SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 24 July 2015, 07:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Except you said instead, as in why would you do that amount of push-ups, not add in dips or try dips as an assistance exercise.
Ok, I could have been more specific. For sure, if you want to do a lot of push-ups, you'll have to do push-ups. But if you want to bust a push up plateau, try dips.
Old 24 July 2015, 07:53
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison
But if you want to bust a push up plateau, try dips.
Presented as an option, with potential results -- sure. I do dips quite a bit. Its MY personal opinion that dips do NOT have a substantial impact upon my ability to do pushups.

So there's that....
Old 24 July 2015, 08:14
Confirmed User

Put it this way: if you can do 30+ dips straight, you won't fail at 30, or probably even 50 pushups, even if you rarely do pushups. If you're stuck at X pushups, sure, you can just keep doing the same thing and wonder why it's not working, or start doing dips. Lifting 100% of your bodyweight will spur more response than lifting 70%. The mechanics differ, so it's not a direct transfer, but it's close.

I just hate pushups, too many programs and militaries are too reliant on them, IMO. There are better forms of cardio. :bigrin:
Old 24 July 2015, 11:11
Drawing my cutlass

Update: I changed my hand position last night from wide to narrow and tucked my elbows in to allow for a full range of motion to the floor (chest to ground). The goal was form so the five sets (x10) were done slowly with a break between sets to check form (I video everything).

I then followed with five sets of dips (x10) with the same slow method and checking after each set to make sure I was at least at 90 degrees at the elbow at the end of the down phase and fully extended up (I had to readjust my position on the third set since I went too deep into the V-bar when I went in).

Today is weight day and I'm going to incorporate some of the suggestions mentioned here (sorry danheller, but your program is not what I'm looking for).

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 24 July 2015, 11:54
Sardonic Interloper

I injured my wrist from excessive push-ups and now do them on my fists to keep my wrists straight. You might want to consider that option if you do a lot.
Old 24 July 2015, 15:50
0311/8651

I have one bad hand-do push-ups with closed fist OR buy a set of those push up bars. Can do a variety of press ups with them.
My gym got rid of my favorite tricep piece of equipment, I could throw free weights on it-Dang
Old 24 July 2015, 20:23

My hand was almost amputated 12 months ago, push ups were miserable for a while. Spent a lot of time doing static stretching to get some mobility back. What helped me a lot was putting my hands on a wall and leaning into it.
Old 24 July 2015, 21:29
Been There Done That

Well, this thread is all over the place. The OP question had to do with strengthening triceps AND improving pushups--which aren't necessarily mutually inclusive goals.

In my mind, getting stronger will absolutely improve your ability to do pushups, so there's one reason to do an exercise other than pushups to improve pushups. Of course, one can't neglect the performance/display activity, which is pushups, but one doesn't run marathons to train for a marathon, or do you?

How to get stronger? Well, what's the best way to get stronger? We all know the answer to this.

With pushups it's not hard to get overuse injuries. I have a set of 5 cousins, all brothers, ranging (at the time--a couple years back) in age from 54 to 38. They're athletic (although, not a vet in the bunch, go figure!) and decided to do a 50,000 pushup challenge (or some shit) in that year. They always do something like this on New Year's day... Each of them bowed out by April due to shoulder pain.

All that said, I doubt triceps strength is the true weak link in our OP's ability to nail his pushups... I'm willing to be wrong--I often am.

Get stronger. It won't hurt.
Old 24 August 2015, 19:28

I would recommend doing more push-ups. Mine were really bad too. I saw a video on youtube of a guy that did 300 push-ups a day. I started doing that, and then I was able to knock out 100 in under 2 minutes in about 2 months. Before then, I could only do about 50; so you're doing better than me.

It should be noted that I take a very long time to show improvement.
Old 24 August 2015, 19:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_tanner View Post
I would recommend doing more push-ups.
No shit, dog? Wait, lemme get a pen and paper.

Just Fucking with you.

But seriously, there was similar advice suggested two pages ago with better knowledge. What I'm saying is: Need. SPECIFIC. Information...I check this forum nearly every day for good ideas so this is somewhat underwhelming. What were your set and rep schemes? frequency?etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (35.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 17 September 2015, 05:13
BTDT

I'd also go along with free weight training for Chest, Triceps, and Anterior (Front) Delts. Flat and Incline Bench Press, Close Grip Bench Press, Overhead Press, and Weighted Dips (Upright for Triceps, Forward Lean for Lower Pecs if you want to vary - be careful though, Dips destroy some people's shoulder girdle - maybe Rotator Cuff work too). Then you get into Muscle Fiber Type makeup of your body - Endurance vs Strength. I'd do weekly Micro-Cycles of differing Rep Ranges, ie. 8-12, 4-7, 1-3... or however you think will help the most as you trial and error your programming. I don't do pushups hardly ever, as I don't have a 200lb car that I'll need to get off of me 80 times... but when I do do them, it is more than I could ever do before, due to the weight training.
Old 17 September 2015, 07:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danheller88 View Post
Bench- 20/12/8/5/3/2/1/1/10/20
Dips- BWx25/BWx15/45lbsx15/90lbsx10/BWxFail
Pushdowns- 15/15/15/15
DB Skull Crushers- 8/8/8
Close Grip Bench- 225lbsxFail, 4 Sets
I would say that this program, or something similar, will help you increase your upper body strength in terms of bench press but actually reduce your total number of push ups.

Our new posting rules