Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 13 July 2016, 12:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
When I said I had met/worked with a few good ones sinjefe you were one of the ones I had in mind
Same to 'ya. Especially after our "bonding experience" with "Coale, Virgil, Coale"
Old 13 July 2016, 13:54
Been There Done That

If I

"If I don't come out on the next 7 list I'm putting in my packet."

Heard that more than once. Maybe there was a reason .......

Knew a couple who put in packets while MSG's - that sure wasn't because they didn't make a list.
Old 13 July 2016, 15:09
Timing is Everything

Thanks for the input everybody!
As I said before, I've been retired a long time. As I understand it (correct if I'm wrong) there is a W-1/W-2 at the A-Detachment, a W-3 at the B Team, W-4 at Battalion and W-5 at Group.
Is this a pipeline similar to the chain of command, if so what's it called?
I know WOs have expanded (W-5 is new) to many branches since I got out. My brother-in-law is stationed in Germany as a CW3 with ADA. I heard a rumor about WOs in the Infantry.
But how far does this go? ....I mean , is there a "Warrant Officer Of The Army" now?
Old 13 July 2016, 15:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan51shovel View Post
Thanks for the input everybody!
As I said before, I've been retired a long time. As I understand it (correct if I'm wrong) there is a W-1/W-2 at the A-Detachment, a W-3 at the B Team, W-4 at Battalion and W-5 at Group.
Is this a pipeline similar to the chain of command, if so what's it called?
I know WOs have expanded (W-5 is new) to many branches since I got out. My brother-in-law is stationed in Germany as a CW3 with ADA. I heard a rumor about WOs in the Infantry.
But how far does this go? ....I mean , is there a "Warrant Officer Of The Army" now?
There has been a push to "professionalize" the SF Warrant Corps, in terms of professional civilian and military education, identification of key and developmental assignments, career track models, etc. The result is mixed, as all of that leads toward warrants spending less time in duty positions due to "check-the-block" requirements, and that ends up meaning that warrants are not gaining the experience needed to be a technical and tactical expert, and a pillar of continuity in the force.

In my opinion, we end up with Ws doing the work of "traditional" commissioned "O" officers, but not getting paid for it. Right now, I have a CW3 and a CW4 as my supervisor and my company commander, both of them doing O-4 jobs, getting paid as Ws.

And yes, there will soon be a CCWO of the Army.
Old 13 July 2016, 17:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
It's been over 2 years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Staff_Senior_Warrant_Officer
Old 14 July 2016, 05:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
There has been a push to "professionalize" the SF Warrant Corps, in terms of professional civilian and military education, identification of key and developmental assignments, career track models, etc. The result is mixed, as all of that leads toward warrants spending less time in duty positions due to "check-the-block" requirements, and that ends up meaning that warrants are not gaining the experience needed to be a technical and tactical expert, and a pillar of continuity in the force.

In my opinion, we end up with Ws doing the work of "traditional" commissioned "O" officers, but not getting paid for it. Right now, I have a CW3 and a CW4 as my supervisor and my company commander, both of them doing O-4 jobs, getting paid as Ws.

My younger brother experienced exactly this when he deployed to AFG w/ the NY NG as a W4. He was an AGR aviator and ended up being the responsible agent for all aspects of the deployment, mission planning in country and re-deployment home.
Old 14 July 2016, 05:24
Confirmed User

Sorry, sneezed, pressed a button by accident and never finished! Anyways, once my brother returned, he was promoted to W5 and was a candidate for the Senior W5 in the NY State NG. Said he was sick of being responsible for so much of the paperwork responsibilities in the unit that he retired.
He hated that he had to do so much of the O work to do and had less and less time to be the senior W in the unit. And could not imagine what the paperwork was going to be if he was THE senior W5 in NY
Old 14 July 2016, 09:36
Been There Done That

I know when I was in 19th Group, about half, maybe even more than half o the ODAs were commanded by a WO. Seemed each team either had a WO or a 0-3. Not both. Come to think of it, it was that way as well when I was in 1st Group - at least in my company.

A lot of W0s in the 3 shop. Trying to remember the W04 or 5, Asian/ Japanese guy, who had the nickname "Inspector Gadget". And then the other WO we had at Bn level, who had been SF, became an WO aviator, then went back to SF as a WO. Drove the old Land Rover, a pre-Sadinista Nicaragua veteran, and was best friends with "Colonel Kurtz".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 14 July 2016, 10:06
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Drove the old Land Rover, a pre-Sadinista Nicaragua veteran.....
Lol. That line brought back some memories. Seemed that when we deployed South our rentals for the mission were always a few of these. Great vehicles, and a blast to drive.

On one deployment we got one stuck in a river in the middle of nowhere. me and another guy walked a few miles up the rode to a village. I paid some guys with horses (and a horse for me) and we rode back to the river and pulled the vehicle out with old fashioned horse power.

Another time we had a weekend in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. We were out drinking Pacenas, eating good food, etc. We were starting through an intersection and a Russian Lata cab came blowing through. Hit the ass end of the cab, with the big steel bumper on the front of the Land Rover and, just like in a Chevy Chase "Vacation" movie, ripped the Lata perfectly in half. The front end (with driver) kept going forward, and the rear end (with two drunk guys) spun off to the side. When we stopped and jumped out to chck on everyone the drunk guys were still seat belted in the back half, passed out, and the driver was fine, but of course pretty pissed off. We paid the driver $250 and he was happy as a clam, so no Policia.
Old 14 July 2016, 13:47
Confirmed User

"And then the other WO we had at Bn level, who had been SF, became an WO aviator, then went back to SF as a WO. Drove the old Land Rover, a pre-Sadinista Nicaragua veteran, and was best friends with "Colonel Kurtz".

Perhaps this WO had a red flat top haircut, always stuck his dip in his upper lip cuz he burned out the lower lips? Had a red E Type Jaguar stashed in his garage? If so I think his first name was Pete, but can't recall his last name. Did quite a bit of time in 7th Grp. before becoming an Aviator.
Old 14 July 2016, 14:10
Been There Done That

Jimbo...

I failed to properly articulate "CDR's on all levels". I did not mean direct, organizational, strategic levels.

I did mean ODA to Co to Bn. A 180 worth a shit is already going to have influence in these realms. He should already be trusted by key personnel at these levels. He should be able to back channel up and down. Then to make sure his A and Z are aware of WTF is going on and how to win/not fuck up. But also how to provide the right information to the BN/CO CDR/WO/SGM to assist in accomplishing the mission.

Our new posting rules