SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Closed Thread

Old 23 February 2005, 14:26
Probationary User

All the education in the world but missing one of the principles of patrolling...

OK,
If you're forced to hold a board with weight attached out front of you.

Let's call it an 8 ft board and a 10 lb weight...

Would you rather have the weight at the end of the board closest to where you are holding it, or out at the end of the 8ft?
Old 23 February 2005, 19:48
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser
Heh. You are right, shit does happen. I just plan to be able to prevent as much of it as possible by having proper joint function.

If I hadn't been doing corrective/preventative exercises, I would still have flat feet right now. All of you that do have flat feet, it can be corrected. It's primarily a hip dysfunction, and not so much the foot itself. If I still had flat feet, my life would be an unnecessary hell in the Rangers or SF. I'm relieved that I discovered how to treat it.

On a side note, I am walking out the door for Chicago, so I will be able to respond to follow-ups in 5 days or so.
You are missing the entire point of all of this.

The condition, function, and muscular balance of "the body" will be dictated by a wonderfully inconsistent diet, marginal water intake (often METT-T dictated), sleep habits similar to that of methamphetamine addicts, and conditions you can't even imagine.

Go right on thinking you know it all, bro. I encourage you to learn the hard way.

It's 10% physical, 90% mental. Period. That includes a lot more than just being able to carry heavy stuff and press a trigger.

You show up someplace acting like that. In fact, do it in RIP. Let that RIP cadre, who has probably been to master fitness school, know you know more about physical conditioning than anyone who has ever set foot on the Regiment compound.
Old 23 February 2005, 19:50
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeshoe
All the education in the world but missing one of the principles of patrolling...
Yeah, the most important one at that.
Old 23 February 2005, 20:05
Ranger002
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battboy From Hell
You are missing the entire point of all of this.

The condition, function, and muscular balance of "the body" will be dictated by a wonderfully inconsistent diet, marginal water intake (often METT-T dictated), sleep habits similar to that of methamphetamine addicts, and conditions you can't even imagine.

Go right on thinking you know it all, bro. I encourage you to learn the hard way.

It's 10% physical, 90% mental. Period. That includes a lot more than just being able to carry heavy stuff and press a trigger.

You show up someplace acting like that. In fact, do it in RIP. Let that RIP cadre, who has probably been to master fitness school, know you know more about physical conditioning than anyone who has ever set foot on the Regiment compound.
That being said back in the day I have seen PT studs snivel and whine on a mission and little guys suck it up and drive on with two rucks on thier backs. I am sure that aspect of being in the Regiment has never and will never change.

William Hazen
Old 24 February 2005, 15:10
Fitness Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerHazen
That being said back in the day I have seen PT studs snivel and whine on a mission and little guys suck it up and drive on with two rucks on thier backs. I am sure that aspect of being in the Regiment has never and will never change.

William Hazen
True dat. And I've seen fat guys graduate Scuba School while triatheltes cry poolside.
Old 18 April 2005, 03:46

Debaser

Look dude, the fellas on this thread have repeatedly said the SAME THING--and that's that you just don't GET IT.

What amazes me is that you're presumptuous enough to keep on defending your claims of medical greatness ("I studied under the tutelage of blah, blah, blah.."). WHO CARES??? You ever brought that haughty shit, along w/ your fancy-ass certifications, to N. Schmidt Street and you would've gotten your head kicked in....and that's even BEFORE you were assigned to a company to meet your Team Leader.

Look man, seriously, listen to all these people you insist on arguing with. Little hint, they MAY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT.

I'm a huge fan of SocNet and LightFighter but I've never been compelled to write a post until I read through your ridiculous rant about self-worth. "This is my specialty blah blah blah".....Good Lord, give it a rest.

And don't plan on going SF. All the fitness / therapy knowledge in the world ain't going to mask your condescending attitude (hint: there's a test at the end to filter people like you out).

There's a reason why it's called silent professionalism. Rangers can be loud and obnoxious amongst their brothers because they've earned it through shared misery--something you don't (and probably will never get to) understand, smart guy.
Old 18 April 2005, 04:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Marti 175
Look dude, the fellas on this thread have repeatedly said the SAME THING--and that's that you just don't GET IT.

What amazes me is that you're presumptuous enough to keep on defending your claims of medical greatness ("I studied under the tutelage of blah, blah, blah.."). WHO CARES??? You ever brought that haughty shit, along w/ your fancy-ass certifications, to N. Schmidt Street and you would've gotten your head kicked in....and that's even BEFORE you were assigned to a company to meet your Team Leader.

Look man, seriously, listen to all these people you insist on arguing with. Little hint, they MAY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT.

I'm a huge fan of SocNet and LightFighter but I've never been compelled to write a post until I read through your ridiculous rant about self-worth. "This is my specialty blah blah blah".....Good Lord, give it a rest.

And don't plan on going SF. All the fitness / therapy knowledge in the world ain't going to mask your condescending attitude (hint: there's a test at the end to filter people like you out).

