Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 27 May 2016, 10:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
When National Guard units are not under federal control, the governor is the commander-in-chief of the units of his or her respective state or territory.

Therefore, the states can do as they want...
And that would include "reenlistment" bonuses for O's? Aren't NG Officers vol-indef, until they resign their commission, like AD Officers? A sincere question because I have no idea
Old 27 May 2016, 10:23
#AllLionsMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
And that would include "reenlistment" bonuses for O's? Aren't NG Officers vol-indef, until they resign their commission, like AD Officers? A sincere question because I have no idea
I couldn't tell you the difference about O's (AD-vs-NG) however, the state has the say so whom, receive bonuses and what not. The state controls the funding not federal.

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 27 May 2016, 12:07
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
A few clarifications about O's and bonuses in general:

1. O's (AC and RC) are eligible for Critical Skills Retention Bonus after their initial commitment of 8 yrs (because they can choose to resign after that).
In most cases (like all the ones getting recouped) they need to be under 12 total yrs commissioned that year, in an AOC on the critical shortage list that year, and assigned to a deployable MTOE in that AOC that year.

(In other cases like surgeons, they go throughout the career).

2. Incentives and bonuses are all Army money (just like any other money that goes to Army Guard and Army Reserve).
Guard bonus reg and policy is managed at NGB level, based on shortages in each state each year.
(Bonus money comes from the NDA, because every duty position is funded for pay, whether filled or not. Bonus money comes from the pay already funded for vacant duty positions to use as a bonus to fill them).
Old 27 May 2016, 12:21
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag4tj View Post
A few clarifications about O's and bonuses in general:

1. O's (AC and RC) are eligible for Critical Skills Retention Bonus after their initial commitment of 8 yrs (because they can choose to resign after that).
In most cases (like all the ones getting recouped) they need to be under 12 total yrs commissioned that year, in an AOC on the critical shortage list that year, and assigned to a deployable MTOE in that AOC that year.

(In other cases like surgeons, they go throughout the career).

2. Incentives and bonuses are all Army money (just like any other money that goes to Army Guard and Army Reserve).
Guard bonus reg and policy is managed at NGB level, based on shortages in each state each year.
(Bonus money comes from the NDA, because every duty position is funded for pay, whether filled or not. Bonus money comes from the pay already funded for vacant duty positions to use as a bonus to fill them).
Interesting info. I learned something today. Thanks
Old 27 May 2016, 12:22
#AllLionsMatter

ag4tj,

I knew, you would know.

Are SF guys back recruiting for the NGSF units?

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 27 May 2016, 12:25
In Vino Veritas

Question

Quote:
ag4tj,

I knew, you would know.

Are you talking about one person in particular?
Old 27 May 2016, 12:51
BTDT

Quote:
ag4tj,

I knew, you would know.

Not here. We haven't had that since the last year of GWOT ADOS money for a Retention NCO for every UIC.

Our new posting rules