SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 4 December 2019, 08:50
Confirmed User

National Archives

Have any of you Veterans researched national archives for family members etc.
Pretty surreal, especially when you find stuff family kept on the downlow, at least with my family..
https://www.archives.gov/research/mi...eterans/online
Old 4 December 2019, 23:51
Confirmed User

Not a vet myself, but I have been doing some research on my father's service in Vietnam since he passed away in May. He did not talk much about Vietnam, mostly funny or interesting stories or people that he knew.

I ordered his military records and went from there. I was able to find some documents online regarding his unit shipping out from Ft Bragg and arriving at Cam Rahn Bay in October 66. Some monthly activity reports and Lessons Learned reports, but nothing with his name on it. I did find reference numbers for documents preserved in College Park, MD which can be reviewed in person. Its only a 90 minute drive for me so I may make an overnight trip and spend some time looking through them.
Old 5 December 2019, 06:29
Confirmed User

I like the site. Very fast. I am sure many can remember having to send paperwork in and wait weeks to get something back.
Old 10 December 2019, 09:58
Confirmed User

I am going to try to obtain information regarding my paternal grandfather.

I spent many a summer and fall days working with him and he never real talked about his time fighting through the Pacific except for funny stories, the bugs in New Guinea or how he loved his M1 Garand.

I have a partially destroy DD214 that shows his Army Service Number but not his Social.

What I know:

He was last assigned to the 57th Coast Artillery Surface Warning Battalion. (My dad told me at one time he was attached to a Recon and Intelligence unit).

He was inducted at Fort Benjamin Harrison and seperated at Camp Atterbury Indiana.

This is the part of the DD214 that is missing/destroyed:

Fought: Leyte, Luzon, Philippines, New Guinea

Earned the Driver Badge, Rifle Marksmen ship.

Medals: (All but destroyed)
Unknown Ribbon with 3 Bronze Stars
Good Conduct Ribbon
Victory Medal
Unknown Ribbon with 1 bronze star

The rest is missing.

He did tell me he went awol to see my grandma before he shoved off.

The DD214 states he lost 17 days

I would like to see my fathers DD214 from his time in Vietnam attached to an Mech/Armored unit around Bong Son in 1968-1969 but he will show me when he is ready.
Old 10 December 2019, 10:06
Confirmed User

After going through the site, I found some data on my Mothers Father. He was in the Philippines 42 to 45, US Army. Once I asked my Mom about it, and Dad, I got nothing in return. Didnt understand why.. So, I researched POW from that time frame, his name popped.. Might be why no one ever talked of it..

Our new posting rules