There's a reason why it's called silent professionalism. Rangers can be loud and obnoxious amongst their brothers because they've earned it through shared misery--something you don't (and probably will never get to) understand, smart guy.
Your entire post has absolutely nothing to do with fitness, which is the topic of discussion. It was, however, filled with pointless rhetoric and machismo. You felt the need to bump the thread with this worthless post?
Old 18 April 2005, 08:18
SOCNET Moderator

Quote:
It was, however, filled with pointless rhetoric and machismo. You felt the need to bump the thread with this worthless post?
You trying to piss off the entire 75th Rgt, one Ranger at a time?

Dude, you were given a short course on respect a couple of pages ago, you apologized and were spared an early exfil.

Now, the thread gets bumped, your ego gets bruised and you choose once again to snap at someone who wears a tab that you don't.

You have some training in an emerging school of medical science, one that could potentially be beneficial to people on this board. Right now, your message is being lost because of your delivery. While your academic credentials may garner you some measure of respect from others in your field, they do not make you an authority in ours.

I'm not saying you need to genuflect or grovel. Rather, be mindful of who you are, who your target audience is, and determine the most effective means of communicating without alienating the target audience and losing the message.

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble
Old 18 April 2005, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPD1280
You trying to piss off the entire 75th Rgt, one Ranger at a time?

Dude, you were given a short course on respect a couple of pages ago, you apologized and were spared an early exfil.

Now, the thread gets bumped, your ego gets bruised and you choose once again to snap at someone who wears a tab that you don't.

You have some training in an emerging school of medical science, one that could potentially be beneficial to people on this board. Right now, your message is being lost because of your delivery. While your academic credentials may garner you some measure of respect from others in your field, they do not make you an authority in ours.

I'm not saying you need to genuflect or grovel. Rather, be mindful of who you are, who your target audience is, and determine the most effective means of communicating without alienating the target audience and losing the message.
I have respect for the Rangers, but that doesn't mean I should dignify his inflammatory post (again, nothing but empty rhetoric). He contributes nothing to the thread, instead using it to try and instigate, and *I* am the one who lacks respect?
Old 18 April 2005, 14:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
and *I* am the one who lacks respect?
Yes!

Now, move out and draw fire.
Old 18 April 2005, 14:56
Fitness Mod

Debaser

Empty rhetoric? Hey kettle...you're black. The emptiness can be found in your text book approach to the issues. Good information, if it's factual, but the jump from classroom to practical application exposes a new dimension in learning.

Here's the bottom line. This is our forum. You are a guest.
Old 21 April 2005, 04:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger5280
Debaser

Empty rhetoric? Hey kettle...you're black. The emptiness can be found in your text book approach to the issues. Good information, if it's factual, but the jump from classroom to practical application exposes a new dimension in learning.

Here's the bottom line. This is our forum. You are a guest.
Don't guests warrant respect? Marti's post was out of line, period. I had already made amends and was trying to engage in relevant discussion, and in he comes trying to stir a fire. Almost as if he clicked reply without even reading the entire thread.
Old 21 April 2005, 04:57

Also, what do you mean textbook smarts with no practical application? Who do you think I treat? Pictures in a textbook? Your body doesn't employ different mechanics simply because you're a Ranger.

The human body is the human body.

Imagine a wide receiver injured himself on the field, and was carried off to the sidelines, where the team doctor stated "Looks like you fractured your talus." Now, who the hell would respond, "What would you know? You're not a football player!"
Old 21 April 2005, 05:12

Meh, nevermind. This environment doesn't seem very conducive to free discussion, so I have no desire to participate anymore.

I respectfully withdraw from the forum. No hard feelings.

If there are any that would like to learn more about what I'm talking about regarding posture and function, check out the book "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue.

And with that, I'm out.
Old 21 April 2008, 16:07
Authorized Personnel

I know the thread got a tad bit derailed....

...Some people have mentioned working in pool time 'n stuff: I stumbled across CrossFit's little brother the other day. CrossFit Endurance

Last edited by Gryfen-FL; 21 April 2008 at 16:33. Reason: oops
Old 21 April 2008, 16:19
I'm kind of a big deal

Bad link, bro. Unless Bankle Americle is blocking my synapsis again.

Scotty
Old 21 April 2008, 16:35
Authorized Personnel

dee-da-dee

Fixed now :D
Old 21 April 2008, 19:19
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
And with that, I'm out.
Wow, looking at his post history, he really never came back. Which would make him one of the few who really kept their word -- I wish more would....
Old 21 April 2008, 22:13
Confirmed User

Smile

Quote:
If there are any that would like to learn more about what I'm talking about regarding posture and function, check out the book "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue.
Have read some of the Egoscue stuff....not impressed, hell, not even interested.
Quote:
And with that, I'm out.
Buh-by
B2

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Old 22 April 2008, 16:17

Eleven days after graduating from college I flew on an airplane for the first time to GA. A few months later I'm in the jungle trying to dodge the leaves my buddy in front of me is peeing on while we are on patrol. This thread reminds me of an epiphany I had while on that walk. "They couldn't do this." All of the professors with all of their knowledge and degrees, people I respected as having achieved 'the ultimate' by way of attaining PhDs, some who had inspired me, some who had belittled me. They couldn't do what I was doing. Great feeling.

I wish I could see this guy’s ‘Ah ha’ moment when it comes.

"Wisdom is knowledge plus the road." - Henry Rollins
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules