Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 25 June 2016, 13:24
Confirmed User

So I was able to access th official lineages. I'm usually a lineage geek, but I think I agree with E19- this lineage is very strange.

The 75th Ranger Regiment and its battalions have a very convoluted lineage. In a normal regiment, the current 1st Battalion comes from Company A, 2d Battalion from Company B, etc.

The 75th Ranger Regiment is a consolidation of the 75th Infantry (formerly 475th Infantry), 1st Ranger Infantry Battalion, 2d Infantry Battalion, and 3d, 4th, 5th, and 6th Ranger Infantry Battalions. http://history.army.mil/html/forcest...inf/0075ra.htm

The 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment comes from Company C, 475th Infantry, consolidated with Company A, 1st Ranger Infantry Battalion http://history.army.mil/html/forcest...075ra001bn.htm

The 2d Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment comes from Company H, 75th Infantry, consolidated with Company A, 2d Infantry Battalion http://history.army.mil/html/forcest...075ra002bn.htm

The 3d Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment comes from Company F, 475th Infantry, consolidated with Company A, 3d Ranger Infantry Battalion http://history.army.mil/html/forcest...075ra003bn.htm

Special Troops Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment comes from Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 475th Infantry, consolidated with Company B, 1st Ranger Battalion http://history.army.mil/html/forcest...ra-sptpsbn.htm
Old 25 June 2016, 13:27
Confirmed User

Vietnam LRRP a few pictures of them, some commanders called them their SF troops as they were sent on special mission, some were AB, Medic, Just what I was told they got the title SF was the tiger strips uniforms they wore It could be just B.S. as I was not one of them, an like it was stated don't let a little lie ruin a family
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LLRP1.jpg (70.6 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg b469f7ffb831e93612e7bfae45fa5f0e.jpg (47.6 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg 2-jim-ross.jpg (86.5 KB, 295 views)
Old 25 June 2016, 16:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
some commanders called them their SF troops as they were sent on special mission
I've never heard or read any commander referring to his LRRPS as "SF" or "Special Forces". I mean, I know officers are responsible for saying a lot of stupid shit but given the publicity over the Vietnam era Special Forces it seems impossible that there would be any confusion over that term.

Especially with Team Leaders attending RECONDO School conducted by SF that would be cause for an ass whupping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 25 June 2016, 16:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by E19 View Post
Sorry, but I don't recall ever being told or shown anything about the PUCs we wore, or lineage assigned to any of the SFGs being related to the Korean War Ranger Companies.
No, you made a reference to the WW2 Ranger Companies and I was reminding you that they were Battalions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 25 June 2016, 18:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Simpson View Post
I've never heard or read any commander referring to his LRRPS as "SF" or "Special Forces". I mean, I know officers are responsible for saying a lot of stupid shit but given the publicity over the Vietnam era Special Forces it seems impossible that there would be any confusion over that term.

Especially with Team Leaders attending RECONDO School conducted by SF that would be cause for an ass whupping.
I agree with you, but
You know how some of those 90 day wonders were They see someone in a different uniform an ask who are those troops, an some joker would say those are the special forces troops that do specials jobs.
Old 25 June 2016, 18:41
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Simpson View Post
No, you made a reference to the WW2 Ranger Companies and I was reminding you that they were Battalions.
Roger that. As I recall it, in '60 the lineage was assigned to each SFG was that of a particular Ranger Co, not that of the entire Batt. But hell, that was a long time ago, and I'm getting more than a bit long in the tooth!

i.e.: 7th Group was assigned the lineage/awards of A Co 1st Ranger Inf Battalion, and wore the PUCs awarded to A Co.
Old 26 June 2016, 18:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
I agree with you, but
You know how some of those 90 day wonders were They see someone in a different uniform an ask who are those troops, an some joker would say those are the special forces troops that do specials jobs.
Yeah well, not a lot of 90 day wonders aka 2d LT platoon commanders deploying "their" LRRP teams.

It was a nonsense assertion in the first place and needs to get dropped.

