SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Closed Thread

Old 20 November 2004, 15:36
Been There Done That

Serious PT

Yeah, I already posted this in the Lounge, but I don't want any of you ladies to miss this, since I searched "crossfit" and it seems nobody has ever brought this to the attention of SOCNET.

www.crossfit.com

Plenty of puke to go around. Grab a spoon.
"I have often thought how much happier I should have been if instead of accepting the command, under such circumstances, I had taken my musket on my shoulder, and entered the ranks ; or, had retired to the backcountry and lived in a wigwam." George Washington

Ssgt. Jacob Frazier - RIP 29MAR03 Geresk
Old 20 November 2004, 19:24
Ranger

Shoot me a PM dude. I was in 1st platoon same time frame.
Old 22 November 2004, 14:44
Fitness Mod

A little gay but the excercises look interesting.
Old 26 November 2004, 15:33
Confirmed User

Just curious who in the spec ops community supposedly uses this......and interesting that they have a gym where I used to live in Washington.....
Old 30 November 2004, 03:22
Confirmed User

Last summer I was up at Crossfit North in Seattle and bumped into a Major from SF 1st Group. I didn't get the impression that the SF guys were committed to the Crossfit program...he didn't say.
Old 8 December 2004, 12:18
Been There Done That

It seems that someone associated with crossfit is moving from board to board trying to garner interest in their program. We had some "PJs" come onto Army Ranger and start a crossfit thread. Kind of fishy that they keep infering that "Elite units" use their fitness regiment, yet no one has heard of it until recently.

Now what exactly is being implied in this photo?
Old 8 December 2004, 16:22
Confirmed User

Hey Grape Ape, good to see you here!
Old 8 December 2004, 16:41
Custom User Title

I don't know what a bunch of pictures of guys with guns have to do with pt.
Old 8 December 2004, 19:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally posted by Massgrunt
I don't know what a bunch of pictures of guys with guns have to do with pt.
My point exactly. Seems like there is an advertisement push within our community. If the program is as great as I keep hearing why haven't we heard more about it ?

If this is not an advertisement push then why not publish the program specs in all the forums instead of insinuating we can't survive without this program.
Old 9 December 2004, 00:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverback
My point exactly. Seems like there is an advertisement push within our community. If the program is as great as I keep hearing why haven't we heard more about it ?

If this is not an advertisement push then why not publish the program specs in all the forums instead of insinuating we can't survive without this program.
Those were my concerns too.....it's made out like they have trained all these different elite units...it's also made out like it's a cureall for whatever that ails you....

I'm doing just fine with running and hitting the weights on my own at the gym.
Old 9 December 2004, 00:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally posted by BadMuther
Those were my concerns too.....it's made out like they have trained all these different elite units...it's also made out like it's a cureall for whatever that ails you....

I'm doing just fine with running and hitting the weights on my own at the gym.
I am not saying it's a bad program. I am just curious as to why our "brothers" haven't posted the program and have only posted the web addy. Maybe it's some kind of fitness Amway.
Old 9 December 2004, 15:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverback
I am just curious as to why our "brothers" haven't posted the program and have only posted the web addy. Maybe it's some kind of fitness Amway.
Based on my limited knowledge, Crossfit is a philosophy of training, not a set regimen. But you can get a daily workout from their web address at no charge. IMO, it's worth a look, especially if you don't always have access to a gym.

I have had numerous contacts with Crossfit North guys and they are NOT Amway...they are very low key. Nick Nibler, one of the CN owners, gave me a free form tuneup on my deadlift, no charge.
Old 18 December 2004, 09:32
On the Extract Bird

Like I want some guy looking like this to tell me how to get in shape or stay there.

Old 18 December 2004, 12:48
Been There Done That

Look out...I posted this guys pick on the last thread from this group and I got told what a spectacular human being he is and that he is an Olympic weight lifting coach...Bla Bla Bla.
Old 11 January 2005, 19:57
Confirmed User

Question Crossfit?

Now who actually uses this, and which SOF troops, I would venture to guess "Metrosexual Commandos"?

