SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 2 October 2014, 09:21
Life Aquatic

I definitely sweat more when I am consistent with my workouts. I have to warm up a lot more now than when I was younger and am often already through a typical bike water bottle at the end of the 15-20 min warm up.

I used to do the 50% of gatorade/water mix but have switched to NUUN tabs and have had no negative issues. Lots of different flavors to mix it up and they dont upset my stomach on long runs/bikes like gatorade does after a few hours. My wife is into hippy drinks and has been using VitaCoco water. Its not too bad, has limited extra ingredients, and tastes decent with the different flavors, it is pricey though. I try to find deals on cases of it and stock up.
Old 14 October 2014, 14:51
Ghey floor sweeper

I've been experimenting with a mix I call Smurf blood (cuz it's blue and salty, and it sounds badass) for refueling and maintaining electrolytes while riding heavy in the heat. The recipe: 24 oz Gatorade (or whatever sports drink you have on hand), 2 Nuun tablets of a flavor similar to the Gatorade, and a variable quantity of Carbo Pro to reach whatever caloric target I have. While riding, I try to take in about a bottle per hour, and chase it with plain water. It'll get you close to 1000mg/hr of sodium, and about half that amount in potassium.
Old 14 October 2014, 15:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick7 View Post
I used to do the 50% of gatorade/water mix but have switched to NUUN tabs and have had no negative issues. Lots of different flavors to mix it up and they dont upset my stomach on long runs/bikes like gatorade does after a few hours. My wife is into hippy drinks and has been using VitaCoco water. Its not too bad, has limited extra ingredients, and tastes decent with the different flavors, it is pricey though. I try to find deals on cases of it and stock up.
Gatorade is a little too sweet for my tastes, even when used in a 50% mix.

I switched to the Camelback Elixir and have been happy with it.

VitaCoco with pineapple is awesome. I tried it out for awhile. Plain and the other flavors taste like pure crap.
I don't think its worth the extra cost when compared to good electrolyte powders.
Old 14 October 2014, 17:02
Hard to Kill

I googled these Nuun tablets, of which some of you have spoken. What say ye about their hydration guidance?

HYDRATION FOR ATHLETES
By Jesse Kropelnicki & Jaime Windrow – The Core Diet

Hydration is an important factor year-round to overall health. Slight dehydration of even 2% of your body weight can negatively affect performance, and it’s been shown in studies that this nutritional intervention of staying properly hydrating is the best way to enhance or improve performance.

DEHYDRATION
The most common situations that cause athletes run into dehydration troubles:

More than 1 training session per day.
Competitions held in hot and/or humid environments; if the athlete is coming from a colder climate, the impact is even larger.
Competitions of long duration such as marathons and triathlons (specifically half and full ironman distances).

Signs that you’re dehydrated:

Dizziness, confusion, lightheaded
Dry lips, mouth and skin
Physical and mental fatigue
Decrease pace and performance
Darkened urine (one of first indicators because the kidneys are very sensitive and they will let you know!)
Increased body temperature, HR and RPE

OVERHYDRATION - HYPONATREMIA
Dehydration is a common concern but overhydration, or hyponatremia, can be an overwhelming concern for endurance athletes who tend to spend consecutive hours training or racing.

Drinking water is important, but too much water with too few electrolytes impairs performance and body function. This metabolic condition in which there is not enough sodium (salt) in the body fluids can be caused by over-hydrating and/or hydrating with only water, which can flush electrolytes from your body. Nuun is perfect for pre-event or during the day hydration as they contain sodium but without much of the un-needed carbohydrates many sports drinks have.

Signs of hyponatremia include:

Nausea and vomiting
Headache
Confusion
Loss of energy
Fatigue
Restlessness and irritability
Muscle weakness, spasms or cramps
Seizures
Unconsciousness
Coma

HYDRATION RATE – HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO DRINK?
We frequently get asked, “How much Nuun should I drink?” but the answer depends on many factors, including but not limited to body physiology, fitness, temperature, intensity of training, and diet. We recommend that athletes perform a sweat test to determine how much water is shed during training, and electrolytes can be fine tuned from there.

Calculating Your Sweat Rate
Average sweat rate is typically 1 – 1.5L of fluid per hour (32-48oz), and 500 – 1,500mg of sodium per hour, however your personal sweat rate will depend on several factors such the environmental conditions (temperature, humidity); genetics, and the athletic conditioning of the athlete.

Your sweat rate can be determined by a simple "sweat test":

Take body weight before a one-hour moderate intensity bike or run.
Record the amount of liquid consumed during workout, and weigh yourself again after the workout.
Calculate the weight change and remember to add in the amount of liquid consumed during the workout.
Every pound lost during your workout is equal to 16 oz of fluid.
Most people’s sweat contains about 500mg of sodium per 16oz. Very salty sweaters can have up to 1000mg or 1500mg per 16oz of sweat. As a very general rule of thumb, during long walking or running events, you should pee a minimum of every 2.5 hours to ensure you are staying hydrated.

Keys to hydration success:

Drink fluids throughout the day and before/during/post workouts. Maintaining a good hydration status on a daily basis by staying a step ahead of dehydration is the best approach.
Waiting until you are thirsty to drink fluids is too late – you are already dehydrated and you’ll find yourself constantly playing the game of catch-up!
Each day try to consume half your body weight (in pounds) in liquid ounces PLUS what you sweat out in training (your sweat rate). For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, you should aim to consume 75 ounces of water or electrolyte drink per day plus losses that occur during workouts.
Old 14 October 2014, 20:05
Confirmed User

I like the Power Paks from Vitamin Shoppe. Fiddy cents per drink.
Old 15 October 2014, 10:14

I was doing triathlons and long distance running for several years, and had tried most of the fueling drinks (gatorade, hammer, etc). A buddy put me onto Infinit Nutrition, and it was by far the best thing I've ever used to stay hydrated and to keep fuel in the tank. It's custom made based on how much you sweat, and your preferences as far as caffeine, flavor, and protein.
Old 15 October 2014, 10:17
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked View Post
. Fiddy cent per drink.
Smoked just went ghetto
Old 15 October 2014, 11:27
Authorized Personnel

From my experience. You should not need any special hydration tablets, drinks or other supplements unless your workouts are over 3 hours in a temperature controlled environment. You should be well hydrated in advance of the workout. Extreme heat, humidity, cold, dry conditions can be easily tolerated for a minimum of an hour if well hydrated in advance with just water. If i'm going for a long session that would include a long WOD and long run, i'll use some coconut water in my camelbak.

Sweating is just your body reacting rapidly to the workload. Can be a very good thing unless it's cold sweats with nausea and or dizziness. Then you're having a heart attack.

As others have stated, hydrate well before the workout. During is too late.
This is not survival training or an event that takes most of the day like a triathlon or long OCR. It's just a workout so I would not over think it. You get electrolytes with your daily food intake. That along with water should be more than sufficient.

Again, just what works for me. Good luck in your training!
Old 15 October 2014, 12:23
In Vino Veritas

TFG,

I think you are asking a pretty person specific question. There are too many environmental and personal fitness level variables to play into to it to get a straight answer. Personally, when I get a side stitch I know I'm not hydrated.

I drink about 1 gal a day. I have a 1L (32oz for those of you who still swear allegiance to the King) bottle and drink at least three day. When I have a high intensity workout or longer run I supplement with a GU pack. It has caffeine, carbs, and NA/K in it. In the summer I'll do a longer run (6-8mi), not take any water, and be fine.

I don't notice more or less sweat depending on my fitness level, but when I start to sweat more. As in the more fit I am at a particular part of the year it will take me longer to start sweating.

As for Gatorade, yuck. Waaaaaaaaaaay to sweet for me. At a bare minimum I'll mix it 50/50 with water. As Gavin stated; it's not so much that guys are under hydrated, but more that they piss out/sweat out all of their electrolytes and then cramp up.
Old 15 October 2014, 13:27
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
TFG,

I think you are asking a pretty person specific question. There are too many environmental and personal fitness level variables to play into to it to get a straight answer. Personally, when I get a side stitch I know I'm not hydrated.

I drink about 1 gal a day. I have a 1L (32oz for those of you who still swear allegiance to the King) bottle and drink at least three day. When I have a high intensity workout or longer run I supplement with a GU pack. It has caffeine, carbs, and NA/K in it. In the summer I'll do a longer run (6-8mi), not take any water, and be fine.

I don't notice more or less sweat depending on my fitness level, but when I start to sweat more. As in the more fit I am at a particular part of the year it will take me longer to start sweating.

As for Gatorade, yuck. Waaaaaaaaaaay to sweet for me. At a bare minimum I'll mix it 50/50 with water. As Gavin stated; it's not so much that guys are under hydrated, but more that they piss out/sweat out all of their electrolytes and then cramp up.
I agree, hydration is like a medical procedure and every patient is different. I was just taken back a bit when I really started to hit the KB's and one day the sweat really started to flow. (I don't want to get as fat as marines with S and B in their call sign).

I still subscribe to listening to what my body craves. Sometimes the thought of gatorade is repulsive while at other times its what I crave. I try to eat enough fresh fruits and veggies so I do not need a supplement, but am intrigued by some of the products mentioned here.
Old 15 October 2014, 13:34
Ghey floor sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
What say ye about their hydration guidance?
Nuun's target market seems to be the triathlon/marathon/ultrathon crowd. That's how I became aware of it--I was looking for electrolyte tablets that I could mix into my water that wouldn't taste like shit because I'd never used Perform (the sports drink that was being offered on course) and wasn't sure how I'd tolerate it. Incidentally, lemon-lime Perform tastes like urine, and it was warm to boot. The orange-mango ain't so great, either.

My thoughts on Nuun's advice: any time someone starts quoting scary statistics, they're trying to sell you something. I've gone out and hammered it in 100+ degree weather for more than four hours at a time with nothing but water and a couple gels, and I've sweated through ten pounds of water during those sessions (I weighed in before and after, and kept track of how much water I took in). I can't say that not taking in electrolytes during that time hurt me.

But by the same token, last weekend I only got down about half the electrolytes I needed during the bike portion of a triathlon, and my legs were severely cramping two hours into the ride, and then pretty much seized up when I came off the bike. I was hobbling down the run course looking like I was trying to keep a penny between my ass cheeks. This may not be the best example, though, because I was already cramping 400m into the swim, and was essentially non-functional from the waist down for the last 200m of the swim.

I think a lot of the advice about electrolytes that is found in the multisport/endurance sport area relates to performance at the margin. Someone racing at my level (n00b) may have a generally sucky race if they don't get enough electrolytes, while someone racing at an elite level is going to bonk if they don't get enough.

Listening to thirst isn't a bad way to hydrate, although we all know that thirst isn't the best way to determine hydration status. Most of us are chronically underhydrated, but again, I think the talk of proper hydration matters most from a performance perspective at the margin. Also, the typical U.S. diet is high enough in sodium that the average person probably has electrolytes to spare (at least in the short term).
Old 16 October 2014, 04:17
In Vino Veritas

[QUOTE=Azatty;1058430094]

But by the same token, last weekend I only got down about half the electrolytes I needed during the bike portion of a triathlon, and my legs were severely cramping two hours into the ride, and then pretty much seized up when I came off the bike. I was hobbling down the run course looking like I was trying to keep a penny between my ass cheeks. This may not be the best example, though, because I was already cramping 400m into the swim, and was essentially non-functional from the waist down for the last 200m of the swim.
QUOTE]

HAHAH, that suuuuuuucks! I rode Carmel through Big Sur to San Simeon (about 95mi), and the last 15-20 mi my legs would not stop cramping up. I couldn't even sit in the saddle, I had to peddle standing up and rest in the standing position. Luckily it was mostly downhill

Our new posting rules