Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 2 March 2018, 11:21

Question about the Regiment

I just ran into a guy at work that had a scroll on his jacket. I assumed that it was a Ranger Scroll, same design and colors. When i approached him and asked what unit he served with he said he was with the Ranger Regiment. I asked him what battalion and his response was Long Range Recon, which is what was on the scroll. Now I am no expert on the Regiment but I do not know of a "LRR" Unit of its on in the regiment. Other things he said about his deployments were spot on. Also said he was stationed at Ft. Lewis which didn't make sense. So I am going to assume that he is a fake just from my gut and experience but wanted to confirm. Thanks for your time.
Old 2 March 2018, 11:26
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffneck_Bohica View Post
I just ran into a guy at work that had a scroll on his jacket. I assumed that it was a Ranger Scroll, same design and colors. When i approached him and asked what unit he served with he said he was with the Ranger Regiment. I asked him what battalion and his response was Long Range Recon, which is what was on the scroll. Now I am no expert on the Regiment but I do not know of a "LRR" Unit of its on in the regiment. Other things he said about his deployments were spot on. Also said he was stationed at Ft. Lewis which didn't make sense. So I am going to assume that he is a fake just from my gut and experience but wanted to confirm. Thanks for your time.
LRS units share lineage with Ranger Regiment (from the Vietnam Ranger Companies). LRS units often have "unofficial" scrolls on unit gear. Many LRS guys also served in 75th at another point in their careers. I was in the LRS company at Ft Lewis, as well as 2/75, at different times.

His responses, as you wrote them, seem a bit off.
Old 2 March 2018, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
LRS units share lineage with Ranger Regiment (from the Vietnam Ranger Companies). LRS units often have "unofficial" scrolls on unit gear. Many LRS guys also served in 75th at another point in their careers. I was in the LRS company at Ft Lewis, as well as 2/75, at different times.
Ok, I didn't know about the "unofficial" scroll. I just found it odd that when i asked him what battalion he was in with the 75th he could tell me. I do know that he is a veteran, but thought he might be exaggerating his service. Thanks for the info. Also I didn't call him out or anything wanted to fact check first. Thanks again.
Old 2 March 2018, 11:31

Quote:
I just found it odd that when i asked him what battalion he was in with the 75th he could tell me.
Correction (he couldn't tell me.)
Old 2 March 2018, 11:46
Been There Done That

"his deployments" - what time frame for these deployments?

Because the LRP's and LRRP's who are in the lineage of the 75th have not been down range in quite some time.

And those that served in the 75th as well as a LRS unit later would always reference the Bn. we served in, not the unit that may have lineage to the LRP / LRRP unit.

If I ever told you I served in the Regiment and you asked me which BN, that answer would be 1st. and I'd not be wearing a patch of any other. Even though I had the dubious honor of being a member of Fun 51 out of Ft. Bragg ( I could write a book on those 2 years alone) which draws lineage from Co. F LRP 51st Infantry.

If all that makes any sense. I'd say he's at least confused.
Old 2 March 2018, 11:52

Ok that is what i was thinking. He is a mid 20s to 30s aged guy. I know that he did serve and collects a VA disability check but I think he is inflating his service. Like being in the Navy as a mechanic but saying you were a Seal. Is there a way to check records if i have a name?
Old 2 March 2018, 12:17
Old Scroll

I don't believe that anybody that young could possibly have been in Regimental Recon without having first been in one of the Battalions. I just can't get my head around any scenario where somebody goes through RASP and straight into RRD.

That said, your guy is probably FOS.

Anybody have any possibilities that I've missed?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 2 March 2018, 12:56
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Anybody have any possibilities that I've missed?
Only the ones in my post above . Per the OP, the guy did not say he was in RRD.

As I put before, the exchange as reported makes sense, except for the response to the OP's query on "what battalion." The LRS scroll and past 75th service are not mutually exclusive.

Ranger Jurena, your post reflects your thoughts on your time in LRS. That is your preference. I personally do not wear military items from any unit I have been in...no scrolls, arrows, daggers, skulls, wings, none of that shit. But that is just me. Some folks who served in both Regiment and LRS do differently. I know guys that served with distinction in SMUs that wear LRS scroll shirts. To each his own.

Let's not create posers out of speculation.
Old 2 March 2018, 16:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
I just can't get my head around any scenario where somebody goes through RASP and straight into RRD.
That's exactly what could happen now. RRD (Now RRC) started recruiting from Big Army about 10-12 years ago, only pre req is having a Tab.
Old 2 March 2018, 17:41
Been There Done That

@gavin I'm pretty sure the word poser is no where in my post.

With out all the facts or being there it's only speculation.
Old 2 March 2018, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhes160 View Post
That's exactly what could happen now. RRD (Now RRC) started recruiting from Big Army about 10-12 years ago, only pre req is having a Tab.
Yeah Tab and RSLC now if I'm not mistaken.. But I still think he probably would have said something about being in RSTB? Instead of "Long Range Recon."

I know a couple dudes from batt that didn't make it through RRC selection, given the higher standards w/in regiment I would assume that even less from the big army make it in.
Old 2 March 2018, 21:11
Been There Done That

Does sound fishy with regard to his age. Regt has added another unit at Benning since my time. I think type of a CS Company.

Is RRD or whatever its called now assigned to it?

My Senior Drill in Basic rotated right shoulder patches of the 1st Cav and another with scroll that said Airborne Ranger Infantry Company, with no company specified. The "unofficial one".

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 6 March 2018, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Does sound fishy with regard to his age. Regt has added another unit at Benning since my time. I think type of a CS Company.

Is RRD or whatever its called now assigned to it?

My Senior Drill in Basic rotated right shoulder patches of the 1st Cav and another with scroll that said Airborne Ranger Infantry Company, with no company specified. The "unofficial one".
Yeah, RSTB, of which RRC (formerly RRD) falls under
Old 7 March 2018, 00:07

Quote:
Ok that is what i was thinking. He is a mid 20s to 30s aged guy. I know that he did serve and collects a VA disability check but I think he is inflating his service. Like being in the Navy as a mechanic but saying you were a Seal. Is there a way to check records if i have a name?
This guy being in his 20s-30s and claiming to be former "Long Range Recon" in the Ranger Regiment sounds fishy to me. Not to mention he wasn't able to identify which Ranger BN he served with when you asked him outright. It sounds to me like the guy's lying about his prior service just based on the answers he gave you when you questioned him.
Old 7 March 2018, 07:02
Been There Done That

[QUOTE=B 2/75;1058709731] I just can't get my head around any scenario where somebody goes through RASP and straight into RRD.QUOTE]

Michael Sonnenschein comes to mind- straight from RIP to RRD, then HALO School, THEN Pre Ranger and Ranger School- oh yeah, later a Best Ranger Competiton Winner and served as my Weapons Squad Leader in the 101st...
Old 7 March 2018, 10:27
Administrator

[QUOTE=RGR.Montcalm;1058710549]
Quote:
I just can't get my head around any scenario where somebody goes through RASP and straight into RRD.QUOTE]

Michael Sonnenschein comes to mind- straight from RIP to RRD, then HALO School, THEN Pre Ranger and Ranger School- oh yeah, later a Best Ranger Competiton Winner and served as my Weapons Squad Leader in the 101st...

Mike was an E-5 in A Co when I got there.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 7 March 2018, 20:50
Been There Done That

[QUOTE=Sharky;1058710583]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post

Mike was an E-5 in A Co when I got there.
Hey I remember Sonnenschiem.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Our new posting rules