SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 20 May 2019, 18:11
Authorized Personnel

Fort Jefferson

The least visited National Park in the system, for good reason, it's in the middle of nowhere.

Located at the very end of the Florida Keys, Ferry, seaplane or private boat needed for access.

Fair snorkeling, the Ferry cruise provides all the gear.

18 million bricks (from Georgia) and it was never finished.

The moat had a shark in it when we crossed the drawbridge.

DSCN1279.JPG
Old 20 May 2019, 21:31
Confirmed User

Very cool. It is definitely bucket list worthy(which I have not checked yet).
Old 21 May 2019, 13:36
Old Scroll

Dr. Mudd, who set John Wilkes Booth's broken leg, was imprisoned there. He went on to do great work toward treating Yellow Fever, and was pardoned after some years. Used to go over there a couple of times a year when I lived in KW.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 21 May 2019, 18:03
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Dr. Mudd, who set John Wilkes Booth's broken leg, was imprisoned there. He went on to do great work toward treating Yellow Fever, and was pardoned after some years. Used to go over there a couple of times a year when I lived in KW.
Is there anyplace you have not been?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ManMystery.jpg (41.1 KB, 158 views)

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 21 May 2019, 20:22
Old Scroll

LOL, yes, the Pacific rim on the Asia side. My twin brother, the really mysterious one, was on the ball and covered that in quite some detail. I got reports.

ETA: Almost forgot... there's a place on one of the Great Lakes I've not been to. But I DID spend some time not too far away, Camp Perry, where men's balls are put into a special gauge to measure their constitution; cast iron or brass....

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 23 May 2019, 15:52
Researcher @ Large

This has been on the list for a couple of years. What's the take on a good number of days / nights to stay? Day trip or is it worth at least one overnight, etc.?
Old 23 May 2019, 17:05
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
ETA: Almost forgot... there's a place on one of the Great Lakes I've not been to. But I DID spend some time not too far away, Camp Perry, where men's balls are put into a special gauge to measure their constitution; cast iron or brass....
45 mins from me.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 23 May 2019, 20:24
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by specwarnet View Post
This has been on the list for a couple of years. What's the take on a good number of days / nights to stay? Day trip or is it worth at least one overnight, etc.?
Folks do overnight camping, very close to each other as there isn't a lot of room.

By printing out the pamphlet (Fort Jefferson website), you can do a self tour, at your pace, it took us a little over 2 hours.

IMO, you have time to tour the Fort and do some snorkeling and still make the boat ride out.

The ferry from Key West stays docked, open and air conditioned for about 5 hours.

The Dry Tortuga's have great fishing and we saw the tarpon rolling almost continually.

The Ferry is jet drive and a lot of fun when the weather acts up.
Old 24 May 2019, 00:59
Researcher @ Large

Thanks.. due to a childhood near the triangle of death I've always had an interest in forts and coastal artillery. Hard to say how much time I'd want to spend crawling over the fort.
Old 25 May 2019, 14:10
Old Scroll

I'd call it a day trip only. While you certainly can get the permit to camp over, it's uncomfortable, in my opinion, sleeping in the tropics in a tent.

The snorkeling isn't THAT great, and as was already said, the camping is restrictive; you're not gonna be able to go running around in your birthday suit as you'd like to, without some new neighbors probably taking offense.

Day trip to Ft. Jefferson, and do your diving / snorkeling off Looe Key further up the keys, just below the 7 mile bridge and Marathon Key. Key West proper has no diving that's of any note, so go up the keys for that.

Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 30 May 2019, 22:36

I was in Key West visiting friends in February. First time I had ever been down there.

We flew to the Fort in a seaplane operated by Key West Seaplane Adventures. We went on the half day trip and that was about $350. (It takes about 45 minutes to get to the island, you're there for about 2-1/2 hours and then you fly back).

They fly DeHaviland Otter DHC-3 turbine conversions. First time I had ever been in a seaplane.

For some reason I find the big masonry Third System coastal fortresses to be interesting. I've been to Fort Sumter in Charleston and Fort Zachary Taylor in Key West as well.

If you aren't going to snorkel or anything, 2-1/2 hours at the Fort is plenty.

Our new posting rules