SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 12 July 2011, 13:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalchica View Post

Actually, peanuts and cashews are not nuts, they are legumes. All nuts contain phytic acid, but legumes are worse in that they contain phytic acid and lectins and adversely affect the gut and also affect absorption of micronutrients. Green beans are the least dangerous of the legumes, provided they are cooked well.
I don't recall calling a peanut a nut, but I'll check into the lectin thing. Thanks.
Old 12 July 2011, 13:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatLasagna View Post
I don't recall calling a peanut a nut, but I'll check into the lectin thing. Thanks.
http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html
Common groups: dairy; legumes (includes soy and peanuts); nuts; seeds; nightshades, includes potato, tomato, eggplant; eggs; grains, esp. gluten grains such as wheat, rye and barley but corn can be an antigen too. Millet, wild rice and plain white rice are usually safe substitutes while testing grains.

Hmm, so, no tomatoes, dairy, or eggs either? I assume the lectins are worse in grain-fed animals.
Old 12 July 2011, 22:19
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html
Common groups: dairy; legumes (includes soy and peanuts); nuts; seeds; nightshades, includes potato, tomato, eggplant; eggs; grains, esp. gluten grains such as wheat, rye and barley but corn can be an antigen too. Millet, wild rice and plain white rice are usually safe substitutes while testing grains.

Hmm, so, no tomatoes, dairy, or eggs either? I assume the lectins are worse in grain-fed animals.
Wild, huh?! Just like with anything else, moderation is key, as well as knowing what you are ingesting and the impact on your body - both short & long-term. Dairy is the main difference between "Paleo" and "Primal" - the latter accepts it in small quantities.

Quote:
I assume the lectins are worse in grain-fed animals.
Yes.. grass-fed beef tastes ridiculously better too.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan
Old 12 July 2011, 23:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
knowing what you are ingesting and the impact on your body - both short & long-term.
Yep, so, now, I will be reaping the health benefits of thinking 'bout the lectins as I continue to eat my milk, eggs, tomatoes and legumes... :)
Old 12 July 2011, 23:18
Drawing my cutlass

KidA should be along shortly....

Quote:
Wild, huh?! Just like with anything else, moderation is key, as well as knowing what you are ingesting and the impact on your body - both short & long-term. Dairy is the main difference between "Paleo" and "Primal" - the latter accepts it in small quantities.

Yes.. grass-fed beef tastes ridiculously better too.
....this thread has been a delight to follow.
Old 13 September 2011, 11:26
Drawing my cutlass

Follow up and milestone....

....I've been on the regimen I outlined in the OP since June 29th and have reached a milestone that I thought I would arrive at at the end of the month. Here's the tale of the tape:

June 29th weight: 192 lbs.
September 13th weight: 172 lbs.

I still have a bit to go to reach my goal of returning to my AD weight of 168, but I have to say that I feel healthier and am far more energetic. The bonita hermosa appreciates it too.

I can't say that it will work for everyone, but it's worked for me.

Last edited by Justaclerk; 13 September 2011 at 11:29.
Old 27 September 2011, 19:47
Been There Done That

I've lost 16 pounds since July doing the same thing pretty much every week.

- 5 mile run (5 days per week)
- 1/2 mile swim (4 days per week)
- 45-60 minutes of lifting (3 days per week)

Diet changes: Normal diet except no silly things like cheesecake, eating more beans and substituting ground turkey for ground beef; beer no more than 2 days per week; changed to Taco Bell combo #3 when I eat there on my off diet day (3 taco supremes with iced tea and cinnamon twists); cut pretzels and chips from diet; drink water or Lipton diet iced tea throughout day; added 6000mg fish oil and 2500 mcg B12 vitamins in addition to centrum daily multivitamin

I think that I could be 15-20 pounds less by Xmas - which would put me back at 160-165 which would be perfect.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 27 September 2011, 23:11
Confirmed User

Justaclerk,

Have you noticed a big reduction in energy levels with the diet your on?

I am of the same mindset with most that your diet is paramount or more important than even PT....I find with myself that if I go a stretch with minimal meat intake (OK...opened myself up to a host of comments from this crowd) I feel slugish and down and out exhausted...

I don't know how vegeterians do it...

On vegetarians...I recently went through a training course where 2 individuals were removed for injuries...both with stress fractures in legs...

Coincidence or did a improper diet play a role? I am not one who believes in coincidence...

Thoughts?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 28 September 2011, 00:09
Drawing my cutlass

In fact the reverse...

...I have more energy than before and it's probably due to the nutrients I take in from the salads. Also, as I stated in the OP, I didn't eliminate protein just reduced it. I think my digestive and cardio-vascular systems appreciate that because they don't have to ruminate and pump as much blood to breakdown connective tissues.

I reckon the key is to find your balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger17516 View Post
Justaclerk,

Have you noticed a big reduction in energy levels with the diet your on?

I am of the same mindset with most that your diet is paramount or more important than even PT....I find with myself that if I go a stretch with minimal meat intake (OK...opened myself up to a host of comments from this crowd) I feel slugish and down and out exhausted...

On vegetarians...I recently went through a training course where 2 individuals were removed for injuries...both with stress fractures in legs...

Coincidence or did a improper diet play a role? I am not one who believes in coincidence...

Thoughts?
Old 28 September 2011, 00:11
Drawing my cutlass

Outstanding!

I'm at the cusp of my AD weight now (168) and I plan on getting there and staying there by the end of October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
I've lost 16 pounds since July doing the same thing pretty much every week.

- 5 mile run (5 days per week)
- 1/2 mile swim (4 days per week)
- 45-60 minutes of lifting (3 days per week)

Diet changes: Normal diet except no silly things like cheesecake, eating more beans and substituting ground turkey for ground beef; beer no more than 2 days per week; changed to Taco Bell combo #3 when I eat there on my off diet day (3 taco supremes with iced tea and cinnamon twists); cut pretzels and chips from diet; drink water or Lipton diet iced tea throughout day; added 6000mg fish oil and 2500 mcg B12 vitamins in addition to centrum daily multivitamin

I think that I could be 15-20 pounds less by Xmas - which would put me back at 160-165 which would be perfect.
Old 28 September 2011, 09:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Actually, peanuts and cashews are not nuts, they are legumes.
Thank you. This farmboy was about to go off on someone calling a peanut a nut....

Your so much more civilized than me..

Almond Butter = Crack at least for me it is.... LOL

On a serious note, at least for me.

When I eat free range chicken/eggs or grass fed beef or wild caught fish along with organic fruits/vegs... I do not seem feel the need to eat as much, nor have a desire for the processed foods. Yes it is more expensive but I eat less and I feel 100% better which washes out the cost.

I also drink a gallon of water through out the day. Plain water.

I do have black coffee in the morning...(my vice). Occasionally I have organic green tea hot or cold sweetened with stevia.

Edited to add - I went strict on this a month ago after I hurt my back so the only PT I am doing is walks for 30 minutes and minimal weight training giving my back time to heal. My work is sedentary. I have lost 10 pounds in a month.

JP
I heard a Green Beret say once to a man that failed a highly demanding school, "It is still the individual effort, the ability to take one more step, and to understand that the pain of finishing is more intense, but finite, however the pain of quitting is unbearable..... and eternal.

Last edited by rgrjoe175; 28 September 2011 at 09:45.
Old 28 September 2011, 10:02
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger17516 View Post
I have been a "partial" vegetarian for the past 15 years, partial meaning that I do not eat meat or poultry. Fish, eggs and milk products are GTG.

Overall, I feel great and am full of energy. Haven't had any health issues whatsoever.

In the past 15 years I had a few occasions when I had to eat meat due to no other substantial food choices available. It made me feel sluggish and work-outs were quite painful.
Old 28 September 2011, 11:49
On the Extract Bird

Happy to report I'm down 25lbs over the summer. I'm thankful for the encouragement, both positive & negative, on this site. Some of you guys are real a&&holes when it comes to fatties. I've said it once already, but thanks to Carl for making the book recommendation about the Primal Blueprint. Sisson's gig has struck a cord with me that other diet & motivational books have not. Probably not for everyone, but I personally like living like a caveman!
Old 28 September 2011, 11:52
Been There Done That

Good lord this thread makes my head hurt.

Here's my advice:

1) Eat like a man

2) Lift like a bigger man

That is all.

Our new posting rules