Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 19 September 2017, 11:25
Confirmed User

RFI Lake Harding, AL

A confluence of personal and professional circumstances have led me to consider Lake Harding, AL as a possible relocation destination. My google-fu searches tell me it's a very nice place. Anyone live there or in the area - or have any other knowledge of the place - and have any pros/cons to share that I should be aware of?

P.S. I can't believe this yankee is seriously considering living in Alabama!! See what living in Kali does to you!
Old 19 September 2017, 15:19
Moving Target

I think you are making a wise choice!
Old 19 September 2017, 17:42

You will love it. Relax and enjoy outstanding fishing, hunting, and just generally no people.
Old 19 September 2017, 23:04
Been There Done That

Nice area. I've drove through the area numerous times. I used to do a lot of climbing at Sand Rock, Alabama near Leesville. I always thought the prettiest part of Alabama was the Little River Gorge area. Just beautiful. Lots of Civil War history. Never lived in the area your considering but have traveled Alabama through & through.

I have relatives in Athens who also own a beautiful Lake home but forgot the lakes name.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 19 September 2017, 23:33
Confirmed User

Thanks all for the input. Sounds like this is as nice a place as it seems.
Headhunter1965 - the "generally no people" aspect is especially appealing.
Old 24 September 2017, 10:12
Sound off for equipment check!

Welcome home...y'all!

Open carry requires no permit here, and a bill to eliminate the requirement of a permit to carry concealed or in vehicle has passed the Senate. We're a "Shall Issue" state, so once you're moved, drop by the SO and pick up your permit.

Hunting and fishing are great here. Enjoy!
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 24 September 2017, 10:54
Been There Done That

Alabama is like heaven compared to California. The change of pace will take some getting used to as will the lack of nice services (restaurants, bars, healthy eating options, etc). The cost of living difference more than makes up for it.

My hippie GF moved here from Sonoma CA and has had a bit of culture shock but I doubt she would ever move back to CA now that she's seen how cheap someone can live down south.

I'm about 4 hours from Lake Harding but have been through the area several times in the not too distant past. If there is anything you want looked at in particular I can probably get down there without a bunch of hassle. Either I or my GF travel through there for work or general recreation and could swing through fairly easily, schedule allowing.
Old 24 September 2017, 14:06
Confirmed User

Music to my ears. Thanks for the tip ! It literally takes a minor miracle to get a CCW out here. Looking forward to the outdoor life again also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
Welcome home...y'all!

Open carry requires no permit here, and a bill to eliminate the requirement of a permit to carry concealed or in vehicle has passed the Senate. We're a "Shall Issue" state, so once you're moved, drop by the SO and pick up your permit.

Hunting and fishing are great here. Enjoy!
Old 24 September 2017, 14:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
Alabama is like heaven compared to California. The change of pace will take some getting used to as will the lack of nice services (restaurants, bars, healthy eating options, etc). The cost of living difference more than makes up for it.

My hippie GF moved here from Sonoma CA and has had a bit of culture shock but I doubt she would ever move back to CA now that she's seen how cheap someone can live down south.

I'm about 4 hours from Lake Harding but have been through the area several times in the not too distant past. If there is anything you want looked at in particular I can probably get down there without a bunch of hassle. Either I or my GF travel through there for work or general recreation and could swing through fairly easily, schedule allowing.
Thank you, sir! I'm planning on heading out there in November to see the place first hand, so I don't think that will be necessary. But I really do appreciate the offer.
Old 25 September 2017, 21:00
Been There Done That

Nice area, off the beaten path south of Valley. Couple hours away.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 26 September 2017, 11:26

In that area there are a ton of places to get farm fresh veggies. Not to mention fresh fish. Nothing beats living in the Country.
Old 30 September 2017, 18:55
Confirmed User

I'm with LittleFix. 3-4 hours away and can easily swing by if you need anything looked at first (or second) hand.
Great area. Great people. Excellent hunting and fishing. Crazy low cost of living.

Our new posting rules