SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 11 March 2014, 21:51
Conformed User

Pathfinders were a huge asset, when we got them. When we didn't (most times) we made due with in house scouts. We pushed school slots to them as we got them, and made sure they were in on the air ops planning.

I think it's a value add skill that can be performed at the BDE or BN level.

And, yes, the 82d did tons of air assaults, they just didn't make such a big deal about it.
Old 11 March 2014, 23:19
Been There Done That

[QUOTE=CDRODA396;1058349019]I don't know if their mission changed/evolved during the post-9/11 years, but while I was in the 101st, they didn't do much to support the Brigades, even though I admit tried to get the command.QUOTE]

I commanded the 101st Pathfinders during 9/11. I had a Direct Support Platoon with 3 teams. The guys came from their own INF BDE and were directly responsible and deployed with that BDE. I also had a General Support Platoon with two teams. Each team supported a lift BDE. DS "usually" recon and ran LZ/DZ while GS ran PZ ops and FARPs, but all did both.

Rules of the Regt
If it makes sense....don't do it
If it tastes good.....spit it out
If you think you're going the right way........turn around
This place sucks.....let's live here
Old 12 March 2014, 09:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaya1 View Post
Take over RSLC? Really?

I am a Pathfinder and RSLC grad and was immensely impressed with the quality of the RSLC Course and the instructors. I hope that doesn't change.
RSLC has already been removed from the RTB and now falls under the cav school.
Old 25 March 2014, 00:09

Sub Rosa - Were you with 11th Avn PFDRs in the 1980's?

I was Army Reservist in early 1980's and was with 5th PFDR Plt (Ft Meade, MD). We deployed to Swabish Hall during our annual training, as 11th Avn PFDRs was our sister unit.

I had a blast as 11B1Y. Senior Pathfinder, Team 1, 5th Infantry Platoon (Pathfinder)(Airborne). Went through Pathfinder in 1984.

Imagine my shock when (in 2001) I was in the 101st Abn (311th MI Bn) and saw for the first time a female wearing the coveted Torch! At this point the Pathfinder course was petty much being used as incentive for "Soldier of the Quarter" ....
Old 25 March 2014, 09:28
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryang View Post
Sub Rosa - Were you with 11th Avn PFDRs in the 1980's?

I was Army Reservist in early 1980's and was with 5th PFDR Plt (Ft Meade, MD). We deployed to Swabish Hall during our annual training, as 11th Avn PFDRs was our sister unit.

I had a blast as 11B1Y. Senior Pathfinder, Team 1, 5th Infantry Platoon (Pathfinder)(Airborne). Went through Pathfinder in 1984.
I suspect you're asking me the question, and yes I was and I remember you folks. Was the name of your NCOIC, Wilkinson? He was responsible for putting me in touch with SGM Balot of B/1/11 when I ETSd in 1986. IIRC Wilkinson used to be with 11th before moving over to the 5th PFDR. Almost 10 years later I ran into him again when I was with a CA BN in New York and he was with 352.

BTW Schwabisch Hall was without a doubt the best kept secret in the entire US Army, loved it! I'm heading back to visit this year, already booked the flight and hotel rooms, for the first time since 1986, can't wait!
Old 25 March 2014, 11:17
Been There Done That

The 82nd CAB still has their Pathfinders........

http://www.82ndavn.org/present82ndcabunits.html
Old 26 March 2014, 16:50

CJ -

Great to hear an old comrade's name! SFC "Butch" Wilkinson was our PLT SGT. I was Senior Pathfinder in Team 1, with SSG "Doc" Roberts as Team Leader.

We deployed to Swabish Hall in '84 and took part in the training exercise supporting FAARP sites and doing some recon work.

Six of us returned in '85 and were attached to German Army's 251st Fallshirm Bn, supporting their training exercise. We'd hoped to be able to jump and get German jump wings, however somewhere along the line some U.S. "O" said that we couldn't jump with the Germans as we had not attended German Jump School! Didn't make any sense to us, as the Germans were using American-made T-10 'chutes, jumping from American-made CH-53 helos!

We figured that someone in the chain of command didn't want to see a bunch of long-haired Reservists get a badge that he/she didn't have!

We still had a blast with the Germans.
Old 26 March 2014, 23:57
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryang View Post
CJ -

Great to hear an old comrade's name! SFC "Butch" Wilkinson was our PLT SGT. I was Senior Pathfinder in Team 1, with SSG "Doc" Roberts as Team Leader.

We deployed to Swabish Hall in '84 and took part in the training exercise supporting FAARP sites and doing some recon work.

Six of us returned in '85 and were attached to German Army's 251st Fallshirm Bn, supporting their training exercise. We'd hoped to be able to jump and get German jump wings, however somewhere along the line some U.S. "O" said that we couldn't jump with the Germans as we had not attended German Jump School! Didn't make any sense to us, as the Germans were using American-made T-10 'chutes, jumping from American-made CH-53 helos!

We figured that someone in the chain of command didn't want to see a bunch of long-haired Reservists get a badge that he/she didn't have!

We still had a blast with the Germans.
I was on Alpha Team and was there for both of your trips, we had to meet. One of my clearest memories, and yes it's been 30 years, was when one of your folks on the ground called a drop for us when we were doing a beacon mission. We missed the drop zone by about half a klick and I ended up landing in a farmers manure pile with a standup PLF.... IIRC that jump and mission actually made it on AFN News.
Old 7 June 2014, 22:54

[IMG][/IMG]

Found this old photo - 5th Pathfinder Platoon
Old 7 June 2014, 22:57

I'm the guy with the glasses center right on the picture. My Team Sergeant, SSG "Doc" Roberts is on the top step just above me. Platoon Sergeant SFC "Butch" Wilkins is center left with the green patrol cap, glasses and mustache.

Our new posting rules