Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 8 July 2016, 10:09
Been There Done That

Was not there some SF 18D, who had to E&E thru the jungle, after getting either Helicopter he was in shot down or getting separated from his ODA/El Salvadorians? Heard this story, or something like this being told to us by one of our graders about one of our other graders during Robin Sage in '92.

Apparently the Medic was held in very high regard and awe by the other faculty in the Q course. I cannot remember his name though. Kind of a taller lanky guy IIRC.

Anyone know this story?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 8 July 2016, 12:36
Been There Done That

It may have been Tommy Grace, he got burned up pretty bad in a helo shootdown/crash.

I went to O&I with him, (85/6) it happened after that. I also believe he was a medic IIRC

When he was in the hospital at Ft Sam I and some members of the 18E committee went to see him.

This was in the late '80s
Old 8 July 2016, 13:55
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebo View Post
It may have been Tommy Grace, he got burned up pretty bad in a helo shootdown/crash.

I went to O&I with him, (85/6) it happened after that. I also believe he was a medic IIRC

When he was in the hospital at Ft Sam I and some members of the 18E committee went to see him.

This was in the late '80s
Yep - sounds like it would be Tommy. He was an 18D and went on to be a SGM. Not real sure about the E&E part though. Another guy was killed in that crash (name escapes me at the moment) - and IIRC Tommy and couple of other survivors did have to wait awhile before help arrived.
Old 8 July 2016, 14:08
Been There Done That

Would that have been Fronius???
Old 8 July 2016, 14:46
Authorized Personnel

No - Fronius was KIA at the cuartel in El Paraiso, Chalatenango province during a mortar attack
Old 8 July 2016, 18:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Another guy was killed in that crash (name escapes me at the moment) - and IIRC Tommy and couple of other survivors did have to wait awhile before help arrived.
John Raibon.
Old 8 July 2016, 18:42
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Nah - I'm not the guy for that. I was a small fish in that ocean. Quite a few other guys that have much better stories than I would ever have.
Stepping waaaay out of my lane here, but maybe others do have better stories but need a "voice" to communicate it...who better than one of their own who is not out to co-opt their glory?

Back to my lane of watching the fast cars drive by.

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 9 July 2016, 09:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
John Raibon.
Yup, that's him RIP...
Old 10 July 2016, 20:25

Lynn Keen.
Old 10 July 2016, 20:38

Tommy and Lynn had only recently arrived in San Salvador as members of the MedMTT. If memory serves me, the two pilots, Raibon and another, Dep Cdr and one other were the other four on the helo. They were attempting to get to the training base, CEMFA, near La Union, where a shooting incident injured a U.S. soldier there. It was a bad night.
Old 11 July 2016, 09:19
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_SOF_Intel View Post
..... near La Union, where a shooting incident injured a U.S. soldier there.
There were quite a few serious gunfights around La Union - one especially when the G's tried a final push (like the TET offensive) to gain more ground prior to the beginning of the peace talks that ultimately ended the conflict. I know at least one of our guys earned a Silver Star there, and another a PH.
Old 11 July 2016, 12:10
Been There Done That

Love reading up on this history, RIP to the fallen during this time period.
Old 11 July 2016, 12:22
Been There Done That

I had a friend who was awarded the CIB in 98 (I thought it was 97...but it could have been early 98) at the same COCOM at which I was a GS who told me that service during that timeframe in El Sal was pretty much a career killer...especially as an O.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 11 July 2016, 14:51

This particular incident was a needless unforced error that ended up costing way too many lives ...

Quote:
There were quite a few serious gunfights around La Union ...
Old 11 July 2016, 20:40
Been There Done That

San Miguel: Attack on El Bosque

CSM(R) Leroy Sena is one of the finest Special Forces soldiers I have had the honor to serve alongside. CSM Sena taught me what it means to be a professional SNCO, and men like him are sorely lacking in the Army today. Leroy Sena did the right thing, period. He upheld standards, and feared no man. I have seen him cause Colonels to go mute, with nothing more than a stern look.

CSM Sena distinguished himself under fire as a matter of habit during his SF service from 1970 to 2000. His actions during the attack in on San Miguel in March 1984 were consistent with his actions on combat before and after...simply another day at the office.

http://www.specialforces.com/newsletter/2008_05/SanMiguel08-24fixed.pdf
Old 11 July 2016, 21:44

I met a SGM at CEMFA one day in '87 while on a commo run w/F.L. The SGM was an amazing guy. I saw him again days or weeks later running at the military academy in San Salvador (I think it was there, but I could be wrong. Almost 30 years ago). Anyway, the impressive thing was that this SGM was running on prosthetics. Ever after, whenever I felt like getting out for physical reasons, I thought of that SGM. I wish I could remember his name ...
Old 12 July 2016, 07:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_SOF_Intel View Post
I met a SGM at CEMFA one day in '87 while on a commo run w/F.L. The SGM was an amazing guy. I saw him again days or weeks later running at the military academy in San Salvador (I think it was there, but I could be wrong. Almost 30 years ago). Anyway, the impressive thing was that this SGM was running on prosthetics. Ever after, whenever I felt like getting out for physical reasons, I thought of that SGM. I wish I could remember his name ...
Short, stocky, bald, always wore the rubber BCD glasses? Single amputee? I remember when he came up to Bragg. I remember his name was Carlos, but not sure if that was his first or last name. I think this was in like 87-88? I recall him telling the story of how he lost his prosthetic one night on a jump. All pissed off cuz he had to have help getting to the chute turn-in point and then go back out looking for the lost leg. LMAO hearing it!
Old 12 July 2016, 09:14
Authorized Personnel

Smile

SGM Carlos Parker
Old 12 July 2016, 12:55
Confirmed User

That's him! I remember watching him run in the Matta Mile area; always plugging along, would never quit. Hard like wood pecker lips.
Old 12 July 2016, 13:20
Violent Social Worker

I've had the distinct pleasure of meeting and getting to spend some time with Colonel JW who ran the show down there for a while. He's written about El Salvador a bit in an academic way. I'm not comfortable putting his name out there but you guys will probably recognize the initials.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Our new posting rules