SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 29 March 2012, 09:28
Old Scroll

Thumbs up

[dream]
Hate to say it, but you guys would never know I had won
  • A trusted family lawyer who handles big money would set up a trust that is a part of a corporation set up specifically to administer the money
  • My name would never be associated with the lotto in public
    • That's about the most stupid thing a winner can do - guarantees a life of misery fending off beggars
  • The trust would take the full amount annuity, not the instant gratification lump sum
I'd be taking a series of vacations, looking for a home
  • Need several hundred acres
    • Inaccessible & private
    • Gotta have a decent supermarket within 20 or 30 miles
    • Gotta have amazing mountain scenery, hunting and trout fishing
    • Gotta have reliable well water that isn't too terribly deep
  • House doesn't have to be big, 3,000 feet is fine, but it will be NICE:
    • Off the grid, with combo solar, wind, geo, passive heat sinks
    • 1st-rate furnishings throughout, with nice woods, granite, slate, etc.
    • Home theater
    • Basement shop areas for wood, metal, guns, reloading
    • Storage areas for long-term food stores
    • Nice combo barn for animals, hay, vehicles, outside shop area with a forge
    • Fireproof exterior, sprinklers inside
  • Garage needs a couple of nice vehicles, nothing extravagant
    • 4x4 Suburban or equivalent
    • Sedan
    • M-151 with trailer
    • M-35 A2 dump deuce with trailer
    • 35 - 50 horse tractor with full set of gear to hang off the hitch for cultivation, mowing & snowblowing
    • Skidloader with full set of attachments: box blade, bucket, backhoe, auger
    • LARGE in-ground fuel tanks
Several organizations will continue to receive donations - they'll just be a bit bigger.

Immediate family each gets a one-time payment of enough to fix any fears or issues they may have, but not enough to make them think they're on easy street for life.

In a few years I'll host get-together of friends for BBQ, hunting, shooting, fishing, etc.[/dream]

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab

Last edited by B 2/75; 29 March 2012 at 09:40.
Old 29 March 2012, 09:35
Confirmed User

You're going to win a half a billion dollars and be buying a prebuilt house? Fuck that noise, I'm building a Dr.Evil themed mountain lair.
Old 29 March 2012, 09:35
Cry havoc

B275, hate to say it but that pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Send me a PM if you win, so I can tell you where to send my 20M.

The only question would be where. I think I would definitely own a village somewhere in South America.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 29 March 2012, 09:42
Been There Done That

Imagine if you took the whole amount over 20yrs, 25mil a yr before taxes.... With the taxes you would pay I would hope the Govt would name a ship after me...
Old 29 March 2012, 09:43
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy View Post
You're going to win a half a billion dollars and be buying a prebuilt house? Fuck that noise, I'm building a Dr.Evil themed mountain lair.
My Mountain Lair will not be pre-built at all. The search would be for the site

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC2W View Post
B275, hate to say it but that pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Send me a PM if you win, so I can tell you where to send my 20M.

The only question would be where. I think I would definitely own a village somewhere in South America.
I'm thinking Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming, but that's just me

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 29 March 2012, 09:45
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post

Yeah I would too, but I'd still want a small village in SA.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 29 March 2012, 10:27
Drawing my cutlass

My only concern right now is if someone wins in Colorado, every member who calls this state home will be badgered by the same question,

"Hey, justaclerk, did you win?"

We don't lie to each other here and yet the prevailing thought pattern is you don't tell a soul that you won.

Such a quandry.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 29 March 2012, 11:23
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpool View Post
I outsource finding the bird to the dog why not outsource shooting/cleaning the bird too.
This is full of amazing.

Some of you are some practical, boring mothers...I'm going to blow it on $10,000 a night hookers in Monte Carlo while wrecking Ferraris.

In ten years when I finally blow through it all I'll be knocking on SOTB's door asking to live out the rest of my life in his garage on a cot and paying my way with regaling him with tales of how awesome my life was for the previous decade.

P.S. I'm going to dig the Palestinians the biggest well ever.
Old 29 March 2012, 11:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post

Oh, ok.. I was going to say, good god man you need to think outside the box!
Old 29 March 2012, 11:48
Chimpoltle ExtraOrdinary

please... no need in even discussing this , you guys actually winning is slim to none

wait for it.......

because i already bought the winning ticket ...

"Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid... "
-- John Wayne

"AND PLEASE STOP THE TEXT TALK!!!! OMG's and Plz and all of the others dont fly here. We talk like big people here." -- The infamous Virgil Tibbs (of SOCNET, not TV LAND)
Old 29 March 2012, 11:56
Confirmed User

Quick question for everyone. If I was in a lottery pool, and I bought tickets outside of the pool, and I win with those numbers.. Would I have to split it with my coworkers or would it all be mine? I haven't even won yet and people are talking about suing me LOL.
Old 29 March 2012, 12:04
Confirmed User

Tell them they better get good lawyers..
Old 29 March 2012, 12:20
Drawing my cutlass

Have a can of this at the ready....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk14 View Post
Quick question for everyone. If I was in a lottery pool, and I bought tickets outside of the pool, and I win with those numbers.. Would I have to split it with my coworkers or would it all be mine? I haven't even won yet and people are talking about suing me LOL.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 29 March 2012, 12:44
Morte et une dame

In the last couple of weeks, there was a court case resolved in favor of the lottery 'group'. A member of such a lottery-buying group claimed that the winning ticket that he bought was 'outside' the block of tickets that he always buys for the group... and that he didn't have to share it.
The court disagreed

Quote:
Old 29 March 2012, 12:55
Chimpoltle ExtraOrdinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
In the last couple of weeks, there was a court case resolved in favor of the lottery 'group'. A member of such a lottery-buying group claimed that the winning ticket that he bought was 'outside' the block of tickets that he always buys for the group... and that he didn't have to share it.
The court disagreed
not that I achieved any big winnings, but back when i would occasionally do the office pool thing, we would get all of the tickets, scan copies and get them dated, and everyone would sign off and agree this was accurate. Then everyone would get a copy of the tickets, and the tickets would be sealed away in an envelope and left with a nuetral person that wasnt in the pool (our secretary had a relgious belief against gambling but would keep the tickets stowed away in her desk) This way, anyone that bought outside of the pool was safe. Just a thought?

"Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid... "
-- John Wayne

"AND PLEASE STOP THE TEXT TALK!!!! OMG's and Plz and all of the others dont fly here. We talk like big people here." -- The infamous Virgil Tibbs (of SOCNET, not TV LAND)
Old 29 March 2012, 13:11
Confirmed User

Quote:

This was actually on a Stupid News segment on a radio program near me.

This guy won like 6 million tried to say it was a seperate ticket apart from the work pool, so the people shouldn't get anything. They were suing for their share. However, it sounded like the guy was being a greedy bastard.

I would just make sure they are apart of seperate transactions and you can prove that it was an extra ticket or something. In reality, everyone you work with is probably doing/thinking the same thing and already have their tickets and trying to improve their odds
Old 29 March 2012, 13:32
No one special

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostha2008 View Post
not that I achieved any big winnings, but back when i would occasionally do the office pool thing, we would get all of the tickets, scan copies and get them dated, and everyone would sign off and agree this was accurate. Then everyone would get a copy of the tickets, and the tickets would be sealed away in an envelope and left with a nuetral person that wasnt in the pool (our secretary had a relgious belief against gambling but would keep the tickets stowed away in her desk) This way, anyone that bought outside of the pool was safe. Just a thought?
That's the best way to do it. I was in a pool like that before too.

Illinois just started online ticket sales. Bought mine last night without leaving the house.
Old 29 March 2012, 13:37
On the Extract Bird

When I worked at IBM, we pooled our tickets, and as noted, to make sure no one could claim a ticket was theirs alone, we printed a copy of the numbers for everyone in the pool.
Old 29 March 2012, 14:29
Drawing my cutlass

I stand corrected, the jackpot is now up to $540,000,000 with a payout of $390,000,000. Lop 25% off the top ($97,500,000) and any sate and local taxes and you'll probably be left with a paltry $275,000,000. It may breach $600,000,000 by Friday.

Now here's a shitty scenario. Some .01 of 1% buys 100,000,000 tickets (I think you can take a deduction for gambling losses, not too sure, but that's what I've heard) and he wins, tripling his bet for a nice payday. This will inevitably cause riots in the streets. Otherwise, he takes the tax loss and reduces his liability for this year thus increasing his wealth.

Yeah, that would be shitty. Carry on.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy

Last edited by Justaclerk; 29 March 2012 at 14:36.
Old 29 March 2012, 14:48
No one special

Illinois Lottery Website is stating payout of $363mil. Wouldn't that be after state and fed taxes are taken out?
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules