SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > FAC's, JTAC's and Fire Support

Old 28 June 2018, 17:55

USMC reserve ANGLICO

I'm currently working overseas in Kuwait, but looking into joining the USMC reserves upon my return. I'm a prior service USMC E5 communicator, and interested in possibly lateral moving into 0861. (0211, and 032x are also options)

Anyone have a POC at 4th ANGLICO out of West Palm Beach, FL?

Or any possible insight into reserve ANGLICO units, or attending the 0861 schoolhouse as an E5?

Much appreciated.
Old 28 June 2018, 19:36
In From The East

Sorry cant help you on that side of the house....I did work with some Anglico’s in Ramadi, pretty squared away dudes. Best of luck!
Old 28 June 2018, 19:40
Authorized Personnel

Per the forum rules, please post an introduction here: http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=73033&page=627
Old 1 July 2018, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
Per the forum rules, please post an introduction here: http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=73033&page=627
posted.
Old 1 July 2018, 21:54
Authorized Personnel

What was your active duty MOS? About a third of the enlisted Marines in the ANGLICO units are 0621s.
Old 1 July 2018, 21:56
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyworks View Post
posted.
Excellent.

Have you talked to a prior service recruiter yet? They will likely be your best source of info.

I spent 5 years on I&I duty, 2000-2005, you could join the SMCR units back then as an MOS mis-match, as long as you "promised" to go to the MOS school within the first two years.

Getting the seats to the schools was not difficult as there are a certain number allocated each year for prior service folks changing MOS's (This was still the case when I retired in 2013 as I handled the school seats for my MOS), the difficult part was getting the Prior Service Marines to go to the schools once they had their life established, ie: with a 9-5 job that didn't necessarily want to give them the time off to go to the school.

Highly recommend talking with the Prior Service Recruiter that recruits for ANGLICO, call the regular recruiter in the town where the unit you want to drill with is, they likely have the PSR's number.
Old 1 July 2018, 22:54
Been There Done That

Here's a link for 3rd & 4th ANGLICO. Contact the unit SgtMaj, explain your situation and he should be able to get you squared away. I'm sure they do this quite a bit. Good luck.

https://www.marforres.marines.mil/Ma...p/3rd-ANGLICO/

https://www.marforres.marines.mil/Ma...p/4th-ANGLICO/
Old 3 July 2018, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
What was your active duty MOS? About a third of the enlisted Marines in the ANGLICO units are 0621s.
0651, but I deployed twice as an individual billet where I was the psuedo comm chief, supporting all aspects of comm, and doing quite a bit of non-comm related things.
Old 3 July 2018, 14:03

Quote:
0651, but I deployed twice as an individual billet where I was the psuedo comm chief, supporting all aspects of comm, and doing quite a bit of non-comm related things.
Old 3 July 2018, 14:08

Quote:
Excellent.

Have you talked to a prior service recruiter yet? They will likely be your best source of info.

I spent 5 years on I&I duty, 2000-2005, you could join the SMCR units back then as an MOS mis-match, as long as you "promised" to go to the MOS school within the first two years.

Getting the seats to the schools was not difficult as there are a certain number allocated each year for prior service folks changing MOS's (This was still the case when I retired in 2013 as I handled the school seats for my MOS), the difficult part was getting the Prior Service Marines to go to the schools once they had their life established, ie: with a 9-5 job that didn't necessarily want to give them the time off to go to the school.

Highly recommend talking with the Prior Service Recruiter that recruits for ANGLICO, call the regular recruiter in the town where the unit you want to drill with is, they likely have the PSR's number.
I have been in contact with with a PSR for over a year now. Since before I took this contracting gig. He has been extremely slow in getting my tattoo waiver package completed, and does not reply very often. I'm about to reach out to another PSR.

Another member of this forum got me in touch with a SSgt at 4th ANGLICO.
Old 3 July 2018, 18:04
Authorized Personnel

Do you still have IRR time?
Old 3 July 2018, 18:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Good deal; I imagine they'd love having an 0651 with all the data stuff ANGLICO is doing these days.
Quote:
Another member of this forum got me in touch with a SSgt at 4th ANGLICO.
You'll enjoy the work.
Old 4 July 2018, 12:18

Quote:
Do you still have IRR time?
Yea, but I'm cutting it close. That brings up a good point.

I'm assuming it's harder to get back in once you're out of the IRR?
Old 4 July 2018, 12:19

Quote:
Good deal; I imagine they'd love having an 0651 with all the data stuff ANGLICO is doing these days.
I sense sarcasm here aha
Old 4 July 2018, 13:26
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I sense sarcasm here aha
Not at all. When I left in 2009, ANGLICO was pushing a lot of data across radio nets. We only had one 0651 and he was very busy.
Old 4 July 2018, 18:44
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Yea, but I'm cutting it close. That brings up a good point.

I'm assuming it's harder to get back in once you're out of the IRR?

If you fall off contract it is much harder.

We had guys who were IRR show up out of the blue to drill and switch to SMCR. There were no waiver's required.
Old 4 July 2018, 19:30

Quote:
Not at all. When I left in 2009, ANGLICO was pushing a lot of data across radio nets. We only had one 0651 and he was very busy.
Oh! Ok yeah, I can see them using all kinds of IP over radio protocols, satcom stuff, integration of gear into data networks, etc.

I was thinking more in the sense of traditional data marine duties, like running the help-desk ahaha.
Old 4 July 2018, 19:32

Quote:
If you fall off contract it is much harder.

We had guys who were IRR show up out of the blue to drill and switch to SMCR. There were no waiver's required.
That's what I figured. I need to see exactly how much time I have left, or if I can extend my IRR status.

I believe I may have 8-9 months left upon returning from this gig.
Old 1 August 2018, 14:05

My advice would be to lat move into the 0861 field.
There's more oportunities in both 3rd and 4th ANGLICO as an enlisted 61 than there are as an 06.
Unit's use to be able to send enlisted 0621's through TACP school but this has since been curtailed. The enlisted TACP seats for all the ANGLICO's are exclusively filled by 61's now.
There's also 6th ANGLICO to think about. New unit. Still in need of NCO/SNCO's willing to stick around for awhile.
PM me if you need more info. Ive got some contacts at all three of them.
Old 3 August 2018, 01:01

Yeah, thats what I figured. I was actually pretty set on lat-moving anyways. Wasn't the biggest fan of my MOS.

PM sent.

Our new posting rules