Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Closed Thread

Old 3 January 2016, 21:49

Trying to find fwo SF members from the 5th and 3rd at Fort Bragg between 1989-1992

I was a SGT(P) Steve Lee Parish assigned to 5th Group Comsec Custodian and 3rd Group COMSEC Custodian.The E-7 in the COMSEC Vault was in the process of PCSing to Korea....I did not know him very well and can not remember his nsme but he lived in Fayetteville eith family.....That was from Around December1989 till sometime in 1990 and he PCSed.....I ran the vault for about 2years and when I got orders to PCS back to Korea another E-7 came to the vault to take over before my out processing and can not remember his name either....If someone can remember these E-7's I would greatly appreciate it would like to get in contact with them....thanks for any help..........
Old 3 January 2016, 23:23
Preparing to defend

Was one of them a Brit with reddish blonde hair? I was assigned to 5th during the move to FTCKY. IIRC the NCO in the 2 shop was a squared away brit. But I'm getting old and the memory is fading, especially with names
Old 4 January 2016, 04:07

JDOGONROAD......No....If I remember correctly he had a son just never met him....The second E-7 I did not know anything about him....
Old 4 January 2016, 09:32
#AllLionsMatter

Are you talking about OB red-headed Irish guy?

Who was your Bn CO & CSM at that time?

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 4 January 2016, 10:19

Bn Cdr....Bn CSM......

I remember a Col. Kraus......I had got to the unit after the accident happen with the 2 ODA in Az. I remember my E-7 had blond redish hair but cannot remember his name....The Captain in charge was black.......The vault was in what looked like wooden WWII barracks....
Old 4 January 2016, 10:45
#AllLionsMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario7979 View Post
I remember a Col. Kraus......I had got to the unit after the accident happen with the 2 ODA in Az. I remember my E-7 had blond redish hair but cannot remember his name....The Captain in charge was black.......The vault was in what looked like wooden WWII barracks....
The E-7 was O'Brien and I can't remember the Cpt name at the moment however he wore glasses.

S-1 was ran by a black guy named Singletary....

I believe the Bn Cdr was LTC Toney or LTC Parker...

Old 4 January 2016, 11:13

Now that you said OBrien I remember it.....And Singletary......I know that when I went to Fort Benning for Airborne training the E-7 that took over the COMSEC vault I was told missed formation a few times and got an article 15....That is just what I was told when I came back from Benning....Was not able to finish Airborne school becaue I refractured my right foot again from an injury in Germany....Do you know how I can get in contact with OBrien also....
Old 4 January 2016, 11:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Cpt name at the moment however he wore glasses.
I believe that was Captain Leroy(?) Smalls. LTC Toney was the BC at that time.
Old 4 January 2016, 11:50
#AllLionsMatter

Interesting....

Quote:
Now that you said OBrien I remember it.....And Singletary......I know that when I went to Fort Benning for Airborne training the E-7 that took over the COMSEC vault I was told missed formation a few times and got an article 15....That is just what I was told when I came back from Benning....Was not able to finish Airborne school becaue I refractured my right foot again from an injury in Germany....Do you know how I can get in contact with OBrien also....
Think really hard...

OB was my boss and we ran all comms during that time-frame.

Old 4 January 2016, 11:57
#AllLionsMatter

Thumbs up That's him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 View Post
I believe that was Captain Leroy(?) Smalls. LTC Toney was the BC at that time.
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Old 4 January 2016, 13:14

What is your last name......give me a call......770-546-1002.........
Old 4 January 2016, 13:17

It has been a long time....alot of things has happen since I left Fort Bragg....Can't remember any names.......
Old 4 January 2016, 13:17
Confirmed User

This brings to mind a bit of personal drama I had involving the COMSEC vault. LTC Toney put the entire battalion on block leave in the summer of 1990. He essentially told me that I was the 'Acting Battalion Commander', pointed at his desk and chair and told me that was where I was going to sit. I think my brain was saying 'no way am I sitting in the big seat'. I occupied a desk just outside of his office instead. Apparently our signal detachment had a loaned COMSEC item stored in the vault that hadn’t been returned. I got a phone call from a Major at SOCOM telling me to get it back to them immediately as it had to go to the signal battalion unit for a deployment. I could get into the signal building, but of course I had no access to the COMSEC vault and anyone that did was far away (as far as I was concerned). I told him that I wasn't about to try to call someone back off leave to Fort Bragg over it. Our discussion devolved into what might have been some rank pulling, an attempt at a direct order, some threats to my career and I guess that I essentially told him that I didn't give an 'F'. I think there was some mention of MP involvement as well. I really thought that LTC Toney was going to get an immediate home phone call on all of that but he never gave any indication that he’d ever heard anything about it.
Old 4 January 2016, 13:23

I ETS in Feb 92....
Old 4 January 2016, 13:41

I remember one incident were I got hospitalized when I went on sick call and was in for five or six days and I asked the doctor to inform my unit and was on pain medicine four or so days later the E7 walked into the hospital room and said at first he thought I went AWOL...lololololololololololololololololol....I told him I asked the doctor to inform the company..........he was the first E7 I am looking for......
Old 4 January 2016, 16:54
#AllLionsMatter

Mario,

STOP!!!!

Old 4 January 2016, 17:25
#AllLionsMatter

Quote:
I remember one incident were I got hospitalized when I went on sick call and was in for five or six days and I asked the doctor to inform my unit and was on pain medicine four or so days later the E7 walked into the hospital room and said at first he thought I went AWOL...lololololololololololololololololol....I told him I asked the doctor to inform the company..........he was the first E7 I am looking for......
Unless you were dying....no one went to the hospital in that time-frame!

LTC Toney, CPT Smalls and SFC OB ran "ALL" of C&E in the timeframe you're talking about....

I (Guy Jones) was assigned to OB/C&E since I was prior support repairing all of SF communications gear to include BOPP and RATT rigs.

Old 5 January 2016, 00:04

Ask OBrien to give me a call....770-546-1002......I don't take kind in being insinuated I am lieing about my service , Lieing about being hospitalized ānd know one knew I was in the hospital for four days before the NCO came into the room taking like the company thought I sent AWOL....I was admitted on 7 August 1989 on a Monday and dischārged 14 August 1989 th3 next Monday...I have medical records showing my unit HHD 3/5th SFG.That is a DA Form 4700...... For someone to tell me during the time frame I am looking into no one was in the hospital unless they were dead or dying....These are official medical records....Once the person sees these records and my DD 214 showing when I ETS that last duty station and major command ......3rd SFGA USASOC. (SP).......Station where separated Ft Bragg NC. 28307......Feb 29, 1992.......To prove I was in both units I am able to email copies.....And when they are read someone will be eating crow PIE........I have no reason to lie or make myself and my career any bigger than it is.......Like I explained at first I do not remember name good....For some reason Col Kraus name stuck n my mind and that is who I thought was Bn Cdr......I spent 97% of my time there working in the COMSEC Vault....SFC OBrien was not the one that came to the hospital....This NCO worked in COMSEC with me....I thought maybe I could get the names of the two NCO working in the COMSEC vault not SFC OBrien..........If I need to email the paper work and DD 214 to prove who I am I will.....
Old 5 January 2016, 00:40
Another pool cleaner

Control your roll.
Old 5 January 2016, 00:53

Under Control....Just I know we're I was with an IV sticking in my arm with three bags going in....For someone to tell me during that time frame Ņo one was in the hospital.......got proof....now want to prove it so they can eat crow PIE....don't know who they talked to to say no one was in the hospital....just don't get it....not getting upset just going to prove them wrong....
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules