SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 15 June 2020, 00:32
Confirmed User

Inversion Tables

I have started having really bad sciatica, my right thigh is numb and when I'm walking around the hospital all day I feel as though my leg is going to give out and spasm and cause me to fall, which has happened twice. Rather than seeking medical attention because I do not want to be placed on narcotics I bought an inversion table and I would just like to know your opinions on if this works if I use it in the morning prior to my 12 hour shift and at night when I get home ? I used to be able to walk at 5.0 on a treadmill, but now cannot even run now. I am not in any pain, except when my legs cramp in the middle of the night. I hydrate all day and have even taken Potassium and Magnesium supplements. Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated.
Old 15 June 2020, 01:45
Legal Immigrant

Late 2013 I did something to my back that caused my sciatic nerve to be pinched. For 3 months I had a knife in my back. Walking, standing, sitting, lying, anything, was extremely painful.

Had a few sessions with a Chiropractor - No change.

About 4 sessions with a physiotherapist, inlcuding Pilates lessons, and it was fixed. No issues since.

Good luck with it.
Old 15 June 2020, 07:24
Authorized Personnel

Dude. Go see a doctor.
Old 15 June 2020, 08:16
Confirmed User

During the first week of Feb 2018, I was out on a homicide investigation and during the course of the investigation I slipped, tripped, lifted something such as a coffee or donut that caused my RI joint area to go insane.

For two years I battled back, leg sciatica etc..
It hurt to sit, walk and I could not run
I drove my insane mentally because I was walking out the door on ADOS orders.

I tried inversion tables, a chiropractor and three therapist.
Finally the 4th therapist worked. She created a stretching regiment and also introduced me to dry needling.

I recently arrived in Bismarck and started working out again. Well I think I got a little big for my britches and started doing to many sets/going to heavy because my is back.

Add in the fact we are working/sitting around for 60 hours a week at work adds to the problem..

I haven't been placed on narcotics and only take an advil occasionally.
Old 15 June 2020, 08:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubuckeye762 View Post
She created a stretching regiment and also introduced me to dry needling.
I've never dealt with either the issue above, or an inversion table. But dry needling legit changed my life when I was dealing with chronic neck, shoulder etc issues. I recommend it to anyone who will listen.
Old 15 June 2020, 08:41
Old Scroll

My wife has had lower back issues for 20+ years. Been to every Doctor, Chiropractic, therapist, masseuse, and quack imaginable during that time.

For the last few years she's used her inversion table 2 or 3 times a day, as it has provided relief, but not a cure. She doesn't go vertical, but rather back to about 75 degrees or so, for about 10 minutes. Sometimes while she's hanging there she'll reach down and pick up a 10, 15, or 20 pound dumbbell that is on the floor below her head. Holding that to her chest increases her weight and consequently the amount of traction that's being applied to her spine. Sometimes she'll hang by only one foot, as her back issues are not bilateral.

Similarly, when I had a tiny bone spur on the C4 vertebra impinging on the superior nerve of the brachial plexus in my neck, causing numbness and weakness in my left arm, I used a sling-type head cradle and essentially hung myself to get such relief that I was actually cured. I'd be seated ass on the floor, back against a door, with 550 cord slung over the door and back down to a two-part sling that held my head by the back of the neck and under the chin. Pulled upward enough to put good tension on the neck, ass still on the floor but a bit lighter now, and would watch TV for half hour or 45 minutes every day. By two weeks all numbness and weakness was gone, and has remained GTG for 11 years now.

Traction such as that provided by an inversion CAN work for you, but it needs to be under a Doc's direction and supervision, as both my hanging around and my wife's inversion table use was and has been. Do what the Gray Rhino says and go see a Doctor.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 15 June 2020, 13:47
Confirmed User

I have yet to try an inversion table but have thought about it for awhile. I injured my back in Afghanistan in 2004, dealt with the pain until 2008 (like a moron) and finally went to a Doc. I had an 11mm rupture/blow out that had been pinching the nerve for way too long.

After surgery the pain was gone but reveled the nerve damage and everything from my ass cheek down to the bottom of my left foot was a tingling numbness, like when your foot falls asleep and then you try to walk on it.

Fast forward to today and the numbness (neuropathy) is still present because of the long term nerve impingement and damage which creates its own problems. Nerves do not grow back past the injured area and if they do it is only a few inches.

Point to my comment is, do not be a stubborn knot-head like I was and wait to get it checked out. You can possibly cause irrevocable nerve damage just because you are trying to be a hard ass and deal with it.
Old 15 June 2020, 15:56
Confirmed User

Ive got L3-L4 fusion and rods/pins in there from an injury along with chronic neck pain from multiple injuries. Spinal strength/flexibility is something that I work on everyday in one form or another.

I seriously looked into the inversion table but never got one. Instead I found that a large exercise ball helped tremendously. Its something that you can lay back on a dozen times a day if need be, whenever you feel the pain coming on. Let your hips hang and decompress that wayI couldnt see myself using the inversion table that many times a day.

Ill do other things too like hang from a door to decompress whenever I feel the need. I wouldn't mind having the table though...

Good luck!!
Old 15 June 2020, 21:32
Legal Immigrant

There's also the issue of long-term back pain being caused by weak back muscles and glutes...once you can hit the gym, do it, and strengthen those normally-weak areas.
Old 16 June 2020, 00:56
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Broken back car accident.
Inversion table, hanging from a pull up bar, and bridging over a Swiss exercise ball were gold for total recovery.

The inversion table was the key to easing into deeper stretches, and seemed to play off hanging from the pull up bar.

No issues any longer.

And damn, go to the doc, get drugs man! Grunt that out and you’ll make it worse.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 16 June 2020, 13:28

In my early 20’s I broke my back and herniated my L4. I managed to ignore it pretty well until my mid 30’s, but it eventually caused other posture related issues in my hips and mid back. The inversion table gave me more relief than anything else I’d been trying (outside of getting engaged to my massage therapist). The one I bought on amazon was only $115 dollars. I’d been skeptical before, but now wish I’d bought one years ago. That, and yoga were game changers for me. Highly recommend inversion therapy.

Our new posting rules