SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 29 April 2018, 09:58
Confirmed User

Before we got married, my wife and I had a discussion about financial issues. Long story short, we decided that we were in it until death do us part, so everything got merged together, 50/50 on everything.

Then we agreed that I would take care of the bills, bank accounts, etc. I reassured her that I would do everything humanly possible to protect her credit score.

To this day, she tells everyone that's the sexiest thing I've ever said to her.

We bought a pick-up truck together a month or two before the wedding. The dealership was kind of confused by us. They said they had couples in all the time buying vehicles at the beginning of a LTR, but that usually one of them had really good credit, the other's was in the tank. They hardly ever saw a couple come through where both of them had near perfect credit scores.

And I'm like, damn! I never get it right!
Old 29 April 2018, 15:28
BTDT

Double post.
Old 29 April 2018, 15:30
BTDT

I went through two divorces before I met Nancy. I had been a bachelor for approx. 20 years, and didn't feel like I needed anything more.

I had always presumed that I was the smartest guy in most any room I happened to be in, until I met Nancy. We became best friends almost immediately, and we absolutely still are. I am in awe of her intellect, kindness and consideration for others. I still don't know what she sees in me.

Shortly after we first got together, I sold my home, moved to Iowa City, and bought a Townhouse to be closer to her.

There are way too many highlights to list here, but I did get to spend 45 minutes in the Oval Office with a sitting President (Clinton), and he didn't like the conversation we had. Nancy was being awarded The National Medal of Science. The write-up of that meeting is posted on SOCNET.

We were flying back from somewhere, and I had been talking about how much I would like a Corvette. With no hesitation, she said get one. This was in 04, I found a new one in Michigan. DH checked it out for me, and we flew in and drove it home.

A couple of years later I mentioned that I wanted to drive my car to Lingenfelter's for the addition of a 427 cu inch small block. She drove down with me. We drove back about 6 mos later to pick it up. Given how busy she is, this was a big deal. Nancy called it another adventure with her best buddy.

I wake up every day more in love with her that I was the day prior.
Old 29 April 2018, 16:00
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
I went through two divorces before I met Nancy. I had been a bachelor for approx. 20 years, and didn't feel like I needed anything more.

I had always presumed that I was the smartest guy in most any room I happened to be in, until I met Nancy. We became best friends almost immediately, and we absolutely still are. I am in awe of her intellect, kindness and consideration for others. I still don't know what she sees in me.

Shortly after we first got together, I sold my home, moved to Iowa City, and bought a Townhouse to be closer to her.

There are way too many highlights to list here, but I did get to spend 45 minutes in the Oval Office with a sitting President (Clinton), and he didn't like the conversation we had. Nancy was being awarded The National Medal of Science. The write-up of that meeting is posted on SOCNET.

We were flying back from somewhere, and I had been talking about how much I would like a Corvette. With no hesitation, she said get one. This was in 04, I found a new one in Michigan. DH checked it out for me, and we flew in and drove it home.

A couple of years later I mentioned that I wanted to drive my car to Lingenfelter's for the addition of a 427 cu inch small block. She drove down with me. We drove back about 6 mos later to pick it up. Given how busy she is, this was a big deal. Nancy called it another adventure with her best buddy.

Thatís awesome. However, Iím sure we could agree that P cars are far superior
Old 29 April 2018, 16:37
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Thatís awesome. However, Iím sure we could agree that P cars are far superior
When we first me she owned an 89 911 with approximately 10,000 mi, beautiful car, no power anything. She has had a couple of spinal fusions, and her back is not in good shape, it was difficult to drive that vehicle. It was traded in on a 40th anniversary model 911, power steering, brakes, seats, etc.
Old 30 April 2018, 09:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Batt View Post
I am waiting for Sharky to join in before I start taking notes!
I'm still working on my book "A guide to multiple consecutive semi-successful marriages."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Sharky's got 35 years, it's just been with 9 different wives.
Well you didn't exactly help with the last one you met several years ago. "Can I just ask you, what the fuck are YOU doing with HIM?" Although, I didn't marry her....but damn that girl was hot.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 30 April 2018, 09:25
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
but damn that girl was hot.
And quite obviously blind. You're right though, she was hotter than a priest at a Cub Scout meeting.
Old 30 April 2018, 10:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
And quite obviously blind. You're right though, she was hotter than a priest at a Cub Scout meeting.
Do you have a book with those quips in it or what?

Karl Childers
Old 30 April 2018, 12:16
Authorized Personnel

I've only been married for coming up on 9 years, but one big factor that helps us make it work... we were both at that point in our lives where we are settled in our careers when we met. This is my 21st year in LE, and Sue has been in education for over 17 years. We now have two girls, 7 and 5, and moved into a new house July of last year.

I heard a quote that pretty sums up what I think helps me make it work everyday "I don't know how i've done it, but some how I convinced this woman that I'm worthy of her".

I talk smack in the locker room about wife's and what a pain in the ass Sue can be sometimes, but if it wasn't for her and our two girls, I would probably be on my way to rehab, or going back. We are each others checks and balances, and honestly bestfriends. Recently, I put in for a Traffic Unit position. The Lieutenant that was sitting on the interview panel called me later in the day to say that they were going with a candidate that already had a skill set they could use. No worries... But a few weeks later I was asked to help out the Traffic Unit with an event. One of the guys said to me "You are going to be flapping your arms all day and directing traffic. If you want to be part of our unit, you have to prove yourself to us." I looked at him and said "This will probably kill any chance I have, but after 20 years on the job my work speaks for itself, there are only 3 people on this planet I have to prove myself to everyday, and that's my wife and two girls. Thanks but no thanks." Needless to say, I'm still pushing a beat car.

Last edited by tootall; 30 April 2018 at 12:21. Reason: Grammar mistake
Old 30 April 2018, 12:58
Only slightly useless.

Quote:

If that fancy smancy beer company ever wants to do a series of commercials with "The most interesting couple in the world", well we know who they should pick!��

" when life gives you lemons, make grape juice and confuse the hell out of them"
Old 30 April 2018, 13:16
BTDT

[QUOTE=Hopeless Civilian;1058721893]
Quote:

I wake up every day more in love with her that I was the day prior.[/QUOTE

If that fancy smancy beer company ever wants to do a series of commercials with "The most interesting couple in the world", well we know who they should pick!��
Nice.

We are often asked for pictures. I always attempt to get out of the picture, and am surprised when I am asked to step back into the shot.
Old 30 April 2018, 14:15
BTDT

We had been together for a long time, but hadn't gotten married because Nancy couldn't find three days on her calendar for the wedding. When she called to tell me that she had just scheduled our wedding at a beautiful little chapel in Abq., I was taken aback, as I had just gotten off the phone with my doctor who had informed me that I had prostate cancer.

I didn't want to marry my best buddy, until the cancer issue was resolved. At that time we would be able to assess our future in light of the results. To make this a short story, that evening over dinner we had our frank discussion, re the fact that part of me might never work properly again. She just looked at me and said "No Terry we are going to get married". That set me back on my heels, as I expected her to be reasonable about this. I explained all over again why we could not get married. Same response from Nancy. Three times I explained myself, and each time received the same response from my best buddy.

At this point I was exasperated and frustrated and , I told her she was being totally unreasonable, what did she know about cancer, anyway? She reached across the table, took my hand and said "Terry I am a Doctor, of course I know about cancer. My first husband, George died of cancer".

"We are going to get married so I can take care of you!"
Old 30 April 2018, 15:18
Been There Done That

That's some gal you got there Terry.

Karl Childers
Old 30 April 2018, 15:56
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
We had been together for a long time, but hadn't gotten married because Nancy couldn't find three days on her calendar for the wedding. When she called to tell me that she had just scheduled our wedding at a beautiful little chapel in Abq., I was taken aback, as I had just gotten off the phone with my doctor who had informed me that I had prostate cancer.

I didn't want to marry my best buddy, until the cancer issue was resolved. At that time we would be able to assess our future in light of the results. To make this a short story, that evening over dinner we had our frank discussion, re the fact that part of me might never work properly again. She just looked at me and said "No Terry we are going to get married". That set me back on my heels, as I expected her to be reasonable about this. I explained all over again why we could not get married. Same response from Nancy. Three times I explained myself, and each time received the same response from my best buddy.

At this point I was exasperated and frustrated and , I told her she was being totally unreasonable, what did she know about cancer, anyway? She reached across the table, took my hand and said "Terry I am a Doctor, of course I know about cancer. My first husband, George died of cancer".

"We are going to get married so I can take care of you!"
You both earned and deserved the best to be your helpmate/spouse. And you both achieved it.
Old 30 April 2018, 19:44
Been There Done That

My wife and I just celebrated 40 years of marriage in March. We dated for 3.5 years prior and I was already a part of her family.

She's the best friend I've ever had- honest, trustworthy, frugal, a devoted mother and grandmother. She's got a temper (part Cherokee) and we've had some arguments, usually resulting from something stupid I've done. She survived 2 tours in 1/75, 3 years at Regiment and a total of 28 years of the Army life. 3 children in three different towns and 2 states (first and last born in GA but opposite sides of the state).

The woman isn't material at all- not into shoes, clothes, jewelry, and doesn't like candy or cut flowers; it's hell to figure out something to get her for our anniversaries, her birthday, and Christmas. She's not into fancy dining or bar hopping; she's just a simple soul who enjoys the best things in life- family and friends.

She is the absolute proof that God looks out for fools and small children, because I mentally qualify as both...
Old 2 May 2018, 23:07
Been There Done That

bump
Old 3 May 2018, 02:24
Been There Done That

"Make up" sex.

Karl Childers
Old 3 May 2018, 08:53
Confirmed User

Some sage advice here for a guy who got married yesterday. We met three years ago when she came to help me plant some trees for a Fish&Game project I was doing. Now we are expecting a daughter in August and I have an amazing step son. We bought some land last year and are slowly turning it into our homestead. Shes a pretty rare one for this day in age. Not sure there are many women left who would move into a place with no grid power and rainwater collection until I drill a well.
Old 3 May 2018, 10:09
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Some sage advice here for a guy who got married yesterday. We met three years ago when she came to help me plant some trees for a Fish&Game project I was doing. Now we are expecting a daughter in August and I have an amazing step son. We bought some land last year and are slowly turning it into our homestead. Shes a pretty rare one for this day in age. Not sure there are many women left who would move into a place with no grid power and rainwater collection until I drill a well.
Congratulations, in more ways than one!

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 3 May 2018, 11:06
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Some sage advice here for a guy who got married yesterday.
Jubilant blessings and a joyous celebration on this public proclamation of your connubial ritual!

(That's writer-ese for "congratulations!")

Our new posting rules