Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 12 September 2015, 21:36
Been There Done That

Apparently he lives in Raleigh. Maybe I should have a beer or six with him.
22 Aug 17
Old 13 September 2015, 07:47
Been There Done That

Probably be a good idea. I personally don't have anything against him.

Like I said, he did some good tng to a tm that needed it...
Old 13 September 2015, 07:53
Gunny = god

Like I said, he seemed very melancholy about not being "with the troops" anymore.

We never spoke about his Marxist leaning nonsense. The discussion was purely focused on Urgent Fury, but you could tell, not being a soldier had taken a toll on him. Hell, he had been one all of his adult life. And it was gone and he knew it. Not only did he burn the bridge but he pissed on the smoking ashes.

As for the Urgent Fury discussion...great insights, excellent eye for detail and very descriptive in his recollections. In fact, until I spoke with a couple of other D-Boys, his account was the foundation for the chapter on the Richmond Hill Prison mission.
Old 13 September 2015, 10:07
Violent Social Worker

Mooch, can I get a link to your book? Thanks.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 13 September 2015, 12:16
Gunny = god

It's not published yet. Still have some stuff stuck in FOIA hell...
Old 13 September 2015, 16:53
Violent Social Worker

Ah, gotcha. Thanks.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 14 September 2015, 09:57
Rest In Peace

Mooch, I'll also be interested when the book hits. PM here is fine, or PM me to get private email. I was in Phase 2 Light Weapons at Bragg with a lot of very frustrated recently ex-Regiment dudes when it all went down. A couple of us knew it was coming (actually several of us observed indicators, one intel analyst going through the Q put it all together about two days out, and we sat on it).
Old 14 September 2015, 19:47
Gunny = god

Will do.

I'm sure the release news will make the rounds quickly when I finally do get it published.
Old 17 September 2015, 18:26
Authorized Personnel

Not to bust on ya old man... but how long have you been researching that book? In all seriousness; what you have had to of accumulated is going to require more than one volume!
Old 23 September 2015, 18:10
Gunny = god

13 years, but those years have been interrupted by multiple deployments. Pesky things...wars that is. They seem to get in the way of folks doing normal stuff...especially when some of the guys you were/are trying to interview are also deployed...

It very well may require more than one volume...but you can now thank our government's desire to not release anything...let alone 30+ y/o AAR's...which is the primary hold up...but I appreciate you keeping tabs on my work. ;-)
Old 25 November 2015, 10:57
Gunny = god

For those wanting more information on my book and have Facebook accounts, I have set up a page. I post vignettes and pictures on it fairly often. It'll remain in place as I work through the editing and publishing maze.
You can locate it by searching, "Bearing the Burden."
Old 25 November 2015, 15:28
No one special

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgtMooch View Post
For those wanting more information on my book and have Facebook accounts, I have set up a page. I post vignettes and pictures on it fairly often. It'll remain in place as I work through the editing and publishing maze.
You can locate it by searching, "Bearing the Burden."
I searched FB by that string and did not find the page.
Old 27 November 2015, 16:47
Confirmed User

google operation urgent fury bearing the burden

Our new posting rules