SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 28 January 2009, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrjoe175 View Post

Hey MDB...seriously, the road is cheaper...LOL
I agree.....and I do prefer to run outside when possible.

But we get some pretty rough weather here for extended periods (like 2 below temp with a -20 windchill) that makes running outside a bit difficult, and I also have a 4 year old by my side for about 99.9999% of the time Im not at work........

It would be easier if I could just pop a movie in for her and go downstairs to run......

Thanks again for all of the advice.
Old 28 January 2009, 13:10
Banned poser piece of garbage

Thumbs up

Get a Life Fitness 95Ti it has already programed in it all the PFT's for the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and even CG, it is what they use on most base gyms, I've had on for a couple of years, I use it every day and it has been a outstanding piece of equipment, it is a little pricey but they do offer refurbished ones that are every bit as good as new ones price range from 2000.00-5000.00. It is well worth the money, most likely to as long as you do.
Old 28 January 2009, 13:39
JDAM
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
If time is a constraint do your floor exercises while watching the really cool financial news. If nothing else Erin Burnette will aid your blood pressure.
LOL!

Every girl has a wild side...

Last edited by JDAM; 28 June 2009 at 14:21.
Old 28 January 2009, 15:36
Valhalla July 4, 2016 RIP Frogman

JDAM
Geez! You have kilt my image of Erin.
Old 28 January 2009, 16:13
Fitness Mod

I run outside in almost every type of weather out here in the Rocky Mountains. It sucks but being outdoors makes up for it and I tend to warm up quickly. That being said. I have a Precor treadmill (can't remember the nomenclature but I can get it) that I bought before 2000 and it still works great. It has two users, wife and I, and I have been doing Tabata sprints on it for almost a year. It shows no sign of wear or fatigue.
Old 15 February 2009, 18:57

What’s a treadmill?

The first question I would ask is why do you want to run? Do you have a desk job and just need a good cardio work out or are you a field soldier? If you are just looking for cardio and your lifestyle requires a close tether to home than I have no issues with it. If you are a field soldier then I do.

The body is a complex machine and to fine tune that machine you have to “train for your event”. The muscles in your legs and the way you carry your body differ with the running surface; asphalt, gravel, mud, sand, super-elevation (road crown), up hill, down, yada yada. If your primary running modality is the treadmill, your muscles will accommodate to that as normal and you will have issues if you do the same distances on rough terrain.

If you’re Infantry your office is outside 24-7-365, not in the basement.

Last edited by FootDoc; 15 February 2009 at 18:58. Reason: format
Old 17 February 2009, 01:12
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor1 View Post
My wife and I ordered the Sole80 last week from Dicks for $1499.00, mostly good reviews and the warranty.
Have not received delivery yet so the jury is still out.

So far so good, between the wife and I this TM already has a few miles on it and seems very well built. I like to mix up road work and treadmill time because it seems the TM does less damage to my already worn legs.
Time will tell, what did you decide on if you don't mind ?
S1
Old 17 February 2009, 07:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor1 View Post
Time will tell, what did you decide on if you don't mind ?
S1
I went out and looked at the Bowflex and Sole F80, but both were much smaller and lighter than I had envisioned. I am used to running on a Life Fitness 95Ti (5.0 HP motor, weighs a ton), but I can't afford one of those.

Long story short, I decided to just stick with running outside and at our station gym. not as convenient, but I don't have 2500-3K to spend on the treadmill that I want and am comfortable with.
Old 14 August 2011, 11:31
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2Unit View Post
My wife and I ordered the Sole80 last week from Dicks for $1499.00, mostly good reviews and the warranty.
Have not recieved delivery yet so the jury is still out.
Updated consumer info

Two and a half years later....

been used over 500-600+ times by the wife or myself, went past the 180 hour maintenance (it tells you) mark a long time ago. Not so much as a glitch to date. Plenty wide running surface with good cushioning for older broken knees and ankles in my case. Most importantly the electronics have stayed GTG through a tough move and use.

Not too shabby

Last edited by CarbineM1; 14 August 2011 at 11:44.
Old 14 August 2011, 15:15

Treamills

I have been a Runner/Jogger since the early '1980's. I have usually run
15-20+ miles per week, at anywhere from a 10 to 12 minute mile pace.
I have had Pacemaster treadmills since 1985. ( 3 in 26yrs. ).
Compact, extremely well made, and no maintenance problems in 26 years.
My $0.02 cents.

Our new posting rules