Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old Yesterday, 02:13
Did...did I do that?

Fantastic work.
Old Yesterday, 03:53
Been There Done That

Nice work DD!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Yesterday, 08:39
Another pool cleaner

Holy crap, that looks great!
Old Yesterday, 09:53
Been There Done That

Really turned out well DD.
Old Yesterday, 10:22
Midgetologist

Nice work DD.
Old Yesterday, 13:04
Confirmed User

Thanks all. Still waffling between anodizing, or cerakoting the finished product.
Old Yesterday, 19:04
Been There Done That

Just picked mine up today.
Old Yesterday, 19:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Thanks all. Still waffling between anodizing, or cerakoting the finished product.
Wouldn't anodizing be more historically correct? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the cerakote?
Old Yesterday, 20:04
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
Good deal! Can't wait for your detailed review.

Old Yesterday, 20:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Wouldn't anodizing be more historically correct? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the cerakote?
Almost purely cosmetic at this point.

Be warned, the following whirlwind of discombobulated bullshit is what's going through my brain at the moment:

So I've been reading a bit about this "colt gray" finish that people always talk about how the older rifles were anodized with, as opposed to the matte black Type III hardcoat anodize we're familiar with today. However, I've also read from Nam vets that swear the rifles they were issued actually WERE black and they simply turned grey from use in the jungle, etc.

If I want to stick with the grey, to keep it authentic (assuming they were NOT actually black upon initial issue) --- I'll have to find what anodize process they used and try to find a place to replicate it......at which point it might just be easier to get a professional cerakote job from people who know what they're doing.

However, cerakoting requires sandblasting to prepare the surface for paint. My pony rollmark is a little bit shallow on the "SW" corner and I wouldn't want that to fade out. Anodizing, from what I'm told, requires much less of an invasive surface prep before it gets the dip.

Also, the recent bullshit from the ATF about the faux sear holes has my dander up. I have the stencil for the faux sear hole, but not sure if I want to apply it if I am going to send it to an anodizer ---- because of ATF fuckery. I don't think ATF really fucks with cerakoters --- especially if I don't mill out the pocket until after it's back from wherever it goes. So I might be able to just tell them to give an extremely minimal blasting prep before painting. Or I could just not etch the faux sear hole at all. But that would really bug the shit out of me.

A growing part of me is whispering to mill the damn thing out, faux sear hole and all, and just anodize it myself in one of those home kits (it wouldn't be Harcoat Type III milspec), then ship it off to a pro to finish both the upper and lower with some kind of dark gunmetal gray similar to that picture I posted a few pages back.

Quote:
PIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCSSSSSSS
Old Yesterday, 20:24
Been There Done That

May have to get one now, depending on how AZSEALguy's review comes out. Just had my roof redone, and came out to $1,500 less than what my insurance company gave me, so have some extra spending money! Yippeee!

(Had tree fall on my house a month ago, damaging a small part of the roof. And insurance company went ahead and paid for a whole new roof! )

Old Yesterday, 20:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Almost purely cosmetic at this point.

Be warned, the following whirlwind of discombobulated bullshit is what's going through my brain at the moment:

So I've been reading a bit about this "colt gray" finish that people always talk about how the older rifles were anodized with, as opposed to the matte black Type III hardcoat anodize we're familiar with today. However, I've also read from Nam vets that swear the rifles they were issued actually WERE black and they simply turned grey from use in the jungle, etc.

If I want to stick with the grey, to keep it authentic (assuming they were NOT actually black upon initial issue) --- I'll have to find what anodize process they used and try to find a place to replicate it......at which point it might just be easier to get a professional cerakote job from people who know what they're doing.

However, cerakoting requires sandblasting to prepare the surface for paint. My pony rollmark is a little bit shallow on the "SW" corner and I wouldn't want that to fade out. Anodizing, from what I'm told, requires much less of an invasive surface prep before it gets the dip.

Also, the recent bullshit from the ATF about the faux sear holes has my dander up. I have the stencil for the faux sear hole, but not sure if I want to apply it if I am going to send it to an anodizer ---- because of ATF fuckery. I don't think ATF really fucks with cerakoters --- especially if I don't mill out the pocket until after it's back from wherever it goes. So I might be able to just tell them to give an extremely minimal blasting prep before painting. Or I could just not etch the faux sear hole at all. But that would really bug the shit out of me.

A growing part of me is whispering to mill the damn thing out, faux sear hole and all, and just anodize it myself in one of those home kits (it wouldn't be Harcoat Type III milspec), then ship it off to a pro to finish both the upper and lower with some kind of dark gunmetal gray similar to that picture I posted a few pages back.

PIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCSSSSSSS

Does the ATF have the GIS coordinates for your weapon's manufacturing "Obama Bunker" yet?

Old Yesterday, 20:39
Been There Done That

IMG_20170720_173004.jpg

Initial impressions: buttstock rattles like the old school model. Finish on the upper and lower is in fact old school "colt grey".

Admittedly, the XM177 is just a bit before my time, so to make it a little more like the first rifle Uncle Sam put in my hands after BUD/S, I'm also putting together another upper to make it a M-16A1 carbine (all the parts are on their way as we speak to ADCO firearms to assemble and permanently affix the A1 flashider). Put all the parts in the mail two days ago so I can't compare right this second, but the Brownell's A1 upper I bought is significantly darker than the Troy finish.

A1 pistol grip has seen some history, but the handguards seem right off the factory line. I THINK the buttstock is coated aluminum.

Last edited by AZ5326; Yesterday at 20:47.
Old Yesterday, 20:46
Been There Done That

I'll give a range report as soon as I can get some time away from work, and not die from the AZ heat.
Old Yesterday, 21:11
Been There Done That

IMG_20170720_180758.jpg

Additional gratuitous woodpile pic.
Old Yesterday, 21:44
Been There Done That

So...this is what I have to look forward to in retirement??? Trying to re-create sub-optimal weapons the .mil issued me before the bugs were worked out? Crikey...I need to go find me a 1991 vintage M16A2 like I had at Sand Hill, or a M16A1 like we used in RIP...since a de-milled "G" prefix M60 like we had in Weapons Squad would set me back about 60 grand...
Old Yesterday, 22:39
Been There Done That

^^^ Grumpy Much?
Old Yesterday, 22:39
Been There Done That

Lighten up Francis, and go find something to shoot that makes you feel like an FNG again.
Old Yesterday, 23:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Lighten up Francis, and go find something to shoot that makes you feel like an FNG again.
I just wish the manufacturers would quit making nothing but blurry sights...when I was young they made sights that were sharp and clear...
Old Today, 01:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I just wish the manufacturers would quit making nothing but blurry sights...when I was young they made sights that were sharp and clear...
Lol! Ok, that was good Bro...

Our new posting rules