SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment

Closed Thread

Old 31 January 2013, 06:22
Semper Fidelis

Military exercises in the public USA

I am just curious what you all think of the military exercises being conducted all over the United States. Just curious what you guys think. Thanks!

Last edited by Frog; 31 January 2013 at 21:08. Reason: Cut the locations
Old 31 January 2013, 06:31
Been There Done That

You gotta train somewhere, it is cheaper at home than it is overseas.....

JP
I heard a Green Beret say once to a man that failed a highly demanding school, "It is still the individual effort, the ability to take one more step, and to understand that the pain of finishing is more intense, but finite, however the pain of quitting is unbearable..... and eternal.
Old 31 January 2013, 06:40
Semper Fidelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrjoe175 View Post
You gotta train somewhere, it is cheaper at home than it is overseas.....

JP
Haha, agreed. I mean it is not the first time anyone has done this, especially the 160th. It has been all over the news and people are suggesting some wild things.
Old 31 January 2013, 07:18
Confirmed User

why not?

I think its a wise way to train and sustain dollars...plus the big city urban canyon is a great test of talent.
I love the tin-foil hat crowd, going nuts...an even better use of taxpayer dollars.
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy."

Pres. John F. Kennedy
Remarks to the Naval Academy
August 1963

Last edited by dvpj; 31 January 2013 at 07:21. Reason: typo
Old 31 January 2013, 07:54
Unemployed Stunt Double

As posted already, this has been done for years. It is not a dress rehearsal for assaults on the US population or prepping to fill the internment camps. The tin foil hat folks will get excited, and anything anyone does to convince them otherwise is just going to reconfirm for them that the UN black helos filled with foreign shock troops are inbound.
Old 31 January 2013, 08:23
Administrator

We did it all the time as part of our work ups. It shouldn't surprise anyone that the units involved here do it. Cheaper and smarter than trying to build something that will outlive it's usefulness quickly.
Old 31 January 2013, 08:33
Been There Done That

As long as there is a 160th, these sightings and rants will always happen. I remember a few in the early '90s. You have to train in an urban environment, why not use a real one? I mean hell, the buildings are already there.
"NSDQ"
Old 31 January 2013, 09:21
Preparing to defend

These exercises are always preceded by Mil and local PAO releases. Ignorance. Of course I would be ignorant also as I no longer read the local rag.

IIRC, the black helo bs was taken to new heights by some homegrown whacko's after Waco. There was also an Anarchist named Linda ????, who had a radio show, that was so insistent on finding those black helo's, that she made our weekly threat briefings for over a year.
Old 31 January 2013, 10:27
Been There Done That

Mil needs to conduct realistic combat training for in environments in which they'll be expected to fight - jungle, desert, urban...whatever. Each presents it's own set of challenges thus the need for the training. Due to the population density in the urban environment the training gets more visibility but it's necessary if we expect those who are charged with the responsibility to conduct urban warfare to do it successfully and efficiently.

The infil / exfil is only a portion of the training that occurring but that's generally what is seen or heard from the local population, lot's of skill is required to do it without peeps getting hurt or killed. The pilots and crew that conduct these ops are the best of the best, they're generally flying around a load of dudes that fit that same description but with a different skill set.

Last edited by 24/7; 31 January 2013 at 10:39.
Old 31 January 2013, 11:07
Authorized Personnel

"Hooter Bros Aviation; May I help you?"

HK

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!
Old 31 January 2013, 11:42
RIP SOTB, CASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by commocarnes View Post
As long as there is a 160th, these sightings and rants will always happen. I remember a few in the early '90s. You have to train in an urban environment, why not use a real one? I mean hell, the buildings are already there.
Yup. The 160 and it's customers are frequent flyers around here. Last time they were up, the former C.O. wanted to have a leadership PT session. They were brought to the FDNY training facility, The Rock, fitted w/Bunker gear, dragged hoses, forced doors and climb stairs, you could say they were smoked in the smokehouse. Good times w/good dudes.

Last edited by Blackjack78; 31 January 2013 at 11:54.
Old 31 January 2013, 12:10
A/1/75

We trained in Savannah, locals just got used to it.

Charlie
Old 31 January 2013, 12:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
IIRC, the black helo bs was taken to new heights by some homegrown whacko's after Waco. There was also an Anarchist named Linda ????, who had a radio show, that was so insistent on finding those black helo's, that she made our weekly threat briefings for over a year.
I still have a HUGE packet of copies of the newspaper articles that were written about TF, the birdcage, and "Black Helicopters". Everything that was found and printed until Feb 1993ish. Fun reading.
"NSDQ"
Old 31 January 2013, 12:44
Authorized Personnel

I had the opportunity to "act" in part of something similar in Guam...pretty interesting stuff.
Old 31 January 2013, 14:32
Been There Done That

That crazy bitches name was Linda Thompson. She used to make videos talking about how she would shoot down any black helicopters that she saw. Total moon bat freak!

As far as the training goes, it's got to be done. You can only fly into the same MOUT site a couple of thousand times before it gets old.
Old 31 January 2013, 20:00
Confirmed User

I heard today that this was practice for the upcomming gun grabs by the government. No really, he showed the youtube footage to me and everything.
Old 31 January 2013, 21:02
Administrator

Stay curious my friend, Ask less questions on the internet.
Closed.
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules