SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 12 May 2016, 16:14
Authorized Personnel

Attack Force Zulu (Zed Squad) commanded by Mel Gibson. They killed a lot of Nips.
Old 12 May 2016, 21:57
Been There Done That

^One of my favorite movies. M3 Grease guns with suppressors as well.
Old 16 June 2016, 12:46
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
I was curious as to the percentage of all US forces in WWII were NG/reserve but my google-fu is failing me. What I DID find, and very fascinating, was that ALL NG divisions saw combat, the 34th Div (NG) saw more days of combat than any other division, and that the total number of servicemen (all branches and components) were around 16 million, out of a population of approx 139 milion, about 1:9 (that's total pop; extrapolate the adults and of course it narrows).
The 34th division also had one of the longest tours in OIF(i think it was claimed by the 133rd infantry but they are part of the current 34th Redbull div)

Upon its return in July 2007, the brigade was the 2nd longest serving U.S. military unit in Iraq, having been activated for 22 months total with 16 in Iraq.(http://www.minnesotanationalguard.or...id/history.php) as a sidenote, there were some who actually did voluntary extensions so some went well past the 22 months/16 in iraq.

Last edited by RedBull; 16 June 2016 at 12:56.
Old 16 June 2016, 14:13
Retired Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
The 34th division also had one of the longest tours in OIF(i think it was claimed by the 133rd infantry but they are part of the current 34th Redbull div)

Upon its return in July 2007, the brigade was the 2nd longest serving U.S. military unit in Iraq, having been activated for 22 months total with 16 in Iraq.(http://www.minnesotanationalguard.or...id/history.php) as a sidenote, there were some who actually did voluntary extensions so some went well past the 22 months/16 in iraq.
I was on that deployment. Yeah, 22 months, 16 in theater.
"History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices." -Bill Watterson
Old 17 June 2016, 11:18
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker19D30 View Post
I was on that deployment. Yeah, 22 months, 16 in theater.
One of the guys I went to Basic Training with ended up on that deployment. He was notified the last week of AIT that he was on the list to deploy.

Actually found out recently he ended up in AFG later on as well, I think 10-11 with the same unit/battalion.
Old 17 June 2016, 14:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post

I did not know until recently it was out of the 34th that the Rangers were formed; Darby and 281 soldiers from the 34th became the nucleus of the Rangers.
Old 28 September 2016, 19:23

3Rd Bn / 33rd armor fought in bastogne and receive the presidential unit Citation for their actions. Also like to mention when you're talking about armored divisions, the third armor div, destroyed more enemy tanks and took more ground than any other Armored Division and here's the big as they lost more men than any other division. I'll always be proud be called the Spearhead long live the herd
Old 19 October 2016, 13:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by There First View Post
I bought books about those specific missions. Those guys were sharp.
Both of those ops are featured in McRaven's book SpecOps.

Our new posting rules