SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Closed Thread

Old 24 April 2008, 14:49
Authorized Personnel

Actually, I have to come in on the side of the CrossFit "mentality". Crossfit is just one name. Gym Jones is another that works this way. Heck, Google Kettlebells and you'll get all kinds of stuff. Don't hitch to any one thing and this is coming from a NON-school trained practitioner.

CrossFit is a slightly different take on what we all know as "circuit training". The idea behind CrossFit thinking is a trend away from traditional "strength training", that uses either highly specialized machines to isolate muscles or free weights that essentially isolated muscles but with some stability/control needed as well. (None needed on a Nautilus: Drop the weight and the stack makes a crash but no one gets hurt. Drop a bar with 250 pounds on your shoulder and you've got issues, maybe.) Many Personal Trainers tend to like machines because they can control their clients movements and their risk. This is not all bad and genuine muscle development can take place, don't get me wrong. But NOT the kind of muscle development needed for the variety that military operations bring.

"CrossFit" tends to emphasize a few simple things, most of which have applications to dudes in military environments. As a non-educated or certified practitioner, I appreciate their emphasis on "core" strength, and total-strength rather than isolated "muscle group" development. I am too old to care if I have bulging biceps or a ripped chest. I have to stay in good enough condition, at age 48, to be able to backpack for 11 days at high altitude, or canoe 150 miles in 10 days, or simple things such as to lift the boxes of Christmas decorations from the overhead storage, or put mulch in all the beds around the house, or lift the lawn mower into my truck, or move furniture into/out of a dorm room. I am training for general things, not specific things.

The CrossFit exercise regimens tend to mimic the movements we do in the course of "life" as I detailed a slice of above, lifting, turning, bending carrying, etc. By combining a diverse range of exercises and practicing them, for time and with measurements, over a short, intense burst, the metabolic rate goes through the roof generating pretty solid aerobic benefit and strength at the same time. CrossFit does not emphasize muscle isolation, like so many machines and barbells do. The emphasis is on generalization and unpredictability, almost randomness. They focus on a combination of strength, speed and power. The bizarre variety of exercises and movements seem to replicate the fact that at any moment, one might be running 50 yards under fire with a can of 50 cal ammo in each hand, lifting them up to a position, then run and drop to another level to sprint forward to grab a downed buddy by the web-gear to pull him back under cover. Seems to me 3 sets of 250 pound bench presses wouldn't help prepare for that, but a round of 50# kettlebell farmers carries, followed by sumo dead lift/high pulls with 35# kettlebells followed by a rope pull of a 200# tire, with some cardio-inducing ecxercise in the middle of those, over a 20 minute span, might help prepare a GI for just such an occasion.

Because it's different doesn't mean it's metrosexual or any of the other adjectives I've seen. In fact, just the opposite. Most CrossFit guys I've known avoid the "mirrors all around the gym and tight muscle shirts and macho posturing that I've seen in too many gyms. They tend to be pretty low-key, focused on getting mentally and physically more capable. Sounds like a lot of the guys on here.
Old 17 June 2008, 10:47
Authorized Personnel

Looks like the Army is coming around. Dudes, this is not a "new fitness craze". It's basic, fundamental and highly functional. I am glad to see this kind of thinking.

http://www.*********.com/news/2008/0...rhaul_061408w/
Old 17 June 2008, 17:42
0311/8651

ive mentioned this before.the Marines have their combat fitness routine now.even in bootcamp things have changed,where recruits are doing combat fitness,wearing partial combat gear,etc.even in my weight workouts i combine regular weights with routine use of dumbells and bodywt exercises.
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules