SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 15 May 2008, 12:21
Authorized Personnel

Which supplement drinks are GTG?

I've seen all kinds of supplemental drinks at the gym and notice that several of the guys are drinking them as they workout and some after a workout. I'm told that I'm wasting my time by not drinking what I take to be caffeine laden legal speed. I'm 60 and just trying to stay loose enough to keep up with the grand-kids for a few more years.
Old 15 May 2008, 12:35
A general PITA

OCB, IMHO the best thing for you if you are just going to "maintain" or lightly up your cardio go with Smart Water(TM) it's an electrolight enhanced water with out the calories/sugars like most of those drinks you see.
Old 15 May 2008, 12:41
Freelancer

I drink EAS carb control protein shakes.You didn't specify what you do for your workouts.I lift and do cardio and I find these shakes help me recover.Also I don't bulk up as much like I have with other shakes.I stay away from energy drinks they make me jittery and paranoid and I hate the crash afterwards.I drink one shake after workouts.They also taste good you can get them at GNC,Rite Aid,and my local supermarket carries them.Smart water is good too I drink them sometimes.
Old 15 May 2008, 13:10
These ain't my pants.

In my eyes there are really only a couple of supplements that are worth the money. One being a high quality protein powder and the other being a creatine supplement. Beyond that there are a few smaller individual things that I'll pick up if I have the money. A lot of the high priced stuff you see out there is garbage that gained popularity not because it worked, but because the company is good at advertising. The vast majority of what I buy comes from At Large Nutrition. I suggest anybody that is looking for some high quality supplements to check them out. I've been pleasantly surprised with everything I've ordered from them in the past.

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 15 May 2008, 13:29
Banned User

I like the complex carb drinks prior to, and during my workouts especially if they‘re more than an hour long. The ones with sugar are prone to making you “Bonk” due to the “insulin surge”. Hammer Nutrition makes some pretty good products: http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HN...0047&AMI=10103

Post workout, a protein drink is good with a few carbs….helps in repairing the damage you did during the workout, best consumed within an hour after working out while the metabolism is in high gear. The older we get, the less we want to “Catabolize” These are my favorites: http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_cb074.htm http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_cn064.htm

Here is a pretty good nutrition article by a former coach of mine http://www.trimycoach.com/articles/Fuelinglong.htm
Old 15 May 2008, 13:34
sunshine

I'm 60 and just trying to stay loose enough to keep up with the grand-kids for a few more years.[/QUOTE]

ensure...j/k and low carb or carb control would do, watch out for the cardio kicker drinks like redline and the sort if you have any cardiac issues.
Old 15 May 2008, 14:59
Fitness Mod

I'm 45 with a 2 and 5 year old so I can relate to the challenge of chasing little ones around.

Here are a few threads that have more information. You have to sift through the posts to get good info but it’s there. Being 60 and wanting to be in shape for the kids is completely different than being a 20 something that wants to bulk up and look like a stud.

I've just started to experiment with some supplements to see if I'll change my mind about using them. IMHO, you have to go through the trial and error process with products to see what works for you.

http://http://www.socnet.com/showthr...lements&page=2

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...ht=supplements

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...ht=supplements
Old 15 May 2008, 15:07
0311/8651

im 59 and look like a stud-hehehehe
hey,time to get to the gym!
think i will like this site,great addition

Last edited by CAP MARINE; 15 May 2008 at 20:02.
Old 15 May 2008, 19:54
Administrator

I go with a Bud Light before and a Guinness / Cohiba after. Gotta go with what works for YOU.
Old 15 May 2008, 23:14
A general PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
I go with a Bud Light before and a Guinness / Cohiba after. Gotta go with what works for YOU.
Tell me you have an extra of both if I'm in the neighborhood.

Honestly though, I go with the Smart Water because it's available through most wally-worlds and is just water with electrolights. I really don't need much else to recover other than good food. All I do is run and work out with CKM(See Sig Line) and I'm up in the morning and ready to go. Though I would add a drip of Geritol with your daily IV at your age....J/K big guy!:D
Old 16 May 2008, 04:56
Authorized Personnel

Geritol isn't bad when mixed with a couple shots of Drambuie. I do 90 minutes of cardio while keeping heart rate at 125 or better. Then 30 minutes of weights. I've stopped increasing weight as I found that I tend to pull/hurt something if I strain too hard. Smart water sounds a lot better than a four dollar paper container of some magic elixir, thanks guys,
Old 17 May 2008, 22:42
0311/8651

i get my HR up there pretty good,but my resting HR is real low too.
Old 21 May 2008, 15:32
Objective Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyco6 View Post
I drink EAS carb control protein shakes..
That's my choice as well. I also keep the EAS carb control bars with me. If you buy them in bulk, they're considerably cheaper. My trainer suggested them and I haven't been disappointed. They also offer different protein to carb ratios, depending on your needs.
Old 21 May 2008, 18:47
ditch digger

Extense
Old 24 May 2008, 21:42
Confirmed User

It might depend on what your going for... taste or quality. BSN makes a great preworkout drink called NO Explode.. you can find it at most GNCs. It comes in a few different flavors but they all arent that fantastic tasting... but talk about getting you fired up for a workout.. good stuff.... my .02
Old 24 May 2008, 22:05
Administrator

I wouldn't recommend NO Explode for anyone, let alone someone who is just trying to be able to stay healthy and move around with their grandkids, especially anyone with blood pressure issues.
Old 24 May 2008, 23:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka Derka View Post
BSN makes a great preworkout drink called NO Explode.. you can find it at most GNCs. It comes in a few different flavors but they all arent that fantastic tasting... but talk about getting you fired up for a workout.. good stuff.... my .02
Yeah, a bunch of dudes from our tac teams started using that stuff... when they went for their annual physicals, their blood work was all jacked up, several suddenly had high BP, etc....

I don't trust any of that crap. I like my kidneys the way that they are.

My recommendation to you for a great drink? Water. If you want to suppliment that, go with Ensure (low carb or sugar variety). Im serious, Ive seen way too many people develop "issues" with all this other crap.

Just my .02.
Old 25 May 2008, 15:58
Confirmed User

I drink about a half bottle of V8 juice per day and water. One of the big Low Sodium bottles. I have noticed a huge improvement in my overall energy level. Right now, working 1600-0200 it can be a killer.
Old 25 May 2008, 20:13
Confirmed User

A nice supplement to water is "Emergen-C", comes in individual packets. Nothing fancy, jsut a touch of fructose and carbs, loads of vitamin C, all your B's and and a good mix of minerals that older men should be paying attention to anyway, particularly cal-mag and zinc.

Another good, safe post-recovery is Endurox- mostly electrolytes. I can only stand the original flavor, though. It helps me decrease lactic acid buildup, therefore indirectly reducing propensity for injury.
Old 6 June 2008, 18:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I wouldn't recommend NO Explode for anyone, let alone someone who is just trying to be able to stay healthy and move around with their grandkids, especially anyone with blood pressure issues.
Uh oh... I've been using NO Explode for a month now, but I feel great and have been getting very good results. I have a doc visit scheduled soon and will have my blood pressure checked. What else should I be watching out for?

As far as buying supplements is concerned, bodybuilding.com is very cheap, especially if ordering in bulk to save on shipping. They also ship quickly.

Our new posting rules