SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 19 June 2018, 19:27

Diverticulosis and SEALs?

Hello. First and foremost thank you for your selfless service.

I've been training for the past year and a half in my pursuance of becoming a SEAL.

Recently I was made aware that I have diverticulosis. This is seeming more and more like game over. Is this a 100% disqualifier? Should I pursue something else? I've gotten mixed answers elsewhere and so I've come here for a defininitive one.

Allow me to make the distinction that it is NOT diverticulitis which is understandably a 100% DQ. But I simply have diverticulosis and it is asymtomatic most importantly. I can't even feel it let alone does it affect me in any way. It only came to my attention unexpectedly after a CT. Diverticulosis very very rarely becomes diverticulitis.

As asymptomatic diverticulosis and not diverticulitis do I need a waiver , or is it unwaiverable and an automatic DQ? How about for the army or the marines?
Old 19 June 2018, 20:05
Confirmed User

This is the Special Forces area, not the SEAL area. I'm not an ODA guy, but one of them is going to tell you to talk to a recruiter. I was a Marine, and Marine is capitalized.
Old 19 June 2018, 21:15
The Sagacious One

You'll get the medical attention ref a waiver if you need one from here.
Old 19 June 2018, 21:23
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ360100 View Post
Recently I was made aware that I have diverticulosis...Allow me to make the distinction that it is NOT diverticulitis which is understandably a 100% DQ. But I simply have diverticulosis and it is asymtomatic most importantly. I can't even feel it let alone does it affect me in any way. It only came to my attention unexpectedly after a CT.
Ok...you have diverticulosis...maybe...maybe not. You knew nothing about it, you were asymptomatic.

Go join the service of your choice. During medical screening, don't bring diverticulitis/diverticulosis up.
Old 20 June 2018, 08:14
BTDT

I'll tell you this (which goes toward what Gavin said ^) - a lot is not known about it still, but you won't convince me it's not a "Fat Man's Disease" (and the medical literature backs this up a bit). I had 2-3 "itis" attacks in pretty quick succession when I was a fat boy 290+ lb'er. Ciprofloxacin and Metronidizole are the treatment unless it's "surgery bad". Once I dropped to 200lbs (6'1" ~ 12% BF) - I've had ZERO in 5 years. A very clean diet came along with that, but I eat nuts and seeds, a supposed "no-no" according to the medical orthodoxy.

BLUF: Get lean, eat healthy, train hard, and don't strain on the John... and don't mention it.
Old 22 June 2018, 05:36
Confirmed User

Diverticulosis, in one form or another, is present in virtually every American over the age of 40. The presence of diverticula in the colon, which are little out-croppings in the bowel wall, put you at risk for developing diverticulitis. Diverticulitis is an infectious process, where a diverticulum gets a piece of poop stuck, it can’t drain back into the colon, and it becomes infected. In severe cases, an abscess can form, rupture, and make you really sick.

But, to answer your question, the presence of diverticula is of no real significance in getting into the military, and it won’t be a disqualified. But you would be astonished about the medical ignorance MEPS providers are capable of, so don’t mention it, as Gavin mentioned. It isn’t a disease any more than having a mole on your ass is a disease. Could a mole become a melanoma? Sure it’s possible, but not real likely. Same thing with diverticulosis.
Good luck,
Danny
Old 22 June 2018, 09:46
0311/8651

Funny you should mention that problem. My good friend, MACV-SOG in Nam, he has mentioned that condition. He can’t eat certain seeds of foods? no, I don’t have an answer, but I did think that condition hit older people, like me, maybe-69yesrs young. Good luck
Old 22 June 2018, 23:21

The physical standards for enlistment and commission into the Navy, as well for special duties such as SEALs, are in NAVMED P-117 Chapter 15.

For Special Operations Duty, regarding diverticulosis:
(4) History of diverticulitis is disqualifying. Personnel with diverticulosis require counseling regarding preventive measures and monitoring for
development of diverticulitis.

So not disqualifying. That being said, agree with not mentioning it at MEPS unless directly asked. I have seen candidates get booted from their programs for lying about their physical condition. but best not to muddy things up at MEPS unless absolutely necessary.
Old 23 June 2018, 10:41
I really don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Go join the service of your choice. During medical screening, don't bring diverticulitis/diverticulosis up.
+1. I thought the same thing.

OP, unless you're in the middle of an attack there is absolutely no way to detect diverticulitis/diverticulosis from. Even ultrasounds and/or scopes can only reveal you have infected diverticuli during an active attack. And if you're going thru an attack, you will not be going to MEPS - you'll be in the bed hating life for days to weeks. Joining the .mil would be the last thing on your mind at that moment. If you truly have it, you may want to consider why. Stress is the #1 factor to set off an attack. Maybe consider that, and what is causing you said stress. If you are younger than 25, that is another factor you should consider. It's rare to have diverticulosis at that age range. But, the only way they'll know is if 1) you tell them, or 2) you've been officially diagnosed and they look at your civilian medical records. I don't think I've ever heard of that happening, not that it can't.

Stress and coping with it is is the reason the services will require counseling if you apply for certain MOS's and they know you have it.

Gavin as always gave great advice. Join! Good luck.

Last edited by ramzmedic; 23 June 2018 at 10:58.
Old 24 June 2018, 07:56
BTDT

My attacks always went like this:

Wow, I must have pulled a hip muscle or something...

Nah, that's not it - probably just have to take a good crap...

Nope - Is my appendix inflamed?... (wrong side).

At that point (after the first one, I started popping Cipro and Flagyl - thank god fish need AB's too, cheaper than the Emergency Room/CVS) you will be flush, sweating, bent over, and every little bump on the way to the E-Room will feel like you are getting stabbed. Mine always felt way better after 24 hours though, maybe 2 days at most. But it *can* kill you, so never ignore pain in that area. N=1
Old 24 June 2018, 08:37
I really don't care

Poly I had one last 13 days. Mine started by me puking first. It was always full of undigested food, sometimes from a few days back. Then the other end takes over and I'm on the WC every 15 minutes. Drinking lots of water and puking can help stop the pain. You must hydrate a lot, as the illness is already drying you out. Alka-Seltzer, Tums, Rolaids, can help a little. Since I cleared away my stress I have not had an episode.
Old 25 June 2018, 20:22
Authorized Personnel

" Stress is the #1 factor to set off an attack. "

Entirely incorrect.

Your symptoms are inconsistent with diverticulitis.
Old 25 June 2018, 20:33
The atomic zit

My best friend had this. Damn near killed him. Crap diet. Surgery fixed the initial...

In his case, he is still alive and has continued adjusting diet.

Our new posting rules