SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 29 September 2017, 22:56
Confirmed User

I've looked around a little on youtube etc and can't find anything other than the accoustic crowd control devices. Unlike mini EMP's, there are no example videos online to actually see how big, or what these things actually are. It seems they would need big batteries though.
Old 30 September 2017, 00:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
I've looked around a little on youtube etc and can't find anything other than the accoustic crowd control devices. Unlike mini EMP's, there are no example videos online to actually see how big, or what these things actually are. It seems they would need big batteries though.
Producing sounds waves for crowd control requires a large unit, not so if you want to make someone sick over time... Could be done on a much smaller scale device with repeated and/or extended exposure to a correct frequency and amplitude of energy. Remember, we cook food this way...
Old 30 September 2017, 08:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Alfred Thayer Mahan wept.
Suspect the Spaniards, and Remember the Maine!

DaveP
Old 30 September 2017, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
Producing sounds waves for crowd control requires a large unit, not so if you want to make someone sick over time... Could be done on a much smaller scale device with repeated and/or extended exposure to a correct frequency and amplitude of energy. Remember, we cook food this way...
This brings up the point that has been ignored, at least in the news, I think. RF does not necessarily include sound. I've been suspecting all along that it is more likely RF and not "sound" waves at all. One of the cautions put to amateur radio operators is to be careful not to point a beam antenna in the VHF (2-meter) band at a neighbor's home because of the high gain of the antenna. Any such behavior is bad, but VHF and UHF are worse; and they are simpler.
Old 30 September 2017, 11:35
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperpusher View Post
I've been suspecting all along that it is more likely RF and not "sound" waves at all.
In radar school at NTS Great Lakes, a common punishment used to be picking up the dead birds on the roof around the radar antennae. The birds were cooked medium rare. Not sure how bad it would be for a person up there with the antenna transmitting, but I wouldn't want to find out.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 2 June 2018, 17:09

So it appears to have happened again in China now to US Staff.........

U.S. worker in China suffers brain injury due to mystery sound 'sensations'

Story below (because fuck NBC's ad revenue):

Quote:
BEIJING — The State Department issued a health alert to U.S. citizens in China on Wednesday after an American government worker suffered a mild traumatic brain injury following mysterious “sensations of sound and pressure.”

The warning follows the U.S. urging Americans not to visit Cuba following sonic incidents there that sickened 21 embassy staffers and their families, and comes as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo prepares to meet Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi in Washington later Wednesday to discuss trade.

The employee in China, who was assigned to the southern port city of Guangzhou, “reported subtle and vague, but abnormal, sensations of sound and pressure,” according to the alert.

“We do not currently know what caused the reported symptoms and we are not aware of any similar situations in China, either inside or outside of the diplomatic community,” it continued.

“While in China, if you experience any unusual acute auditory or sensory phenomena accompanied by unusual sounds or piercing noises, do not attempt to locate their source. Instead, move to a location where the sounds are not present.”

Jinnie Lee, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Embassy in Beijing said the employee reported the symptoms from late 2017 through last month and was eventually taken to the U.S. for further evaluation.

“On May 18, the embassy learned that the clinical findings of this evaluation matched mild traumatic brain injury,” she said. “The department is taking this incident very seriously and is working to determine the cause.”

The Chinese government has promised to investigate, she added.

Cuba has repeatedly denied any involvement in the incidents reported in Havana, and in September invited the FBI to Cuban capital to investigate. But neither government has determined who is responsible. "Some very bad things happened in Cuba," President Donald Trump said at the time. "They did some bad things."

The tourism warning has prompted a drop in visitors to Cuba following a record year in 2017.

Guangzhou, which has a population of about 14.5 million, lies across the Pearl River from Hong Kong.
Old 2 June 2018, 18:20
Confirmed User

Hhhhhmmmmm....me no rikey...
Old 3 June 2018, 00:08
Authorized Personnel

Suffice to say there's been quite an effort to figure out WTF is going on. No answers that I'm aware of. The Guangzhou case is apparently just as perplexing. Clinical MTBI w/no "T".

This article pours cold water on the entire sonic device induced MTBI theory. Essentially says the testing methods were fundamentally flawed.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...tacks-are-real

Not sure who/what to believe. I know some people are hurting and very concerned for their kids.
Old 3 June 2018, 02:18
Red Headed Stepchild

I spend more time than I'd like in Guangzhou. Having seen how some of their other tech works, I'd take odds on it being completely inadvertent. Probably not that much worse for your health than breathing the air there.
Old 3 June 2018, 03:17
Confirmed User

microwave beaming?
Old 3 June 2018, 06:32
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
I spend more time than I'd like in Guangzhou. Having seen how some of their other tech works, I'd take odds on it being completely inadvertent. Probably not that much worse for your health than breathing the air there.
That would be pretty strange for two of our enemies to produce like symptoms half way across the globe ďinadvertentlyĒ. Due to somethig I read somewhere I donít believe itís inadvertent.
Old 3 June 2018, 07:14
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSRonin View Post
Suffice to say there's been quite an effort to figure out WTF is going on. No answers that I'm aware of. The Guangzhou case is apparently just as perplexing. Clinical MTBI w/no "T".

This article pours cold water on the entire sonic device induced MTBI theory. Essentially says the testing methods were fundamentally flawed.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...tacks-are-real

Not sure who/what to believe. I know some people are hurting and very concerned for their kids.
I don't buy it. Thanks for the article.
Old 3 June 2018, 08:40
Been There Done That

Decades ago, there was a problem known, IIRC, as "Sick Building Syndrome".

Essentially, the construction material used in a building and the ductwork used for air handling combined to produce harmonics and sub-sonic frequencies. The reported symptoms remind me of this effect.
Old 3 June 2018, 11:20
Ghey floor sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Decades ago, there was a problem known, IIRC, as "Sick Building Syndrome".

Essentially, the construction material used in a building and the ductwork used for air handling combined to produce harmonics and sub-sonic frequencies. The reported symptoms remind me of this effect.
Haunted houses have used the same concept to create a sense of dread. Frequencies below 20 Hz can be felt, but not heard, and can cause a sense of discomfort. From what I've read, weaponizing infrasound has not been reliably achieved and the effect is subjective. Speakers capable of producing infrasound have to be pretty big and move a lot of air, so infrasound sources aren't easy to hide.
Old 3 June 2018, 12:10
Vivat Fraternitatis

My ASSumption is that someone forgot to jack the wattage down on their EW gear. This misconfiguration along with an accidental polarity switch caused by sideways gangsta gripping their Yagi antenna led to some inadvertent kinetic effects after which the perps were like "Conjo, we can weaponize this holmes" and then began blasting everything with dip plates on sight.
Old 3 June 2018, 12:21
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
My ASSumption is that someone forgot to jack the wattage down on their EW gear. This misconfiguration along with an accidental polarity switch caused by sideways gangsta gripping their Yagi antenna led to some inadvertent kinetic effects after which the perps were like "Conjo, we can weaponize this holmes" and then began blasting everything with dip plates on sight.
But itís been happening IN USEMBís...
Old 3 June 2018, 12:41
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
But itís been happening IN USEMBís...
Dunno. Could be staged malware designed to spin drives or hijack speakers on low side computers to produce resonance-induced ultrasonic sounds. Hopefully someone in charge has half a brain and a crew of nerds is on standby with a Spec-A and some terminal guidance gear to bitchslap the offender on the next go-around.
Old 3 June 2018, 12:49
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Dunno. Could be staged malware designed to spin drives or hijack speakers on low side computers to produce resonance-induced ultrasonic sounds. Hopefully someone in charge has half a brain and a crew of nerds is on standby with a Spec-A and some terminal guidance gear to bitchslap the offender on the next go-around.
LOL, I know what those words mean, individually. Iíll go ahead and bow out
Old 3 June 2018, 14:42
Confirmed User

Send a few retired 1SGs over to DoS. Mandatory ear pro for all Embassy personnel, problem solved.
Old 3 June 2018, 14:53
Scoundrel

Quote:
Hopefully someone in charge has half a brain and a crew of nerds is on standby with a Spec-A and some terminal guidance gear to bitchslap the offender on the next go-around.
Youíve been gone too long if you think that is even a remote possibility.

Especially since nothing was apparently learned/done after the incident last year. Maybe the next time someone rolls into the med unit with brain on their q-tip.

ďIt's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.Ē -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH

Our new posting rules