Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2 March 2018, 11:21
Ruffneck_Bohica Ruffneck_Bohica is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 45
Question about the Regiment

I just ran into a guy at work that had a scroll on his jacket. I assumed that it was a Ranger Scroll, same design and colors. When i approached him and asked what unit he served with he said he was with the Ranger Regiment. I asked him what battalion and his response was Long Range Recon, which is what was on the scroll. Now I am no expert on the Regiment but I do not know of a "LRR" Unit of its on in the regiment. Other things he said about his deployments were spot on. Also said he was stationed at Ft. Lewis which didn't make sense. So I am going to assume that he is a fake just from my gut and experience but wanted to confirm. Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2 March 2018, 11:26
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is online now
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 6,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffneck_Bohica View Post
I just ran into a guy at work that had a scroll on his jacket. I assumed that it was a Ranger Scroll, same design and colors. When i approached him and asked what unit he served with he said he was with the Ranger Regiment. I asked him what battalion and his response was Long Range Recon, which is what was on the scroll. Now I am no expert on the Regiment but I do not know of a "LRR" Unit of its on in the regiment. Other things he said about his deployments were spot on. Also said he was stationed at Ft. Lewis which didn't make sense. So I am going to assume that he is a fake just from my gut and experience but wanted to confirm. Thanks for your time.
LRS units share lineage with Ranger Regiment (from the Vietnam Ranger Companies). LRS units often have "unofficial" scrolls on unit gear. Many LRS guys also served in 75th at another point in their careers. I was in the LRS company at Ft Lewis, as well as 2/75, at different times.

His responses, as you wrote them, seem a bit off.
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2 March 2018, 11:28
Ruffneck_Bohica Ruffneck_Bohica is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
LRS units share lineage with Ranger Regiment (from the Vietnam Ranger Companies). LRS units often have "unofficial" scrolls on unit gear. Many LRS guys also served in 75th at another point in their careers. I was in the LRS company at Ft Lewis, as well as 2/75, at different times.
Ok, I didn't know about the "unofficial" scroll. I just found it odd that when i asked him what battalion he was in with the 75th he could tell me. I do know that he is a veteran, but thought he might be exaggerating his service. Thanks for the info. Also I didn't call him out or anything wanted to fact check first. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2 March 2018, 11:31
Ruffneck_Bohica Ruffneck_Bohica is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffneck_Bohica View Post
I just found it odd that when i asked him what battalion he was in with the 75th he could tell me.
Correction (he couldn't tell me.)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2 March 2018, 11:46
RangerJurena RangerJurena is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Back In Texas
Posts: 579
"his deployments" - what time frame for these deployments?

Because the LRP's and LRRP's who are in the lineage of the 75th have not been down range in quite some time.

And those that served in the 75th as well as a LRS unit later would always reference the Bn. we served in, not the unit that may have lineage to the LRP / LRRP unit.

If I ever told you I served in the Regiment and you asked me which BN, that answer would be 1st. and I'd not be wearing a patch of any other. Even though I had the dubious honor of being a member of Fun 51 out of Ft. Bragg ( I could write a book on those 2 years alone) which draws lineage from Co. F LRP 51st Infantry.

If all that makes any sense. I'd say he's at least confused.
__________________
2 Charlie <1>
A long time ago
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2 March 2018, 11:52
Ruffneck_Bohica Ruffneck_Bohica is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 45
Ok that is what i was thinking. He is a mid 20s to 30s aged guy. I know that he did serve and collects a VA disability check but I think he is inflating his service. Like being in the Navy as a mechanic but saying you were a Seal. Is there a way to check records if i have a name?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2 March 2018, 12:17
B 2/75's Avatar
B 2/75 B 2/75 is offline
Old Scroll
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Black Mountains
Posts: 10,601
I don't believe that anybody that young could possibly have been in Regimental Recon without having first been in one of the Battalions. I just can't get my head around any scenario where somebody goes through RASP and straight into RRD.

That said, your guy is probably FOS.

Anybody have any possibilities that I've missed?
__________________

.
"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2 March 2018, 12:56
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is online now
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 6,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Anybody have any possibilities that I've missed?
Only the ones in my post above . Per the OP, the guy did not say he was in RRD.

As I put before, the exchange as reported makes sense, except for the response to the OP's query on "what battalion." The LRS scroll and past 75th service are not mutually exclusive.

Ranger Jurena, your post reflects your thoughts on your time in LRS. That is your preference. I personally do not wear military items from any unit I have been in...no scrolls, arrows, daggers, skulls, wings, none of that shit. But that is just me. Some folks who served in both Regiment and LRS do differently. I know guys that served with distinction in SMUs that wear LRS scroll shirts. To each his own.

Let's not create posers out of speculation.
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2 March 2018, 16:02
jhes160 jhes160 is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Alabama
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
I just can't get my head around any scenario where somebody goes through RASP and straight into RRD.
That's exactly what could happen now. RRD (Now RRC) started recruiting from Big Army about 10-12 years ago, only pre req is having a Tab.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2 March 2018, 17:41
RangerJurena RangerJurena is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Back In Texas
Posts: 579
@gavin I'm pretty sure the word poser is no where in my post.

With out all the facts or being there it's only speculation.
__________________
2 Charlie <1>
A long time ago
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2 March 2018, 19:03
cnacx2 cnacx2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhes160 View Post
That's exactly what could happen now. RRD (Now RRC) started recruiting from Big Army about 10-12 years ago, only pre req is having a Tab.
Yeah Tab and RSLC now if I'm not mistaken.. But I still think he probably would have said something about being in RSTB? Instead of "Long Range Recon."

I know a couple dudes from batt that didn't make it through RRC selection, given the higher standards w/in regiment I would assume that even less from the big army make it in.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2 March 2018, 21:11
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: W. Slope of Big Sewell Mtn.
Posts: 3,520
Does sound fishy with regard to his age. Regt has added another unit at Benning since my time. I think type of a CS Company.

Is RRD or whatever its called now assigned to it?

My Senior Drill in Basic rotated right shoulder patches of the 1st Cav and another with scroll that said Airborne Ranger Infantry Company, with no company specified. The "unofficial one".
__________________
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 6 March 2018, 12:59
cnacx2 cnacx2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Does sound fishy with regard to his age. Regt has added another unit at Benning since my time. I think type of a CS Company.

Is RRD or whatever its called now assigned to it?

My Senior Drill in Basic rotated right shoulder patches of the 1st Cav and another with scroll that said Airborne Ranger Infantry Company, with no company specified. The "unofficial one".
Yeah, RSTB, of which RRC (formerly RRD) falls under
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 7 March 2018, 00:07
abnrgr275 abnrgr275 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Avon, Indiana
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffneck_Bohica View Post
Ok that is what i was thinking. He is a mid 20s to 30s aged guy. I know that he did serve and collects a VA disability check but I think he is inflating his service. Like being in the Navy as a mechanic but saying you were a Seal. Is there a way to check records if i have a name?
This guy being in his 20s-30s and claiming to be former "Long Range Recon" in the Ranger Regiment sounds fishy to me. Not to mention he wasn't able to identify which Ranger BN he served with when you asked him outright. It sounds to me like the guy's lying about his prior service just based on the answers he gave you when you questioned him.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 7 March 2018, 07:02
RGR.Montcalm's Avatar
RGR.Montcalm RGR.Montcalm is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clearing fields of fire
Posts: 10,766
[QUOTE=B 2/75;1058709731] I just can't get my head around any scenario where somebody goes through RASP and straight into RRD.QUOTE]

Michael Sonnenschein comes to mind- straight from RIP to RRD, then HALO School, THEN Pre Ranger and Ranger School- oh yeah, later a Best Ranger Competiton Winner and served as my Weapons Squad Leader in the 101st...
__________________
Shallow men believe in luck; strong men believe in cause and effect
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 7 March 2018, 10:27
Sharky's Avatar
Sharky Sharky is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: SOCNET
Posts: 19,068
[QUOTE=RGR.Montcalm;1058710549]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
I just can't get my head around any scenario where somebody goes through RASP and straight into RRD.QUOTE]

Michael Sonnenschein comes to mind- straight from RIP to RRD, then HALO School, THEN Pre Ranger and Ranger School- oh yeah, later a Best Ranger Competiton Winner and served as my Weapons Squad Leader in the 101st...

Mike was an E-5 in A Co when I got there.
__________________
I was born my papa's son
When I hit the ground I was on the run
I had one glad hand and the other behind
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 7 March 2018, 20:50
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: W. Slope of Big Sewell Mtn.
Posts: 3,520
[QUOTE=Sharky;1058710583]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post


Mike was an E-5 in A Co when I got there.
Hey I remember Sonnenschiem.
__________________
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET