SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 20 November 2019, 08:26
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
What reticle do you use?
I got the Guerilla BDC. I own Strelok Professional, which has the Swampfox Reticles. I then use Strelok to input "my" preferred Ammo, Velocity, BC, and HOB - and Strelok remakes the reticle with your custom BDC points. Then I print a circular copy and put it in the scope cap.

This is for 69gr Federal Gold Medal Match (GM223)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Strelok.jpg (17.2 KB, 114 views)
Old 20 November 2019, 09:26
exquisitus asinus

i might have to take a harder look at swampfox..

the tomahawk has 4.5" of eye relief at its highest setting.. and 5" at its lowest.. as opposed to the vortex strike eagle having 3.5" at its highest setting..

it looks like it has all of the same features of the strike eagle.. and its MSRP is substantially lower..

and the 50,000 round guarantee is attractive..

I know this optic was primarily designed for "tactical" use and 3 gun type stuff.. but Im thinking it might be an excellent low cost option for a big bore bolt gun like a .375 H&H or a .416 Rem Mag.. assuming it can handle the abusive recoil those guns produce..

Big bores are normally used for "dangerous game" and are rarely shot at more than 100 yards (much more often than not they are shot at game thats less than 50 yards away).. so low power variables are highly attractive..

the problem is low cost low power variables with extended eye relief that can stand up to the recoil of a big bore are not very common at all.. youre typically left with only very expensive options like the Swarovski EE 1-4x, or the Zeiss conquest 1-4x, etc.. (there are some reasonable leupold and nikon options out there.. but they lack some of the features of the swampfox and are a bit more expensive.. although not prohibitively expensive)..

I've got a 1-6x strike eagle on my 416 right now.. but that 3.5" makes me a bit nervous when shooting full power loads on the 6x setting.. having an extra inch of eye relief is very attractive..
Old 20 November 2019, 09:39
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
i might have to take a harder look at swampfox..
Join 'Expert Voice' with your credentials - hyooge discount.
Old 20 November 2019, 10:17
exquisitus asinus

already a "member" on EV.. thanks for the heads up..

that brings the price down to under $200 for the 1-4x tomahawk..

that sounds like a thanksgiving day present to myself...
Old 22 November 2019, 13:49
Just fading away....

Thumbs up

Bought a Used Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5 x 20mm MR/T M2 dials with Illum. SPR reticle off of Ebay for $416. Elevation dial was for a 62 Gr. I had Leupold make a dial for the MK262 77Gr. Tested both of the ammo this past weekend out to 600 yds and it was very easy to keep within a minute at 5X. 77Gr was really tight. Extremely pleased. Set up is for my Son. His Birthday is on the 26th.
Old 27 November 2019, 09:23
exquisitus asinus

Well shit...

Contacted swampfox.. they advise the tomahawk will not stand up to the recoil of a big bore..

Still might get one.. looks like a great AR option.. I've got a vortex strike eagle on one of my AR's that I could re-dedicate as a back up big bore scope.. (I've put probably 50 rounds through my .416 with the strike eagle mounted on it in the past... no problems..)...
Old 27 November 2019, 10:17
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
Well shit...

Contacted swampfox.. they advise the tomahawk will not stand up to the recoil of a big bore..

Still might get one.. looks like a great AR option.. I've got a vortex strike eagle on one of my AR's that I could re-dedicate as a back up big bore scope.. (I've put probably 50 rounds through my .416 with the strike eagle mounted on it in the past... no problems..)...
Well, at least they were up front - pretty rare these days.
Old 27 November 2019, 10:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post

My brother has a Bushnell AR15 scope - it is a 1x4 and he paid less than 200 bucks for it. it is actually a pretty decent AR15 plunking scope and what is more important to some folks is that it works and looks cool on the gun - gotta say - for the price and intended use, it was a helluva good buy. I wouldn't buy one to use in 3-gun or as the main optic on a hogkillin' spree but I didnt hate it.

I have that scope that I used on my .223 AR for a while and it worked ok. The glass isn't the best and once it got cloudy, shady, or close to sunset, it was more difficult to use without illumination. It is a very good value scope for daytime range use or non-rugged hunting.

I did switch it over to my .458 AR and I am now suspicious of it holding zero as I the POI seems to wonder around to the left on this rifle. I've remounted it made sure it was guddentite but still have the same effect.

I'll be switching to a Votex soon.

Short of the long is good value for smaller calibers. May not hold zero under heavy recoil.

Our new posting rules