Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 23 March 2016, 20:46
Been There Done That

Man, what a great speech in defense of Marland. The most striking moment in that speech to me was at the 4:20 mark, when he says, "It demonstrates something to be proud of, when a small boy, in a foreign country, where they don't speak the same language, and barely knows this person, and see him...sees that flag on his shoulder... as a symbol of someone he can go to for protection."

If the only thing that precipitated that "no" box check on Army values was that one incident...we have badly lost our way.
Old 27 March 2016, 21:06
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
This...is....the...type...of...man...who...should. ..be...running...for...the...presidency.
Yep.
Old 28 April 2016, 20:41
Preparing to defend

Just saw this come across. Interesting development.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/04/28/army-retains-decorated-green-beret-it-planned-to-kick-out-over-confronting-afghan-child-rapist.html?intcmp=hpbt2
Old 28 April 2016, 21:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
Just saw this come across. Interesting development.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/04/28/army-retains-decorated-green-beret-it-planned-to-kick-out-over-confronting-afghan-child-rapist.html?intcmp=hpbt2
First off, that's great that SFC Martland will remain in the Army, bravo to him for a job well done!

Second, and I apologize if this is out of my lane, but will he still have a career in the Army after this? With all the publicity and potentially political strings being pulled (appropriately in my opinion) it seems like the chances of someone being pissed about this and/or his profile being considered to high are pretty high.

Just curious.
Old 28 April 2016, 22:27
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakers View Post
First off, that's great that SFC Martland will remain in the Army, bravo to him for a job well done!

Second, and I apologize if this is out of my lane, but will he still have a career in the Army after this? With all the publicity and potentially political strings being pulled (appropriately in my opinion) it seems like the chances of someone being pissed about this and/or his profile being considered to high are pretty high.

Just curious.
I think that regardless, this is a big win for him and the American way of life.

Sure some people are probably angry. But then there are PLENTY of others that would gladly welcome the man into their unit.
Old 28 April 2016, 23:01
jump fiend

Out of my lane, but stoked to hear about this win. Acquired sense (what SHOULD) be common sense, finally prevailed.
Grief comes, but time will ease the pain.
Life ends, but death cannot erase it.
In memory, they will always remain.
Old 28 April 2016, 23:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakers View Post

Just curious.
Well, you can bet nobody who writes his next NCOER is going to play fuck-fuck with the "Army Values" check boxes
22 Aug 17
Old 29 April 2016, 01:02
Been There Done That

Just read the decision from DA. He is only being given 60-90 day reprieve to submit an appeal. He is not out of the woods yet. At least they are now giving him a chance to appeal.

The MSM is again not reporting the whole story but jumping for the quick headline.....
Old 29 April 2016, 07:45
Been There Done That

Well, I wish him and his tm the best of luck. If he wins/beats it, personally I would say FUCK SF and reclass.

With the lack of support he had form his CoC...FUCK them.. Ride it out and retire...

Spineless bastards...
Old 29 April 2016, 09:28
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Just read the decision from DA. He is only being given 60-90 day reprieve to submit an appeal. He is not out of the woods yet. At least they are now giving him a chance to appeal.

The MSM is again not reporting the whole story but jumping for the quick headline.....
Damn.

Well at least a step in the right direction.

Thanks for clearing-up.
Old 29 April 2016, 10:34
Confirmed User

Glad they are at least giving the Army a chance to un-fuck the goat and (hopefully) give him a fighting chance.
Old 29 April 2016, 10:48
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
I think that regardless, this is a big win for him and the American way of life.

Sure some people are probably angry. But then there are PLENTY of others that would gladly welcome the man into their unit.
Who could possibly be ANGRY that this guys stood up for "American Values"?

Give me a name, and I will go visit them personally, and ass fuck them within an inch of their life, with a Louisville Slugger...

Not even those ridiculous SJW's could be "Angry"...
HK

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!
Old 29 April 2016, 12:17
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmike View Post
Who could possibly be ANGRY that this guys stood up for "American Values"?

Give me a name, and I will go visit them personally, and ass fuck them within an inch of their life, with a Louisville Slugger...

Not even those ridiculous SJW's could be "Angry"...
HK
Apparently some people somewhere were, and probably still are - otherwise this whole ordeal would have been a nonissue from the get-go (which it should have been a non-issue).
Old 29 April 2016, 12:41
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:

Even if he's "allowed" to stay in, this is merely symptom mitigation.

The cancer that caused this BS is not being addressed. The uniformed mutagens at the core of the problem need to be identified and excised.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 30 April 2016, 11:50
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
Even if he's "allowed" to stay in, this is merely symptom mitigation.

The cancer that caused this BS is not being addressed. The uniformed mutagens at the core of the problem need to be identified and excised.
Bingo Until the spineless fucks who pressured this NCOER are castrated (physically and metaphorically) the work isn't done. A battle may have been won but the war is far from over.
Old 30 April 2016, 21:05
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:

I won't celebrate yet, but it's a step in the right direction at least.

A similarly mind boggling one from the USAF side:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/12/24/air-force-reinstates-pilots-disciplined-over-miley-themed-texts-reps-hail-decision.html

http://www.jqpublicblog.com/in-message-to-wing-commanders-welsh-declares-zero-privacy-doctrine-for-all-airmen/

TL/DR: three instructor pilots were on the way out the door with UOTHC discharges for LITERALLY nothing more than texting each other some Miley Cyrus lyrics. Now clearly that is super gay and shows questionable judgement all on its own, but the amazing part is how long all this went on before the USAF (arguably) pulled its head out of its ass. If you want to really get pissed off, read the whole second article.

Incompetence stupidity and careerism are nothing new but based on some of the unbelievably stupid shit I've seen in the last 5 or 6 years, I really wonder what the military will be like in another 10.

Is there a thread for stupidest decisions of all time? If not we should start one.
Old 6 May 2016, 09:51
Been There Done That

Duncan Hunter (my Rep here) is getting ready to go on Fox.
Old 7 July 2016, 19:36

There was a time when military leadership was able to deflect undue political hardship away from the troops. We now live in a world where the political pendulum swings so far that it takes the innocent with it. Political appointees act like demi-gods spewing ideology instead of doing their jobs. I wish I felt that it could get better, but it's gonna take one hell of a blockade to stop the pendulum already in motion. And dare I say, that either way people's careers are gonna get hurt.
Old 21 July 2016, 15:36
Been There Done That

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/07...ack-ruse.html#

While I applaud the efforts of this bill and find it to be appealing in theory, it still does not protect us from the NCOER which is written at the tactical level, way below the cut-line of politicians in the Beltway. There are still plenty of ways to show a guy the door without directly bringing charges against him for "egregious" acts conducted in the name of moral justice.

Anybody hear any recent developments on Martland?
The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards. -William F. Butler
Old 21 July 2016, 18:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo72 View Post
Anybody hear any recent developments on Martland?
Have not heard, but I'll be surprised if he can avoid QMP. While the Appeal Board struck the "Army Values" blocks, they don't have the authority (as far as I know) to change the "Relief For Cause." There is a time limit on a Commander's Inquiry, and he is way past the deadline. Besides, he's been sky-lined now.

Our new posting rules