Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 9 February 2012, 18:28
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Sam View Post
They'll give you a hearing test, the one where they play tones at different decibels and you push a thumb thing when you hear it.

11B/90mm gunner/gun team...you'll get it.
That's the "Pure Tone Threshold" test you're referring to which tests hearing loss at different frequencies. Which you'll only get a 0% for unless you are almost completely deaf. There is no "test" for Tinnitus. Its purely subjective.
You tell the doc you have a "ringing, whistling etc. type noise in your ear. He says ok. Almost automatic 10% with combat arms MOS as it is easily verifiable that you were around loud noises. For sure if you've been in combat, in a combat MOS that is.
Old 9 February 2012, 18:34
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrdrew View Post
Just submitted my claim yesterday, hopefully 11B and 90mm gunner/gun team member will rate. We'll see.
You should get it. My letter said specifically, "Due to your MOS and combat deployment, it was determined you had a high likelyhood of exposure to loud noises...etc." It might take a year or more, but its retroactive back to the time of filing.
Old 9 February 2012, 20:57
Nonrate

Yup, what Hostile said. Got denied initially with 0%, then a day later got a letter stating "a special review was done for your claim, you have been awarded 10%"

Never went to any of the appointments either. From start to backpayment was 8 months.

But hey, you're a Marine. Bang all the fat ugly broads you want.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- BigNickT
Old 9 February 2012, 21:04
Nonrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERadwanski View Post
how will this affect my employment/ re-enlistment?

I think there is something about receiving VA disability compensation while serving on active duty. You have to notify the VA to stop the payments. Otherwise they will make you pay back whatever was paid to you while on active duty.

I have a coworker who is reserve that explained this to me just the other day. Incurred a 3k debt because of it.

I would ask Ddog as he would know exactly.

But hey, you're a Marine. Bang all the fat ugly broads you want.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- BigNickT
Old 10 February 2012, 07:41
Been There Done That

If you are in a Reserve or National Guard unit you can collect VA Comp. Only when you are not in a drill/pay status. There is a VA form (I looked but could not find it) that you fill out once a year showing how many days pay you recieved, your commander has to sign it. You submitt that to your Regional Office. Most of the time your Mil Pay is higher.
ERadwanski: 99% of the time your unit will not be notified of you recieving comp. If you have severe PTSD the VA will notifiy unit... I hope I answered your questions.
Old 10 February 2012, 23:07
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
If you are in a Reserve or National Guard unit you can collect VA Comp. Only when you are not in a drill/pay status. There is a VA form (I looked but could not find it) that you fill out once a year showing how many days pay you recieved, your commander has to sign it. You submitt that to your Regional Office. Most of the time your Mil Pay is higher.
ERadwanski: 99% of the time your unit will not be notified of you recieving comp. If you have severe PTSD the VA will notifiy unit... I hope I answered your questions.
Really? There are some guys seriously fucked up from their service, and you guys chat about this bullshit?

I work with a number of SOF guys that got shot up and show up to work everyday. NONE of us hear well. Unreal.

Good luck with your claims
Old 12 February 2012, 16:15
On the Extract Bird

With all due respect, Tripod: I don't think anyone of these warriors is trying to equate tinnitus or PTSD with a gunshot wound. (And certainly not with the major sacrifice you made for the nation.) Nor does it seem to me they are complaining. My impression is that they are just trying to figure out how to get treatment for what are in fact life-altering conditions, especially in their most severe forms. I don't think the fact that they may not be the most life-altering of all injuries means they're "bullshit."

I'm just a civilian. But I am a taxpayer. My money is going to the VA, and I sure as hell want the VA to provide the treatment it's obligated to provide. I don't care if it's PTSD, tinnitus, or whatever the injury is--it's all a sacrifice for the nation, and the government has the obligation to provide treatment. Uncle Sam sent you guys over there; treating you for any injury that happened to you is the least Uncle Sam can do. If a guy goes over there and an IED makes weird noises ring in his head the rest of his life, I damn sure want the tax-supported agency whose job is to treat Service members to do whatever it can to help him.

My hat is off to any warrior who experienced a combat injury of any type--and to anyone who has served.

Thank you for your service.

Last edited by PallidCivilian; 12 February 2012 at 16:32.
Old 28 February 2012, 21:13
Confirmed User

Often doctors cannot diagnosed hearing loss because they can't operate the audiogram. Audiologists can and they have connection to ear doctors. See Military Audiology Association - at www.militaryaudiology.org/. Some work with/alongside the VA.
if your first request was denied, keep appealing. The SSA has a nice booklet on how to appeal.....
Old 29 February 2012, 08:26
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallidCivilian View Post
But I am a taxpayer.
We're all taxpayers.

Why are you posting in the Veterans Issues forum?
Old 29 February 2012, 11:48
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Really? There are some guys seriously fucked up from their service, and you guys chat about this bullshit?

I work with a number of SOF guys that got shot up and show up to work everyday. NONE of us hear well. Unreal.

Good luck with your claims
I've got a raging case of tinitis, and I'm not sure I understand why anyone is seeking compensation, or some sort of disability designation. I have huge trouble concentrating, going to sleep, and just keeping my wits with the high pitched noise in my head. But at no point am I physically prevented from doing anything.

It is one thing to get some hearing assistance equipment from the VA, but compensation? Really?

Perhaps the claim is getting cratered because it isn't reasonable to want compensation for something that does not physically prevent one from accomplishing day to day tasks.
Old 29 February 2012, 13:32
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpCut View Post
We're all taxpayers.

Why are you posting in the Veterans Issues forum?
Exactly. Service members pay taxes too. And, why is PallidCivilian posting in a VA forum? Especially when his profile states "I have no military or law enforcement experience whatsoever." I would suggest adopting a "read more, post less" mantra Pallid.
Old 29 February 2012, 13:44
Teaching my cat to read..

If there is anywhere on this board that is appropriate for civilians to weigh in, I would have to say it's the veterans area.
Care of veterans should be a shared discussion. It might make the country less blood thristy the next time a dictator looks at us the wrong way.
Pallid Civilian- thaks for giving a shit about veterans, unlike a large number of your civilian counterparts. And thanks for lending your outside perspective to the discussion.
Old 29 February 2012, 17:41
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
I've got a raging case of tinitis, and I'm not sure I understand why anyone is seeking compensation, or some sort of disability designation.

It is one thing to get some hearing assistance equipment from the VA, but compensation? Really?
That's why I filed my claim. You can't get any help from the VA if you don't. I didn't know I would receive compensation for the claim, which also included hearing loss. I wanted to get into the system so if it becomes worse or I have complications due to it I can receive treatment for something I legitimately contracted as a direct result of my service. I agonized for a long time about it because I, too, didn't want to be a burden. But the way I see it is if you served and have a legitimate illness, injury, disease...you rate it, no matter how insignificant. There is a far larger percentage of people out there on welfare who don't rate to be breathing oxygen, much less cashing the check they receive every month from the government tit for doing nothing but sitting on their asses and copulating at the rapid rate. Just my .02.
Old 29 February 2012, 19:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
I've got a raging case of tinitis, and I'm not sure I understand why anyone is seeking compensation, or some sort of disability designation. I have huge trouble concentrating, going to sleep, and just keeping my wits with the high pitched noise in my head. But at no point am I physically prevented from doing anything.

Perhaps the claim is getting cratered because it isn't reasonable to want compensation for something that does not physically prevent one from accomplishing day to day tasks.
You earned your Veteran's Benefits. You don't want them good for you. That doesn't make the rest of us wrong.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 29 February 2012, 19:43
Been There Done That

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2
I've got a raging case of tinitis, and I'm not sure I understand why anyone is seeking compensation, or some sort of disability designation.

From Hostile:
That's why I filed my claim. You can't get any help from the VA if you don't. I didn't know I would receive compensation for the claim, which also included hearing loss. I wanted to get into the system so if it becomes worse or I have complications due to it I can receive treatment for something I legitimately contracted as a direct result of my service. I agonized for a long time about it because I, too, didn't want to be a burden. But the way I see it is if you served and have a legitimate illness, injury, disease...you rate it, no matter how insignificant. There is a far larger percentage of people out there on welfare who don't rate to be breathing oxygen, much less cashing the check they receive every month from the government tit for doing nothing but sitting on their asses and copulating at the rapid rate. Just my .02.

From BM2Bob
You earned your Veteran's Benefits. You don't want them good for you. That doesn't make the rest of us wrong.

From Topp
If you got injured or got a disease while serving in the military they owe you. If you do not want to recieve these benefits, do not apply for them. Some of our Vets truly need to recieve these benefits. Listen, all of you young and old vets. If you have a problem go get it checked out. If anything you might recieve free healthcare. Its not like we did'nt earn it.....

Last edited by Stopp700; 29 February 2012 at 19:49. Reason: pasting did not work
Old 29 February 2012, 19:46
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Its not like we did'nt earn it.....
Steel on target.
Old 1 March 2012, 07:09
Morte et une dame

Re: civilians.
I've been well taken care of by the VA since 1968.
I don't know that ANYONE in that system was a Veteran and that doesn't matter.
Old 1 March 2012, 07:29
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Re: civilians.
I've been well taken care of by the VA since 1968.
I don't know that ANYONE in that system was a Veteran and that doesn't matter.
Before this gets any further off topic...

I have no problem with anyone (civilian or otherwise) posting in a veterans area, as long as he/she has something of substance to contribute other than a rambling thesis about how much he/she cares about the plights of veterans. There are plenty of forums for that on mil.com. PallidCivilian has never served and has no dog in the fight other than 'taxes'. Nor does he represent the Veterans Administration, an Audiologist or other relevant organization that treats tinnitus, and thus my original response.

Back on point:

FWIW, my jaw was broken while on active duty and it was misdiagnosed as a dislocation (Go Navy!). It healed improperly and I now have a double dose of TMJ and tinnitus that rings so loudly it often drowns out conversation, and headaches that rival a cheap gin hangover. So this thread is of interest, even though I've never considered filing benefits. I don't fault those that do file; as vets they've earned that right, just as Tripod has earned the right to call bullshit on it.

Last edited by JumpCut; 1 March 2012 at 07:45.
Old 1 March 2012, 09:26
Administrator

I'll settle the debate. If you're a civilian you shouldn't post in this area if your first hand experience with the subject equals zero.

That is non waiverable.
Old 1 March 2012, 11:10
Teaching my cat to read..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallidCivilian View Post
Your post
FYI- What you're talking about is medical care. This thread is about disability benefits (monetary compensation).
The VA provides some of the best medical care you can find, at least in my experience. This is done by the Veterans Health Administration.
Disability Compensation is run by the Veterans Benefits Administration. A lot of time when you hear of veterans "getting the shaft" on your local news or whatever, it's in relation to this. The medical care, by and large, is a seperate issue.
So, IMO, the healthcare for veterans is great. Disability compensation is great as well, it's just a very bureaucratic process that can take a lot of time. This doesn't prevent veterans from getting care (for the most part). Remember, for every story you hear of a veteran getting "screwed", there are always two sides.

Our new posting rules