SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 26 October 2012, 10:36
Confirmed User

Question Why The Marine Corps?

On October 26th 1775, King George III went before parliament to declare the American colonies were in full rebellion, and aurthorized a military response to suppress the Americian Revolution.

Next God saw fit that the United States Marine Corps be born and less than a month later, on November 10th 1775 God gave birth.

My question is was King George III's declaration of military action on America the main reason for the birth of the Marine Corps?

In High School all I wanted to do was be a Marine just like my Grandpa (USMC Retired-Frosen Chosin, and yes he did pick his teeth with a Gidon Stick.) Anyhow my Grandpa has always answered my thousand questions in broad. My question "Why?" His response "On the 8th day God Created the Marine Corps." (Kinda like when I was a kid and I asked "Grandaddy how much property do you have his answer... "Enough to turn around on."

He wanted me to go to school in lieu of the Marine Corps as he used to say "The Marine Corps will always be here but school wont." I played a little baseball but a few shoulder surgeries later the Marine Corps wasn't there anymore."

If any of you Marines can answer my question as to why the birth of these ruthless warriors I would greatly apreciate it!

Respectfully,
Rooster Cogburn

I've researched this and found a few contradicting responses.
Old 26 October 2012, 11:08
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

There isn't much rocket science involved here; the colonies simply replicated what they had seen elsewhere.

Wikipedia's entry is sufficient:

The history of the United States Marine Corps began with the founding of the Continental Marines on 10 November 1775 to conduct ship-to-ship fighting, provide shipboard security and discipline enforcement, and assist in landing forces.

LINK

Based on some of the writing in the OP, I see this thread as likely going GAY, fast. I hope it is killed as soon as it starts to do so....
Old 26 October 2012, 11:38
Been There Done That

You might want to put the timeline against the backdrop of the American Revolution at large and see what you come up with, might be interesting.

In the early months of 1775 we were waging guerrilla warfare by mostly unorganized but effective militia's, (seize of cannon and arms from Ft Ticonderoga later used to break siege of Boston by setting up in the Dorchester hills for example). For the second continental congress organizing the military was priority, they created the Army in June of 1775, Navy in October, Marine Corps in Nov.

Quote:
"Resolved, That a swift sailing vessel, to carry ten carriage guns, and a proportionable number of swivels, with eighty men, be fitted, with all possible despatch, for a cruise of three months, and that the commander be instructed to cruize eastward, for intercepting such transports as may be laden with warlike stores and other supplies for our enemies, and for such other purposes as the Congress shall direct.

That a Committee of three be appointed to prepare an estimate of the expence, and lay the same before the Congress, and to contract with proper persons to fit out the vessel.

Resolved, that another vessel be fitted out for the same purposes, and that the said committee report their opinion of a proper vessel, and also an estimate of the expence."

Quote:
"Resolved, That two Battalions of marines be raised, consisting of one Colonel, two Lieutenant Colonels, two Majors, and other officers as usual in other regiments; and that they consist of an equal number of privates with other battalions; that particular care be taken, that no persons be appointed to office, or inlisted into said Battalions, but such as are good seamen, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve to advantage by sea when required: that they be inlisted and commissioned to serve for and during the present war between Great Britain and the colonies, unless dismissed by order of Congress: that they be distinguished by the names of the first and second battalions of American Marines, and that they be considered part of the number which the continental Army before Boston is ordered to consist of."
Old 26 October 2012, 15:37
Poser

Has any one been to the tavern in Philly lately
Old 26 October 2012, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragbag
Well, not for 230+ years, right?
Old 26 October 2012, 16:27
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragbag View Post
I would like to get to Cookies one of these years,..it's about 40 min from my house. I have a couple 03 acquaintances that bug me to make the trip every year. I'm just not the "drink all day in the street," type of person I once was. I'd rather just share some story's with my old-man (Former J-Head) in a quite bar and raise a toast in recognition of the occasion. - More for his enjoyment and satisfaction.

As for the OP,...I think I read in a history book that the Marine Corps was created to give the Army something to strive for. - I kid fellas.

Last edited by Trig; 26 October 2012 at 16:37. Reason: Spelling
Old 26 October 2012, 16:32
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig View Post
As for the OP,...I think I read in a history book that the Marine Corps was created to give the Army something to strive for. - I kid fellas.
Semper Fi!
Old 27 October 2012, 11:01
Confirmed User

The formation of thee Marine Corps served a 2 fold purpose. One that SOTB points out. The second to do with the overall defense strategy of early American policy. While the US Constitution allocated for the federal government to regulate the greater defense of the nation. There was a great distrust in a Federal government holding a standing army in peacetime. The Constitution clearly states a Navy for defensive purposes(federal)as well as a militia regulated by the States to be called in times of war. The Army itself was severely limited as a result of this and was more of a beurocratic org with small amounts of troops outside of wartime. This is why the Marine Corps was formed as a department of the Navy and was given a dual role as a land/sea fighting force. Sea mission as ship to ship fighting as SOTB and others note. However as the motto often states " America's 911 force". The Corps was the only organized large body of troops that could be sent to fight without a declaration of War to protect American assets on Land (in lieu of the Army).
In times of war the Corps were first to fight because they were already ready to go. The Army had to cull the militia, train them properly, institute draft often to swell ranks etc. this didn't change formally until after the civil war iirc.
Old 27 October 2012, 11:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortalitus View Post
The formation of thee Marine Corps served a 2 fold purpose. One that SOTB points out. The second to do with the overall defense strategy of early American policy. While the US Constitution allocated for the federal government to regulate the greater defense of the nation. There was a great distrust in a Federal government holding a standing army in peacetime. The Constitution clearly states a Navy for defensive purposes(federal)as well as a militia regulated by the States to be called in times of war. The Army itself was severely limited as a result of this and was more of a beurocratic org with small amounts of troops outside of wartime. This is why the Marine Corps was formed as a department of the Navy and was given a dual role as a land/sea fighting force. Sea mission as ship to ship fighting as SOTB and others note. However as the motto often states " America's 911 force". The Corps was the only organized large body of troops that could be sent to fight without a declaration of War to protect American assets on Land (in lieu of the Army).
In times of war the Corps were first to fight because they were already ready to go. The Army had to cull the militia, train them properly, institute draft often to swell ranks etc. this didn't change formally until after the civil war iirc.
Makes sense, thanks!
Old 27 October 2012, 11:54
Firearm Industry Vagabond

Hey Trig, there's going to be a HUGE MIVF presence at Cookies this year. If you can make it, you can finally let us thank you for all the initial leg work you put in.

Shoot me a message on Skype or something if you can make it

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 27 October 2012, 12:02
Confirmed User

Why?? Because "God has a hard on for Marines, Because we KILL everything we see and keep heaven full of fresh souls".

Except lately I would think most of them are going to hell to visit their virgins
Old 27 October 2012, 12:23
Confirmed User

Although I didn't serve in the Marine Corps, I did have the opportunity to have lunch with R. Lee Emery. His lunch consisted of chaining Malrboro Reds and drinking straight Jack hardcore!

But about ten years ago when we needed to regulate in the projects and calm the "up risings" we would broadcast quotes from our iPods specifically that one over the PA and peacefully cleared the blocks.
Old 27 October 2012, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Cogburn
Although I didn't serve in the Marine Corps, I did have the opportunity to have lunch with R. Lee Emery.
Impressive!!!!
Old 27 October 2012, 12:49
Confirmed User

Shot Show 2009
Old 27 October 2012, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Cogburn View Post
Shot Show 2009
LMAO!!

Dude you're like basically a Marine.
Old 27 October 2012, 14:04
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Cogburn View Post
Shot Show 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig View Post
LMAO!!

Dude you're like basically a Marine.
I think be was my D.I.!!

"I wish you could see, what I can see... Sometimes, you have to be up really high... To understand how small you are. I'm coming home now." Felix Baumgartner
Old 1 November 2012, 23:35
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

If you've ever passed by one of their motor T convoys on the freeway, I would highly suggest that instead of giving them the usual boring thumbs up or even a gay peace sign, try giving the last lance cpl. on the back of the APC a one-finger salute- I guarantee that by the time you get to the front of the convoy, you will have collected more than a few handfulls of one-fingered replies and some well aimed dip juice spittled on your windshield.

I was giddy for the rest of the drive.
Old 2 November 2012, 00:43

Strange post, but I'll give it a shot because I'm bored.

Motor-T probably would take their one-finger-salute and not do anything. Their perceived self worth isn't high enough to give a fuck.

If it was a Grunt company that for some reason got a ride to where they were going,...well they don't give a fuck either,...but not in the way Motor-T doesn't give a fuck. So you better be the fuck sure it's not a Grunt company.

To close,..If anyone with no Military experience gave a Marine who is losing Brothers left and right in foriegn lands the middle finger for self amusement,...well I don't feel sorry for you, and I might pull over to supervise and make sure the young Devil Pups did you right like they did back in my day weirdo.
Old 2 November 2012, 01:59
NOW WITH MORE MOLECULES!

I could see it now:
Where the fuck is your pack, Jones?
You remember that car wreck a few miles back on the interstate Sergeant?
Your pack fell off the truck Jones?
Yes Sergeant, with considerable force.
Top notch Jones. Top notch. Carry the fuck on.

Never fuck with a guy who wants to die in battle.
Old 2 November 2012, 04:26
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

Look, I know I don't rate.. but I've worked with a few of the few; granted, not in combat, but nonetheless I've had to entrust my six to another (some former jars), and they've had to rely on me to cover theirs out on the field (civilian LE capacity). I'm not saying I'm one of them- far from it, but again.. I've worked with some, and out in the field- we were equals, even if just for the duration of a watch shift.

The one fingered salute was just that- a salute to display not disrespect but an understanding that what they are doing is laying it on the line. The reaction in turn was to my relief, a hilarious experience.

Again, I meant no disrespect by it, as my salute was backdropped by a HUGE smile on my face as I was doing so, and the lance corporal saw it and obliged a very well received F OFF!

If getting a good laugh out of being flipped off by a total but familiar stranger in digis makes me a weirdo?, ...well... OK. (no need to feel sorry for me) It matches my weird sense of humor at that.

Our new posting rules