SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment

Old 1 January 2007, 18:46
Confirmed User

Super 64 Tommy Fields

This is my first attempt at setting up a thread, so please bear with.
I'd like to sort of create a memorial to Tommy (SSG Tommy Fields) who was Durant's crew chief. Tommy and I attended Lisbon High School together, and he was truly missed when the skinnies killed him. Anyone who knew Tommy, please chime in.
I have posted a couple comments years ago on the Memorial Page for Tommy, and remember football practices together, and his little Red Monza that he helped teach my dumb ass how to drive a stick from. He graduated in 1986, and me in 1987. He was a great shit, and I miss the little dude.
I cannot remember any time when Tommy ever got pissed.. amazing man.
I have to get to Fields Hall in the compound and read what they wrote about him.
Sincerely,
Steve Collins
Remember this:
Night Stalkers Don't Quit, They Rule the Night

Last edited by The91Bravo; 1 January 2007 at 19:08.
Old 1 January 2007, 18:55
Administrator

Steve,
I suggest you PM Ace and discuss it with him.

Good luck.
Old 1 January 2007, 19:07
Confirmed User

Thanks Silver,
Will do.
Steve

Message sent to Ace 1717hrs CST 01012007

Last edited by The91Bravo; 1 January 2007 at 19:13.
Old 3 January 2007, 16:50
Administrator

Steve,

Have you looked at the post I made in our "SOF Memorial Links Page" ? It may give you an Idea of what you're trying to do.

http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=248

Loved by few, judged by many
Old 4 January 2007, 03:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
Steve,

Have you looked at the post I made in our "SOF Memorial Links Page" ? It may give you an Idea of what you're trying to do.

http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=248

Thanks Ace,
I'll try to scan some pics from the yearbook (when I dig it up), but until then, I'll let this thread evolve as anyone chooses to mold it. Stuck working extra time at Blanchfield, and that leaves me less time here.

Thanks Again,
Steve

By the way, those are great memorials, to great people that lived great lives. And we own them a great deal...
May they rest in peace, knowing they done good.....
Old 4 January 2007, 03:40
Confirmed User

I got this from
jasonglh:

Quoted verbatim
""Staff Sgt. Thomas Field
In addition to the memorial page here http://www.nightstalkers.com/tfrange...eld/index.html there is a another website with a memorial thread here: http://www.bhd93.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=1018

Hope that helps

Jason""

You have to register at the bhd website, but a GREAT source of data on the incident that took Tommy's life.
Thanks Jason,
Steve
Old 7 January 2007, 06:24
ORP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The91Bravo
Anyone who knew Tommy, please chime in.
I knew Tommy as a kid but not real well and not in the Army (although I might have been on an AC with him in training once or twice and never realized). Weird to think about. I honestly never knew Tommy had even joined the army until after he was gone. He grew up right down the street from me on Pinewoods Road. His dad was the first person in town to put a solar panel on their house. (Drove by in November last year and it's still there). When I was kid I used to be babysit at Carol Black's place four houses down towards the tracks / Ferry Road (red split level, first house on Pine Street with an above ground pool, front yard always a wreck).

Used to have stick fights with Tommy and other kids in the woods behind the Carol Black's and the Elementary school nurse's house and ride BMX down through Beaver Park. My place was the gray double wide with the white picket fence right across the street from Old Man Grimmel's.

I would have graduated in your class at LHS but moved to Lewiston after my first year at Sugg MS. At Sugg I ran track and played flag football for a year. Used to hang out with Mark Shorey, Toby Wills, Brad Smith, Dana Stanley and Whitney Gross.

The memories I have of Tommy are scarce, but I do remember he was a good kid with a bit of a wild streak. Run of the mill Lisbon Maine wildman. Not enough of us left.

Last edited by Ranger1; 7 January 2007 at 06:36.
Old 7 January 2007, 10:04
Confirmed User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
I knew Tommy as a kid but not real well and not in the Army (although I might have been on an AC with him in training once or twice and never realized). Weird to think about. I honestly never knew Tommy had even joined the army until after he was gone. He grew up right down the street from me on Pinewoods Road. His dad was the first person in town to put a solar panel on their house. (Drove by in November last year and it's still there). When I was kid I used to be babysit at Carol Black's place four houses down towards the tracks / Ferry Road (red split level, first house on Pine Street with an above ground pool, front yard always a wreck).

Used to have stick fights with Tommy and other kids in the woods behind the Carol Black's and the Elementary school nurse's house and ride BMX down through Beaver Park. My place was the gray double wide with the white picket fence right across the street from Old Man Grimmel's.

I would have graduated in your class at LHS but moved to Lewiston after my first year at Sugg MS. At Sugg I ran track and played flag football for a year. Used to hang out with Mark Shorey, Toby Wills, Brad Smith, Dana Stanley and Whitney Gross.

The memories I have of Tommy are scarce, but I do remember he was a good kid with a bit of a wild streak. Run of the mill Lisbon Maine wildman. Not enough of us left.

Kirk,
Thats the same ground I used to stomp on growing up.. PM inbound...
Old 8 January 2007, 03:44
ORP

Got it, damn small world. Nice to meet another Lisbon original.

I actually scanned a picture of the Tommy Field Memorial Highway sign on the Lisbon / Lewiston line on rt 196 (across from the old drive in diner, now a car lot) a few years back and posted it somewhere on SOCNET, but damned if I can find it.

Was good shot too. I'll try and find the original scan this week.
Old 10 January 2007, 03:07
Confirmed User

Id love to see it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Got it, damn small world. Nice to meet another Lisbon original.

I actually scanned a picture of the Tommy Field Memorial Highway sign on the Lisbon / Lewiston line on rt 196 (across from the old drive in diner, now a car lot) a few years back and posted it somewhere on SOCNET, but damned if I can find it.

Was good shot too. I'll try and find the original scan this week.

Kirk,
Id love to see it.. Was that the Top Hat III drive in??
Best onion rings in Maine.
Steve
Old 10 January 2007, 05:55
ORP

That be the place, but I still can't find the picture. I'll keep looking.
Old 19 January 2007, 02:13
Confirmed User

Kirk,
found the box with yearbooks in it, now I have to get my friggin scanner workin, I'll email you as soon as I get an image saved
Steve
Old 19 January 2007, 02:31
ORP

I've looked literally everywhere, and can't find that photo either. I'll on of my cousins or someone to drive by and take another one this weekend.
Old 19 January 2007, 03:40
Confirmed User

Cool Kirk,
I appreciate it. You've seen his grave stone right? With his pic in the small oval (pewter I think) frame with a cover...
And engraved in the stone is super 64..
I am amazed that his dad Fred Sr goes there everyday to change the candles. I 've never been there and the candles are burned out. That's devotion to one's memory. I am proud to know him..
BTW, do you know Matt Plummer, lived about two or three doors further up the road (from the church) wher the Fields live?
Great guy, busted up Air Force guy.
Old 20 February 2007, 11:40
ORP

Hye sorry I missed this. Nope, Plummer doesn't ring a bell.

Anyway, finally managed to get a friend from home to do a drive by. They said they had to wait for the snow berms from the plows to go down a bit because you couldn't see it from the road. Two shots, one wide one tall.
Old 22 February 2007, 03:02
Confirmed User

Kirk,
Those must be aolg the side of Rt 196. Thanks for the pic.
Old 3 March 2008, 01:04
ORP

Finally found the original. The wonders of cleaning out a closet.
Old 3 March 2008, 22:55
Administrator

Good stuff, thanks Kirk.

Loved by few, judged by many
Old 26 March 2008, 21:38
BTDT

I'm going to be down that way next week. If there's any sources of photos or whatever that you guys can think of I can work out a trip to get them for you. Let me know.

Tax out
Old 26 March 2008, 23:22
Confirmed User

Thanks for posting the pic....

He was a great man...

Our new posting rules