Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27 June 2005, 23:32
SOTB's Avatar
SOTB SOTB is offline
Minus one, but more symmetrical....
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Clorox'ing the gene pool....
Posts: 33,024
Walmart heir dies....

Is the article correct? Was this dude a former SF medic? Or at least a support medic for SF?

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/06/27/obit.walton/
__________________
Losing faith in humanity, one assclown at a time....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27 June 2005, 23:50
C-M-R C-M-R is offline
Scotty's Mommy
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Loup City NE
Posts: 1,146
SOTB - I think it's true. I've read about the guy before but can't think where. I'll try to find a source.
C

http://www.nndb.com/people/279/000094994/
__________________
Of course I'm hot....in flashes.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28 June 2005, 00:57
Guile Guile is offline
Probationary User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas when not OCONUS
Posts: 4
He is mentioned on pages 192 and 193 of John Plaster's "SOG" book as the medic of RT Idaho in August 1968. RIP.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28 June 2005, 01:13
DCH's Avatar
DCH DCH is offline
Callsign: Turkey Bacon
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SoCAL
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile
He is mentioned on pages 192 and 193 of John Plaster's "SOG" book as the medic of RT Idaho in August 1968. RIP.

Godspeed
__________________
No matter.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28 June 2005, 08:33
E19 E19 is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 536
John Walton was awarded the Silver Star while serving in SOG. He was a 91B4S (18D)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28 June 2005, 09:40
Doogie320 Doogie320 is offline
Going back
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Afghanistan
Posts: 3,530
Blue Skies
__________________
- I personally have never killed anyone, but I have read some obituaries with pleasure.

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28 June 2005, 19:54
TPD1280's Avatar
TPD1280 TPD1280 is offline
SOCNET Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Little House on the Pasture
Posts: 5,037
RIP
__________________
Government is an unregulated industry.

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 29 June 2005, 11:19
RAT RAT is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Back in the GREAT STATE OF TEX
Posts: 7,411
I heard the dude was a STUD.

RIP.


RAT OUT!!!
__________________
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 29 June 2005, 12:49
tryxter tryxter is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 209
John Walton was an SF medic and member of MACV-SOG

From John Stryker Meyer book, Across the Fence: The Secret War in Vietnam, account of a mission involving ST Louisiana in the A Shau Valley.

"Four of the NVAs rounds struck the tail gunner, wounding him severely. As Walton swung his CAR-15 [a sub-machine gun version of the M-16] toward the enemy soldier ... [his] rounds hit the NVA soldier and drove him back in the jungle."

The account goes on to say that Walton's commanding officer, Wilbur "Pete" Boggs, called in a napalm strike that landed yards away from John. Soon the six-man team was surrounded. One was dead and three were wounded. John tended to casualties, including Boggs, who was knocked semiconscious by shrapnel, and Tom Cunningham, who was badly hurt. "The knee got blown out and started hemorrhaging very, very severely. John Walton applied a tourniquet to my leg to stop the severe hemorrhaging," recalls Cunningham today. John called in two choppers for extraction. As the first Kingbee dropped in and lifted off with some of the men, the NVA intensified its assault. A second chopper was needed to get all the men out, but the landing zone was too hot to make it in. Walton and his team thought they were doomed, but suddenly the first chopper came back down, even though their added weight might make it too heavy to take off again. With the enemy advancing into the clearing, firing at the helicopter, and Walton trying to keep Cunningham alive, the Kingbee took off and barely made it over the treetops."

John Watson was the medic and 1-1 on this mission.

There is an SOF article mentioning Walton, also by Meyer.
SOF article

Last edited by tryxter; 29 June 2005 at 15:58.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 29 June 2005, 15:49
Tuukka's Avatar
Tuukka Tuukka is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryxter
Johm Walton was an SF medic and member of MACV-SOG

From John Stryker Meyer book, Across the Fence: The Secret War in Vietnam, account of a mission involving ST Louisiana in the A Shau Valley.

"Four of the NVAs rounds struck the tail gunner, wounding him severely. As Walton swung his CAR-15 [a sub-machine gun version of the M-16] toward the enemy soldier ... [his] rounds hit the NVA soldier and drove him back in the jungle."

The account goes on to say that Walton's commanding officer, Wilbur "Pete" Boggs, called in a napalm strike that landed yards away from John. Soon the six-man team was surrounded. One was dead and three were wounded. John tended to casualties, including Boggs, who was knocked semiconscious by shrapnel, and Tom Cunningham, who was badly hurt. "The knee got blown out and started hemorrhaging very, very severely. John Walton applied a tourniquet to my leg to stop the severe hemorrhaging," recalls Cunningham today. John called in two choppers for extraction. As the first Kingbee dropped in and lifted off with some of the men, the NVA intensified its assault. A second chopper was needed to get all the men out, but the landing zone was too hot to make it in. Walton and his team thought they were doomed, but suddenly the first chopper came back down, even though their added weight might make it too heavy to take off again. With the enemy advancing into the clearing, firing at the helicopter, and Walton trying to keep Cunningham alive, the Kingbee took off and barely made it over the treetops."

John Watson was the medic and 1-1 on this mission.

There is an SOF article mentioning Walton, also by Meyer.
SOF article

Relating to the above

Quote:
Late last fall a private jet landed at a small airport in Fargo, N.D., to pick up retired South Vietnamese Colonel Thinh Dinh. The jet was John Walton's. He flew Thinh to a SOG reunion in Las Vegas. It was the least John could doŚ 36 years ago it was Thinh in his Kingbee who came back to pick up Walton and just barely made it over the trees on that bloody morning in the A Shau Valley
__________________
RECON - Always a step ahead
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 29 June 2005, 19:39
Spinner's Avatar
Spinner Spinner is offline
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,987
Quote:
Relating to the above


Quote:
Late last fall a private jet landed at a small airport in Fargo, N.D., to pick up retired South Vietnamese Colonel Thinh Dinh. The jet was John Walton's. He flew Thinh to a SOG reunion in Las Vegas. It was the least John could doŚ 36 years ago it was Thinh in his Kingbee who came back to pick up Walton and just barely made it over the trees on that bloody morning in the A Shau Valley.
Interesting twist.
__________________
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who!"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10 July 2016, 11:17
leopardprey's Avatar
leopardprey leopardprey is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,197
Old post, but came across this photo of John Walton yesterday. Needless to say, at a time when many other rich or privileged young men with connection found a way out (hmmmm...Donald Trump, Bill Clinton, Dick Cheney) John Walton did the opposite. Volunteered for US Army, Airborne, SF and SOG.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2317899.jpg (25.9 KB, 311 views)
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10 July 2016, 21:09
8654maine 8654maine is offline
Another pool cleaner
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,925
Cool. RIP.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11 July 2016, 00:03
Hot Mess's Avatar
Hot Mess Hot Mess is offline
In Vino Veritas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Where you vacation
Posts: 10,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Old post, but came across this photo of John Walton yesterday. Needless to say, at a time when many other rich or privileged young men with connection found a way out (hmmmm...Donald Trump, Bill Clinton, Dick Cheney) John Walton did the opposite. Volunteered for US Army, Airborne, SF and SOG.
Agreed. RIP.
__________________
Come on boys, you got to do it right, pray to the moon in the middle of the night
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11 July 2016, 23:18
jmeter jmeter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 20
Great thread, glad I learned this about him. RIP, great American.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:01.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET