SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 24 October 2013, 13:24
Been There Done That

Question 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

So, my son turned 16 on Tuesday and is of course looking at vehicles. Found the vehicle named above, owned by a neighbor with a sale price of $2950. Fairly clean vehicle, 192K+ miles, 4.7L V-8 re-built about 40K ago. Drives solid but has some leaks in the axles, diffs, TC, etc. Nothing alarming, but will have to be fixed in the near future. Anybody here ever own one? Curious about the motor and reliability. Motor and trans have no leaks at all, many smaller issues I can wrench myself. KBB says private sale price should be around $2260, based on condition and mechanical issues. Any feedback would be appreciated.

RgrDrew
RLTW!

Last edited by rgrdrew; 24 October 2013 at 13:26. Reason: Addt'l info: I've owned an 04 Wrangler from brand new, so I'm familiar with Jeep stuff.
Old 24 October 2013, 13:44
Road Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrdrew View Post
So, my son turned 16 on Tuesday and is of course looking at vehicles. Found the vehicle named above, owned by a neighbor with a sale price of $2950. Fairly clean vehicle, 192K+ miles, 4.7L V-8 re-built about 40K ago. Drives solid but has some leaks in the axles, diffs, TC, etc. Nothing alarming, but will have to be fixed in the near future. Anybody here ever own one? Curious about the motor and reliability. Motor and trans have no leaks at all, many smaller issues I can wrench myself. KBB says private sale price should be around $2260, based on condition and mechanical issues. Any feedback would be appreciated.

RgrDrew
RLTW!
I've owned two Grand Cherokees, a 1996 and a 1999. Tough as nails dependable, the 1996 saved my life in a wreck. I drove the 1999 back and forth between home and FT. Benning, 600miles one way, every weekend for 5months. It
had 188,000 miles on a 4.7L V8 and had some leaks but never let me down. If its 4WD the transfer case is near bullet proof.
I say buy it. The only problem is he will probably never want to drive anything other than a jeep. Hope it this helps.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 24 October 2013, 14:00
Authorized Personnel

My SIL has a 2000 with similar milage. A lot of odd electrical problems with environmental controls so I would make sure they are all solid. That being said, a well maintained Grand Cherokee should run for a long time.
There were steering issues in some of the Cherokees and Grand Cherokees. Google "death wobble". Basically worn parts.
Drive it. My Cherokee had Death Wobble when I crossed RR tracks on higher speed roads. +40MPH.
Drive train is usually pretty solid.
Old 24 October 2013, 14:11
Make a desert and call it peace.

The 4.7s had some sludge issues iirc. See if you can do an oil analysis. S/F...Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 24 October 2013, 14:31
Confirmed User

Had a '97 GC, Limited, leather and loaded; 4L 6cyl with high mileage (don't remember the exact amount). While not a V-8, body wise and interior was pretty great. Comfy, and room a plenty. Road noise = zero and plenty of power in the straight 6. That 8 should be plenty.

Good solid body and heavy, which is a major consideration for my kids first vehicle. If they get in a accident, the heavier SUV will always fair better than a 2/4 door car.

With proper maintenance; ie brakes, exhaust, injectors, plugs, etc, I would expect a lot more miles out of that GC you are looking at.

good luck
Old 24 October 2013, 14:44
Been There Done That

@WB54, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. It is 4WD and the transfer case has the worst leakage, bottom half is wet so a new seal is in order. The other big issue is axle seals both front and rear, so 3 out of 4 brake assemblies are oil soaked, or soon to be.

@e5swf, very familiar with death wobble. Posted a thread here a while back on that very subject with my 04 Wrangler. New steering stabilizer every 18 mos or so seems to cure it. The enviro controls on the GC seem to work just fine, heat, A/C, defrosters, wipers, etc. Thanks for the info!

@E5Mike, I got the paperwork on the motor rebuild and see where the block was boiled so I imagine any sludge was taken care of then. This morning's inspection didn't reveal any oil issues.

@SGT Jeep, I'm thinking along the same lines as far as a first vehicle. Safety and robustness.

RgrDrew
RLTW!
Old 24 October 2013, 14:49
REMF

He's 16. He will be thrilled to be driving ANYTHING. I had a buddy with one of those. Not sure of the exact year however. He drove the absolute hell out of it. Never heard any complaints from him either.
Old 24 October 2013, 15:01

I have seen GC's with over 300k that still function great. I'm. the original owner of my 1995 and have had no major problems with it, other than my 16 year old daughter now thinks it is hers.

Check out mallcrawling(dot)com to see what the Grand Cherokee is capable of
Old 24 October 2013, 15:43
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
The 4.7s had some sludge issues iirc. See if you can do an oil analysis. S/F...Ken M
Beat me to it. If the oil has been changed regurlary it will be fine.

Some of the Grand Cherokees were built with an aluminum rear diff and would eat bearings. Since you know the history and the owner I would go for it. See if he will take $2500.
Old 24 October 2013, 16:03

Had a 97 with the 5.2L V8. It was a fun SUV to drive- lots of pep when you hit the gas pedal. Unfortunately you could almost watch the gas gauge drop as you drove it. It was a guzzler! I had a few transmission issues, and lots of electronics issues. The oil pump also crapped out on me and destroyed one engine. I replaced it, and drove it for another 10k miles before selling it. I doubt I'll ever own another Chrysler product after that one.
Old 24 October 2013, 16:55
Another pool cleaner

In my corner of the woods, having leaky seals is insurance against rust.
Old 24 October 2013, 17:41
Confirmed User

I had a '92 Cherokee Laredo that I put 276,000 miles on before trading it in. I loved that vehicle and had no problems with it. The only thing I replaced was the radiator and fuel pump. If I hadn't wanted a truck I'd still be driving it today.
Old 25 October 2013, 07:19
A/1/75

My brother has a '99 with the V8 since new. Not sure the miles but he uses it as his main driver. Only thing I know of is the tranny had to be worked on as it would not go into reverse one time.

Charlie
Old 25 October 2013, 09:07
Chief

I saw this ad bouncing around FB a while back its not a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo but seems to have a lot of personality...

I swear someone here was selling this.

1997 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)
220K Miles
4.0 L in-line 6
4WD
AUTOMATIC Transmission
Bright Red
Straight Stock
Crank Windows, no cruise, no tilt, no delay wiper, no nonsense
POWER MIRRORS! Woo Hoo!

$1750

Here's the deal, kids:
This is a Jeep Cherokee. This is not a luxury SUV, or a maintenance-free disposable import. It has solid front axles, wind noise, and character.
It's a Jeep. It rides like a Jeep. It drives like a Jeep. All of these are GOOD things.
It is not new, it is not pristine, it is used. This will be apparent in the pictures.

If you do not own a toolbox, have never changed your own oil, and are scared of firearms: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you have been posting on facebook all about how excited you are for pumpkin latte season: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you get offended easy and often, whine to your co-workers, and bitch a lot: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you feel you are owed anything in the world & have a bullshit job where you fail to produce: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you own a bieber album, white oakleys, affliction t-shirts, or those candy-assed stitched-pocket jeans: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.
If you consider the 2nd Amendment an anachronistic relic and have never owned a firearm: THIS VEHICLE IS NOT FOR YOU.

If, however, you have BALLS OF STEEL and consider adverse weather an excuse to do stupid shit: THIS IS YOUR JEEP.
Do you laugh at danger, and tempt fate?
Have you ever uttered the words, "Hold my beer and watch this ..."?
While bored at work do you pick targets at random and think, "I could hit that from here with the .22 ..."?
Have any of your friends quit hanging out because you were too much fun?
Do you have the number of a friend with cash memorized for bail?
When you pass an abandoned flatbed farm truck along a fenceline do you consider taking on another project?
Is your ol' lady really sick of the random piles of parts, greasy footprints, and empty beer bottles in the garage?
-could you not care less?
Do you have Jalopnik saved on your laptop AND smartphone?
Do you own a service manual for every vehicle you ever owned?
Do you still miss your first ride?
Can you carry on a two hour conversation discussing tools, scars, and hi-lift jacks?
Remember when tool companies had the balls to put half-naked beauty queens on their calendars?
Do you consider the Prius an abominable affront to the Gods of displacement, torque, and All Mighty Internal Combustion?

If you answered in the affirmative to the preceding: THIS IS YOUR JEEP.

DETAILS:
-I am the second owner. First owner barely got it dirty and engaged the front axles once.
-I have remedied this excessive caretaking with muddy roads and a pile of fun.
-The motor uses a little oil. How much? I don't know, I'm not collecting statistical analysis points.
I check the oil, I fill the oil, I drive. Not enough to bother me.
-It leaks a little oil. How much? Not enough for me to care. It has 220,000 miles, Poindexter!
If you have a vehicle with 220K NOT leaking or burning oil, it's empty!
-Rear bumper has a big-ass crease in it. I dented it backing into a concrete pole. Sober.
We drove away giggling, for the record. Haven't fixed it.
-Driver's side door was caught by the wind, whipped forward, got into the LF quarter panel.
-Radiator has a small leak. Pinhole. I can replace the radiator or you can. Really doesn't matter
A new radiator and hoses will run $145. If you don't want to replace them I will.
Add $250 to the price of vehicle. This includes radiator, hoses, and labor (beer). A freaking bargain.
-The badass little 4.0L bullet-proof in-line six starts and runs like the proverbial champ.
-Tranny and 4WD operate perfectly
-Tires will need replaced in a couple thousand miles. I haven't upgraded because I had plans:
Had planned a small lift, upgrade to 17" Wrangler wheels, and more aggressive tires.
Life got in the way - it ain't happening.
-Zombie stickers on the right rear window stay. My daughter's idea, take it up with her.
-Flogging Molly sticker stays as well. They kick ass, so there.

QUESTIONS:
-Why are you selling?
I can't justify owning it anymore. Motorsickles, kiddos, work, travel, and beer have consumed my time and money.
Someone else needs to appreciate the Jeep for what it is: awesome mechanical artistry.

-What's wrong with it?
Radiator. Small oil leaks. Driver's side door cosmetic issues.
And it's pissed it has been neglected and parked. It needs rescued.

-Does the 4WD work?
Hell yes. Like a Dickensian Orphan.

-Will you sell me the [engine / tranny / rear door / axle / etc.]?
No. I'm not in the salvage business. Buy the Jeep. Love the Jeep. Give the Jeep a home.

-Will you take [insert ridiculously stupid low number here]?
No. If I wanted [ridiculously low number] I would have asked [ridiculously low number]
Want a cheap car? Get your kid that lowered tuner piece of shit honda project down the road.
I think I'm plenty cheap for this bad mofo.

-Why is it still stock?
Because I bought it for a daily driver with the intention of turning it into a project.
I haven't had the time to do so. So I am selling it.

-Can I put a 6" lift and giant tires on it?
I don't give a shit. But be sure to use quality components and for God's sake - get it aligned after a lift!

-Would this make a good car for my daughter?
Hell. Yes. Not only a good car, a learning experience. Introduction to vehicular maintenance.
Additionally, there isn't really enough room in the back for that little bastard she's dating to try anything.

-Can you deliver?
Within reason. I'd drive it a hundred miles or so. But really, you should come get it. Look it over. Have a beer. Etc.

-Will you take a check / cashier's check / Western Union Transfer / Nigerian Promissory Note?
Would you take a ball pein hammer to the forehead?
No. I'll take Cash. Period. Bring cash or don't show.

-Will you ship to -?
No. See above.

-No, really, all I have is [lowball dollar amount]?
That's great, I don't give a shit. Unicef ain't running this deal, and until they do I want $1750.
Why? Because I don't HAVE to sell this little beauty. Truth be known, I'd rather keep it.
But if it's going to a good home - I will sell. Unless you're an asshole - then no sale.

-Why are you such a dick?
Everything is relative; you should see my friends.

Any other questions, feel free to reply to this email and ask.

http://enid.craigslist.org/cto/4119280944.html%3C/div%3E
Old 25 October 2013, 10:48
Confirmed User

^^^ Pure awesomeness^^^
Old 25 October 2013, 11:11
Road Scum

I beg to differ referencing room in the back seat

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 25 October 2013, 13:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSalsa View Post
Your post...
Unfortunately, too far away to meet your requirement for the distance. Otherwise, I'd be in for a new rad, hoses, etc. for $2K.

I called the owner, (vehicle from the OP), let him know the issues with this one and we let it go. He didn't want to budge on the price.

Also found out insurance for him was going to be almost $200 a month, liability only, because it is an SUV. Thanks USAA!

GreenSalsa, bring that thing out to CO and you've got it sold!

RgrDrew
RLTW!
Old 25 October 2013, 14:06
The atomic zit

[QUOTE=rgrdrew;1058335589...insurance for him was going to be almost $200 a month, liability only...

RgrDrew
RLTW![/QUOTE]

I keep reading these Jeep threads, as I think that will be my next truck.

Back when I was his age I was paying 3/4 of that bi-annually. No collision; if I wrecked it I was SOL.

That was my money not Dad's.

Good luck on your Jeep search!

Take Care,

S.
Old 25 October 2013, 14:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I keep reading these Jeep threads, as I think that will be my next truck.

Back when I was his age I was paying 3/4 of that bi-annually. No collision; if I wrecked it I was SOL.

That was my money not Dad's.

Good luck on your Jeep search!

Take Care,

S.
I know what you mean. My first two vehicles were a '56 Chevy pick-up and a '65 International, both V-8's and both capable of doing WAY more damage than these current vehicles. I paid all expenses for them, and don't remember paying more than $50 a month for liability, if that. Can anyone say "TORT Reform"?
Old 15 December 2013, 20:19
Been There Done That

Success! Next door neighbor is a salesman at a local Dodge dealership. Called me last night with a 97 Jeep GC, 4.0L straight 6, 200K miles, power everything (all works) and in excellent shape. $2K done and dusted. Has a little bit of oil dripping from the pan but nothing serious. Bought it this morning, drives solid as a rock. Thanks all for the info, finally found one that works!

Our new posting rules