Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 12 July 2016, 15:41
Confirmed User

Yes, I remember him as the Grp Cdr. When he gave an OPD it was interesting as hell. IIRC he gave quite the presentation on Che Guevara's capture. Almost like... he was there?
Old 12 July 2016, 15:50
Violent Social Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie62 View Post
Yes, I remember him as the Grp Cdr. When he gave an OPD it was interesting as hell. IIRC he gave quite the presentation on Che Guevara's capture. Almost like... he was there?
That's him. Awesome guy, awesome family full of patriots and all around cool people. I don't believe he was actually present for Che, just his guys although don't quote me on that. He's got what is probably the original picture of the slab photo. Fantastic American.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 12 July 2016, 22:58
Rest In Peace

Guys, if we're bringing this thread to life again, I remember Fronius from Bragg, he was within a class or two of mine and was a buddy of a guy in my class so we saw him in downtime (Phase II light weapons? Before/After Phase III Robin Sage? It was 1983-84, so I forget). Next thing I know, I'm back at 10th and I hear he got whacked.

It's always the good guys. Over the years, I've known a few SF guys who were better used as the tamping on a demo charge, and bedamned if none of 'em ever got a scratch. But then, since the org is mostly good guys maybe it's just the way the numbers shake out.

Greg Fronius was a good man, full of potential, and a loss to all who knew him and to our Regiment. He died for something, though -- putting a nail in the coffin of the most evil ideology to ever enslave men. He'd be stoked that the little brown guys remember him.
Old 13 July 2016, 00:55

Thanks! That's him. Quite amazing actually that that story sticks in my mind after all these years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
SGM Carlos Parker
Old 13 July 2016, 10:01
Been There Done That

Carlos Parker and I were on a team together in the early 70's. Great guy. Ran into him several times over later years and he never changed. Can't speak highly enough about him.

Our new posting rules