SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 17 February 2020, 12:53
A Texan in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Did your company pay for their tuition? That's one of the things I'm looking at - my GI Bill expired two years ago - so some kind of assistance is going to be crucial to cover the mortgage, I mean tuition payment.
Yes, my company paid their tuition and they did it on their own time over about a 3 year period. We and they are both better off for it. Neither one of them as commitment to pay it back if they leave. Both are incredibly trusted and valued employees. One of them I intend to replace me when I move on in the next few years.

When I went back to school, it was because I was leaving the IC (and at that time, still undercover) and I found most potential employers had no idea what a Foreign Service Officer could do. So it allowed me to retool in a way that made sense. Wharton gave me scholarships that covered more than 50% of the cost and I bought and ran a small business while there that helped with the rest. My wife was able to stay home with our two kids. Graduated with a little bit of debt but not really anything worth mentioning.

Both MDW and DH have great input on here.

I love to invest in committed, high potential employees. I am wary of those who enter just looking for the entitlements that they can leverage while here. Show me you are capable and driven, and have a vision, and we will support you in where you want to go.
Old 17 February 2020, 13:28
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
This was a big part of my master plan.

I ETS's in 1989 and got my BBA in '93 with my GI Bill. Big public University, with modest tuition. Grand Valley State University.

I set out after graduation to secure a job that would pay for my MBA. I do not come from money (blue collar upbringing) and had to find someone to fund my education, since I had all-but-exhausted my GI Bill with the BBA. I ended up at a firm that is no longer around, Johnson & Higgins. They not only paid full-boat tuition, but they paid for my books, and mileage back and forth to school. Can't find many of these deals any more.

Since I was not footing the bill, I attended a very expensive private Jesuit school for my MBA, University of Detroit.

Got my MBA in '98 at 31 Y/O and was 100% debt free. Never got dime from my parents, who divorced in 1988.

I had to sign a commitment that I would stay for four years after the MBA, but left one year later....sweating that fact that they might pursue me for the ~$58K MBA tab they paid. I negotiated a signing bonus to cover the cost (grossed up for taxes), and the new firm (a bank) paid me a signing bonus. But....because I went to a job that was a client of J&H, they did not pursue me for fear of bringing bad blood to the otherwise-healthy business relationship. I quietly pocketed the bonus and bought my first BMW, re-did our kitchen, and got a couple guns I had been eyeballing.
My wife did the same with Xerox. They paid everything and gave her Friday off from work to attend class. She also had a commitment after graduation. She went to the Simon School (University of Rochester) and I think at the time it was valued close to 100k. I remember they even did a retreat at the onset of the program and it was held at at Niagara-on-the-Lake in Canada. They asked each candidate to bring their spouse because they had a seminar for us so we could be educated on the time commitments needed in order to successfully graduate. At the time she attended she was 28-years old engineer. That degree helped her transition her career from a low-level engineer to VP of Marketing and Sales Support for the companies most profitable sales channel. And along the way, those connections she made in the program have helped, a lot.
Old 19 February 2020, 20:07
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
This was a big part of my master plan.

I ETS's in 1989 and got my BBA in '93 with my GI Bill. Big public University, with modest tuition. Grand Valley State University.

I set out after graduation to secure a job that would pay for my MBA. I do not come from money (blue collar upbringing) and had to find someone to fund my education, since I had all-but-exhausted my GI Bill with the BBA. I ended up at a firm that is no longer around, Johnson & Higgins. They not only paid full-boat tuition, but they paid for my books, and mileage back and forth to school. Can't find many of these deals any more.

Since I was not footing the bill, I attended a very expensive private Jesuit school for my MBA, University of Detroit.

Got my MBA in '98 at 31 Y/O and was 100% debt free. Never got dime from my parents, who divorced in 1988.

I had to sign a commitment that I would stay for four years after the MBA, but left one year later....sweating that fact that they might pursue me for the ~$58K MBA tab they paid. I negotiated a signing bonus to cover the cost (grossed up for taxes), and the new firm (a bank) paid me a signing bonus. But....because I went to a job that was a client of J&H, they did not pursue me for fear of bringing bad blood to the otherwise-healthy business relationship. I quietly pocketed the bonus and bought my first BMW, re-did our kitchen, and got a couple guns I had been eyeballing.
Outside of the circumstances (or similar) you described that caused your former employer to let you off the hook, if one of your employees did the same, would you pursue reimbursement?

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 19 February 2020, 20:22
Legal Immigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritatem Cognoscere View Post

When I went back to school, it was because I was leaving the IC (and at that time, still undercover) and I found most potential employers had no idea what a Foreign Service Officer could do.
Although I do have an MBA, my commentary is more about the "why", not the "how".

What is quoted above is very important - I've lost count how many former Police / Mil sent me their CVs for advice etc on how to gain decent jobs in the civilian world. 9 times out of 10, their CV was solely focused on every little internal course and role they held in LE / Mil, and their CV was exactly the same one sent for different positions.

A lot of them battled with trying to understand that civilian recruiters didn't care about or understand the myriad of internal courses and roles that they did, but to target their CV for the role applied for. I also lost count how many times I was telling those same LE / Mil that getting further civilian education was essential if they wanted decent civilian jobs.

A lot of doors opened for me once I obtained my MBA, even though the knowledge obtained from the course wasn't that eye-opening, and could be obtained just from reading a few relevant books.
Old 19 February 2020, 23:53
Administrator

Quote:
Both of you have been tremendously successful although you downplay it a lot.
There was a lot of dumb luck involved in my case, coupled with the fact that there aren't many meat-eaters in my field. I was in the right place at the right time, and I am fairly assertive.

Quote:
Since you're both now in charge of your companies, how do you view tuition assistance to others, especially someone like me who could be an outside-hire asking for assistance?
In theory, I would be all for it, since I am a product of it. In reality, much of my industry has been invaded by private equity, which as we all know trims expenses down to increase profitability to fatten multipliers. My industry has seen tuition assistance all but evaporate since 2002 or so for margin purposes.....the insurance companies (not PE-targeted) still have them, but where I am in the brokerage/intermediary industry (PE-Targeted), they eschew it.

Quote:
Principally, I'm a loyal employee...
That's easy to say until real money is involved. I swore I would never leave J&H....culture was awesome and is still talked about as a model for the industry...then J&H sold themselves to an aggregator (Marsh & McLennan) and a bank that was courting me offered to double my salary. Loyalty, in my case, was to my family. We're talking about going from ~$70K to ~$150K a year as the primary wage-earner for a family with two toddlers at the time, and this was 1998. See what I am saying?

Quote:
How would you want to be approached by someone in my shoes?
Humility. Willingness to learn the industry. Demonstrate positive-results track record and Herculean work ethic. Translate financial value to the potential hiring authority to engaging you long-term. This is a good question - let me think about it some more.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
Outside of the circumstances (or similar) you described that caused your former employer to let you off the hook, if one of your employees did the same, would you pursue reimbursement?
Situation specific, but generally only if he/she went to a direct competitor.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Our new posting rules