What has this world gone to, I mean before we had the Snake Eaters, and there was a time during BUDS when there was no such thing as hydration, you had water with your meals.

I mean what's next, are they going to start incorporating Pilates and Yoga in BUDS and Ranger School, LOL.
"See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. For I lift up my hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever. If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me. I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, form the beginning of revenge upon the enemy..." -Deuteronomy 32: 39-42
Old 11 January 2005, 20:04
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Re: Crossfit?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_L
....and there was a time during BUDS when there was no such thing as hydration, you had water with your meals.
I can't help but ask where you got the info on this. Not that it is or is not true, but that you seem to put it out there with such confidence....
Old 12 January 2005, 05:16
Confirmed User

Crossfit

I've done some of the workouts on Crossfit. They will smoke your bag!!!!!

I'm in no way connected to Crossfit but I check it out every. They have a philosphy regarding true fitness. They do lots of Olympic lifts and such. For alot of us doing power lifts after working all day at what we do is kinda fucking nuts, but they have some crazy exercise, in combination that can really smoke you. Alot of them are for time hack and force you to push yourself.

example: 4 rounds of 100m sprint 50 squats 100m sprint 50 push-ups, 100m sprint 50 crunches, 100m sprints 50 back extensions.

Check it out you might like it. I don't know about 'Metero-sexual commando' lol.
Old 12 January 2005, 10:45
Confirmed User

Myself and one other guy from my company have been doing the cross fit triaining for about a month. The program is better than some worse than others. The routines will smoke your bags if done at the proper intensity, but so will most routines done at a proper intensity. The bottom line is if you are looking to change up your PT routine crossfit would be a good candidate for a replacement.
Old 24 January 2005, 13:43

I'm a Phase OIC at BUD/S. Been doing Crossfit for about 8 months. Been to 3 coaching clinics.

While I was in IZ last year I had Crossfit brought to my attention by friend. After searching the website, looking at the movements, doing the workouts, I found this to be the most sound/sensible/functional stregth and conditioning program for SOCOM personel, and here's why:

During every op we did (DA) I squated, deadlifted, cleaned and pressed, moved odd shaped heavy objects from A to B, pulled my self up over walls, jumping over/on top of cars/barricades. Sometimes is was done carrying/helping carry a badguy/ teammate, always done with the usual 40-60lb LBV. The time frame of which I was at my max HR was any where between 3 and 30 min. We were gone for anywhere between 2 and 48 hours, called out at 1500 and 0300 to do any number of things. Nothing was ever the same, no one knew what we were going to be doing the next day.

Crossfit is a methodology that is BASED on these fundamentals: Highly varied (even random) functional, high intensity movements. The above paragraph IS VARIED/RANDOM, FUCTIONAL, HIGH INTESITY MOVEMENTS.

The bottom line is our community doesn't have alot of guys that are still in legit operating shape in the mid -late thirties. These are the most experienced guys and they all have knee problems, back problems, shoulder problems......because they don't work out properly. We come back from a land warfare training trip and do a 2 mile swim. They're diving and the command has them do an 8 mile run. If we operationally train to "Any mission, any time, any where" it would make sense to physically train with that philosophy as well (I.E Crossfit's Workout of the DAY) The workouts are rarely more than 30 minutes (we all complain about time right?) and because of it's work on the posterior chain (low back, hams, glutes) it will improve every phyical aspect of your life.

"Combat offers randomized challenges, that are largely anaerobic, completely fuctional, totally random, and mixed generously between lower extremities, trunk/core, and upper extremities. Any physical conditioning program that doesn't readily match and train for this environment is woefully lacking"

The above statement was written in one of the Crossfit Journals (they give you a book of all the journals at the clinics) If anyone doesn't agree with it, I would really like to hear why. This program will make us a MUCH more scary force than we already are.

This program is a great thing and the Head Coach Greg Glassman is MORE than happy to answer any questions via email/phone.

Please contact me via email if you have any questions.
Old 28 January 2005, 16:39
Confirmed User

GSM - I would think that Crossfit would be most appropriate for land operations. Have you adapted the Crossfit principles to your water workouts?
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules