Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 14 August 2016, 17:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Since pretty much everybody on earth calls him Willy T...
Hahaha. I didn't want to blow his cover.
Old 14 August 2016, 22:14
BT,WBTWC

Quote:
What he and his fellow jumpers failed to notice was that Ahn accidentally attached his ruck sack to the ripcord of his reserve chute. When Ahn jumped, the weight of the 39-pound pack immediately deployed the reserve parachute.
So if I'm reading this correctly:

One: Jumper hooks up his rucksack to a reserve ripcord grip(!?)

Two: Upon exit, the reserve immediately deploys (duh .. its ripcord has been pulled by his ruck).

Three: Due to a long overlooked manufacturer defect, a reserve soft link was never stitched (what happened to connector links, even "french links")?

Four: The reserve streamers, due to 1/4 of its suspension lines flying free in space.

Five: The jumper (who has? or has not?) pulled his main ripcord, believes his main has malfunctioned (this was a HAHO, so he would have yet been at altitude when the main should have deployed).

Six: In the (incorrect) belief that his main has deployed and streamered, he activated his canopy release assembly (3 ring circus), expecting to reenter freefall.

Seven: Despite the release of his main, he continues to descend under a streamer. Probably in the belief that his has a horseshoe or other cut-away resistant main malfunction, he pulled his hook knife and cut the remaining (streamering) reserve suspension lines.

Eight: That released his reserve, but when he went for the reserve ripcord grip, it was gone, carried away by the rucksack when the ruck put it under load.

Nine: If he ultimately realised he had literally "cut away" his reserve, and pulled/attempted to pull his main ripcord, deployment would have been futile ... the canopy release assemblies had already been released.

He impacted with no canopy at all.

Plenty of blame all around. As if assigning blame was important at this point.
Old 15 August 2016, 21:25
Been There Done That

I'm wondering why the JMPI didn't catch the rucksack being rigged improperly. Even a buddy check should have caught that prior to exit.

Yet another reason to not use soft links. Jesus.
Old 16 August 2016, 01:54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
I'm wondering why the JMPI didn't catch the rucksack being rigged improperly.
The guy was a qualified rigger, too. German wings, MFF, Rigger....one would have thought he was experienced enough and trained enough to catch something like that(!)

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 16 August 2016, 22:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
The guy was a qualified rigger, too. German wings, MFF, Rigger....one would have thought he was experienced enough and trained enough to catch something like that(!)
One would also think that an experienced jumper wouldn't get a static line wrapped around his knee either .

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Our new posting rules