SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 10 June 2011, 14:34

Runing Watches (GPS, Heartrate)

Back in the military we obviously ran all the time. I would also run on my own just simply because I loved to get out and run. Early 2000's, post military I was more into the body building physique and said the hell with cardio and did nothing but heavy lifting. A few years ago I was doing compound exercises but all in all was bored with hanging out in gyms. I tried to start running again but I really wasn't into it.

Recently I quit drinking booze and somehow that motivated me to get back on the fitness track. I've been running every other day for 2 solid months and I enjoy it. I look forward to running, lost my man boobs and over all am feeling better.

I decided to check into some running watches. I have a cheap iron man I use to run intervals if I feel like it. I never have any idea how far I ran unless I get in my car and follow the path that I went (I tend to run different paths around my neighborhood.) I would guess we have some serious runners on this board, marathon, triathletes or otherwise.

What are some opinions of some of the watches out there with built in GPS and heart rate monitors? Would love if it had an mp3 player somehow built in and maybe a left handed version... but obviously more concerned with GPS and heartrate.

Thanks!
Old 10 June 2011, 14:44
Ne Obliviscaris

Suunto makes good watches. I have a Vector and an X10. They are good watches at a moderate price ($200-$500). With the GPS you're going to spend at least 3 or 4 bills easy.
Old 11 June 2011, 13:48
Been There Done That

I use a Garmin 305. I have enjoyed it since you can set it up with multiple screen displays to show HR, distance, speed, averages, etc. You can transition sports from running, biking, or others. Upon completion of your workout the watch can be downloaded to view your route overlay with comparative graphs to show your workout details. For more advanced workouts, you can use set up a variety of runs/workouts and use the virtual training partner.

My experience has been good with the 305. I have used it more for motivation and in general monitoring workouts. The device can also be used indoors, but obviously doesn't get GPS signal reception.

If you are considering the 310XT, it just is slightly smaller design with a longer battery life. My battery has performed well and held charges with no issues after a year of use.

I'm don't have any of the watch styles, but would be interested in hearing from anyone else here who does use them.
Old 11 June 2011, 14:43
Life Aquatic

The garmin 210 is nice. Has buttons instead of that horrible (imo) touch bezel. Polar makes descent ones as well but you need a foot pod for speed. I have not used the new timex ironman trainer and while pricey everyone I know that has one likes it.

I still use my gshock for whats it worth on most runs. I never use all the features on those watches and mapmyrun with a stopwatch still does the job.
Old 11 June 2011, 15:21
Confirmed User

I have had good luck with the Garmin running systems also. I started out with the 101 and recently upgraded/updated to the 405. The 405 seems to find and maintain a GPS signal fast and consistently, even when running in lightly wooded areas. The 101 was constantly dropping signals on me and even overcast skies were a problem at times. Maybe it was just the early software.

The 405 also resembles a watch and not a large rectangle like the 101. Great deals are to be found online if you take the time to look. Good luck.
Old 11 June 2011, 16:16
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I prefer to run with a Timex Ironman, or some other cheapo option. Worst case is I use the stopwatch on my iPhone.

For knowing the distance, I simply go online and check out Google Earth.

I used to put stock in the heart monitor thing, but now I think that it may be simply trying to make a simple concept complex. for the amount of distance and time that I run, worrying about whether I'm at 70% or 90% is silly.

I'd rather spend the money I would have spent on a watch on shoes and good socks....
Old 11 June 2011, 20:12
Cry havoc

Garmin 405 is the shit. GPS, heart rate, pace count, Etc.. Multiple settings to view whatever you like at once while training....as in you can view time, calories, distance, pace, all in one view or modify it to view what you like. You can also upload your workout and track the stats over time and of course overlay the routes onto google maps.

Pretty cool if you feel like dropping the cash for it. I've used mine for hiking, running, kayaking, and biking. Only problem I've ever run into is the battery wouldn't last long enough for a 32 hour race I was doing.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 11 June 2011, 20:36
Been There Done That

I have used Polar heart rate monitors in the past, and am about ready to get rid of the chest strap once and for all. I just ordered two Bowflex Pro Plus strapless heart rate monitors from a ridiculous sale here: http://www.bensoutlet.com/. $14.99 each
Old 12 June 2011, 00:07

Thanks for the heads up on the heart monitor. I ordered one!
Old 12 June 2011, 01:57
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoy6 View Post
I use a Garmin 305. I have enjoyed it since you can set it up with multiple screen displays to show HR, distance, speed, averages, etc. You can transition sports from running, biking, or others. Upon completion of your workout the watch can be downloaded to view your route overlay with comparative graphs to show your workout details. For more advanced workouts, you can use set up a variety of runs/workouts and use the virtual training partner.

My experience has been good with the 305. I have used it more for motivation and in general monitoring workouts. The device can also be used indoors, but obviously doesn't get GPS signal reception.

If you are considering the 310XT, it just is slightly smaller design with a longer battery life. My battery has performed well and held charges with no issues after a year of use.

I'm don't have any of the watch styles, but would be interested in hearing from anyone else here who does use them.

X2..Love the 305. I used it for Running when I Got it. Now, I can switch it from my wrist when running to my bike in seconds. You could get them pretty cheap these days considering the 405 is out.

C.co 1/75 96-99
RS 3-98
Old 12 June 2011, 08:57
Been There Done That

The 305 can be found cheap these days. An option is the watch Craigslist for used HR monitors.

Our new posting rules