Old 26 June 2016, 18:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
As I recall it, in '60 the lineage was assigned to each SFG was that of a particular Ranger Co, not that of the entire Batt. But hell, that was a long time ago, and I'm getting more than a bit long in the tooth!

i.e.: 7th Group was assigned the lineage/awards of A Co 1st Ranger Inf Battalion, and wore the PUCs awarded to A Co.
Nope, you got it right. I was looking for the official Army Lineages and Honors site and finally found it. When I in-processed at Ft Devens in 1978 we had the lineage and honors from Co A, 2d Ranger Battalion.

I definitely agree with you that it's all nonsense anyway since we evolved directly from the OSS OG's.

Old 9 July 2016, 15:15

All,

Sorry it's been a while since I posed my original questions.

In the meantime, I actually sat down with my wife and her parents a few weeks ago when we visited.

Long story short...unintentional lack of military understanding on the part of my wife and her mother. Not malicious, mind you...simply lack of military education on their part.

My son and I had great discussion with my father-in-law. He is a veteran of 2/27 Wolfhounds and served with what I now know to be the CRIP (Combined Reconnaisance Intelligence Platoon). He attended the RECONDO School run by 5th SFG...which my mother-in-law turned into "He was in Special Forces". Unintentionally misleading, but not malicious.

He keeps in touch with some of the Wolfhounds he served with, but was unable to attend their Branson Reunion a few years ago. He had some photos and notes regarding their AO while they operated in the Cu Chi area, names of OPs, FOBs, etc. My son was eating it up.

In the end, I thank all who helped me understand the various distinctions among SF operations and organizations during that terrible war.

Semper Fidelis,
Grilled Cheese
Old 9 July 2016, 16:21
Confirmed User

Couple thoughts after looking through this thread.
Glad it is more or less resolved with no real damage.
This subject has come up a time or two in the past on other SF boards.
Involves death of someone with fuzzy or maybe incorrect credentials for any number of reasons.
Usual consencus was to leave the family out of it and let it alone.
Guy was gone and no reason to inflict any pain on anybody.

De Opresso Liber
Old 9 July 2016, 17:18
Rest In Peace

Quote:
SF was assigned the lineage of 1st SSF, a light infantry unit, which had been disbanded 1945
Just to be a pedant about it, 1st SSF was disbanded in December, 1944 at Menton, France on the Riviera. I believe the date was 5 December. If you've got to be in France in December, Menton is the place to be.
Old 9 July 2016, 19:02
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrilledCheese View Post
All,

Sorry it's been a while since I posed my original questions.

In the meantime, I actually sat down with my wife and her parents a few weeks ago when we visited.

Long story short...unintentional lack of military understanding on the part of my wife and her mother. Not malicious, mind you...simply lack of military education on their part.

My son and I had great discussion with my father-in-law. He is a veteran of 2/27 Wolfhounds and served with what I now know to be the CRIP (Combined Reconnaisance Intelligence Platoon). He attended the RECONDO School run by 5th SFG...which my mother-in-law turned into "He was in Special Forces". Unintentionally misleading, but not malicious.

He keeps in touch with some of the Wolfhounds he served with, but was unable to attend their Branson Reunion a few years ago. He had some photos and notes regarding their AO while they operated in the Cu Chi area, names of OPs, FOBs, etc. My son was eating it up.

In the end, I thank all who helped me understand the various distinctions among SF operations and organizations during that terrible war.

Semper Fidelis,
Grilled Cheese
Now that is bad ass, in itself. The stuff of legends us newbs entering into service in the 80s, going into the Ranger Bats, looked at in awe. He and all of your family can be very proud of his service, and the tremendous risks he took.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 9 July 2016, 21:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
I agree with you, but
Tell me more about 90 day wonders in Vietnam.

― Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Old 10 July 2016, 12:05
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hognose View Post
Just to be a pedant about it, 1st SSF was disbanded in December, 1944 at Menton, France on the Riviera. I believe the date was 5 December. If you've got to be in France in December, Menton is the place to be.

I believe, it was inactivated (removed from active status) on Dec 5th, 1944, and subsequently disbanded (removed from US Army rolls) on January 6th, 1945.

Our new posting rules