SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 6 April 2020, 17:16
Confirmed User

SF Legends

Maj. Dick Meadows.

I had the honor of meeting this stud circa '86-'87. I was with B/1/20 SFG(A) at the time and his son was serving in the unit as well. On one of our admin drill weekends, Maj. Meadows gave us a briefing with a slide show on Son Tay. After that, we spent the rest of the day hollywood jumping UH-1Hs. We knocked off early and to top it off, the USPA types in the unit hauled ass to Elberta, Al. for the final jump of the day. We made it in time make the last load and jumped into the FloraBama Lounge for the sunset jump. My team sgt's. HH6 drove us back to the armory in Mobile. Repacking my rig, having a couple more brews, and getting ready to rack out, all I could think about was how lucky I was to be able to shake the hand of such a stud- Maj. Meadows.

Col.Aaron Bank

I was visiting my mom in Mission Viejo, Ca. some years later and saw small article in the OC register that Col. Bank was to be speaking at MV library. I was able to to meet and talk to him for about 10 mins. He was in Class A and still had a sharp mind. What else would you expect? Again, all I could think about was what an honor it was to shake that mans hand.
Old 6 April 2020, 17:40
In Vino Veritas

Thumbs up

Thatís pretty bad ass. I donít think Iíve met anyone ďfamousĒ from SOF, but I did sleep at Godzillaís house a time or two. Iíve broken bread and worked with two SOG members. One was Berlin Brigade/OTC class 5/Operation Eagle Claw.
Old 6 April 2020, 19:04
Been There Done That

CSM Joe Lupiyak (Son Tay Raider) on the other hand.....received and holds my eternal respect after working with him for 4 years at SWC.
Old 6 April 2020, 20:08
Been There Done That

[QUOTE=bounceandburst;.[/QUOTE]
You are blessed. You have walked amongst the giants.
v/r
fkl
Old 6 April 2020, 21:35
Been There Done That

I read Dick Meadows' autobiography last Fall, it was a great read. I was a voting member on a board to select MAJ Meadows as an inductee to the Distinguished Member of the Special Forces Regiment. I was actually surprised he wasn't already a member. Obviously, his nomination was a no-brainer. Another nominee at that board was Wade Ishimoto, someone I had become friends with over the years through my friendship with Earnie Tabata. Wade was also another no-brainer for induction. Wade is mentioned in Charlie Beckwith's book, Delta Force and Wade was at Desert One as part of Eagle Claw.

After reading Meadow's book, I asked Ish for some of his recollections of Meadows. It is always interesting to hear stories from these legends. Guys like Meadows, Ish, B. Waugh and plenty others are truly giants this Nation has produced.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 6 April 2020, 22:13
Been There Done That

Having Earnie Tabata as an instructor, and some good conversations with him, was very memorable, inspiring and humbling for me.
Old 6 April 2020, 22:16
Been There Done That

Ish was also a hired as a consultant after the cluster we all endured after Waco. One of the best.
https://www.c-span.org/video/?66247-...n-day-2-part-1
Old 6 April 2020, 22:33
exquisitus asinus

Had a cup of coffee with LTG Boykin a few years back... Not sure he counts as a "legend".. but.. was a pretty good guy to shoot the breeze with for a few minutes..

Privileged to know an Eagle Claw / Delta plank owner for the last 20+ years.. have smoked a lot of cigars and drank more haitian rum with him than I should admit.. Again, not sure he qualifies as a "legend".. but another cool guy that I have really enjoyed working with and spending time with over the past few decades (he is well known to several other SOCNET regulars and irregulars as well)..

Met Waugh in passing once.. Im pretty sure he makes the "legend" cut.. another great dude..

Also spent a couple of days here and there with DL "Pappy" Hicks over the years... not a household name (I dont think).. but old SOG guy that later did some cool guy stuff in LATAM for another organization after he left the army.. Definitely an interesting cat..

Its been an honor to spend a few minutes with all of them..

Last edited by mdwest; 6 April 2020 at 22:41.
Old 6 April 2020, 23:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
Ish was also a hired as a consultant after the cluster we all endured after Waco. One of the best.
https://www.c-span.org/video/?66247-...n-day-2-part-1
He still consults off and on.

I will share a story Ish shared with me, and one which I'm certain he won't have an issue with me posting. I think it has relevance to many of us (and those we raise) in doing business. It impacted me and something I have thought about often since he shared.

We were having dinner and the topic of the letter written by several SWC instructors came up. The question that started it all was...how did you get selected by Beckwith? Ish then went into how he was bothered by the letter those cadre members wrote. The thing that bothered him was that they weren't willing to sign their name to it. Ish's point was if you got something to say and it's important, sign your g'dam name to it.

I wasn't quite sure how we went from how he and Beckwith linked up to the recent SWC letters at that point, but I was paying attention. He then told my wife and me how he was working at the O & I committee back in the day and was about to PCS after the tour. There were still things he wanted to see changed/improved with the course. So he handwrote some recommendations in the form of, Issue/Discussion/Recommendation. And he signed his name. That went up the chain and landed on Beckwith's desk whom he hadn't met yet. Apparently Beckwith was pissed at some of the issues that were identified and the recommendations.

Sometime later, Ish is at an Army course (USASMA) and a fellow SF NCO tells Ish that Beckwith wants to chat with him. Ish later calls Beckwith and the topic of the letter came up. Keep in mind, the two have yet to meet F2F. Beckwith then tells Ish about a unit he is starting up and throws him an invite. The rest is history...

At some point later (after they finally meet), Beckwith mentioned to Ish that he had read the paper by Ish and that his analysis, candor, and courage to sign his name spoke volumes. Because of the letter and him signing his name, Beckwith remembered him and felt he wanted a guy like that to work with.

I enjoy talking to some of the old-timers and asking questions and then hearing a story with the bonus of a lesson attached to it.

Old 7 April 2020, 11:37
Confirmed User

My mentor growing up, a neighbor and my HS history teacher, retired from the army/SF in the mid-70s. In the mid-80s I had the opportunity to meet COL Howard and GEN Yarborough.
Old 7 April 2020, 15:46
Confirmed User

I was eating breakfast at this roadside diner off an interstate, all I can remember was it was out west somewhere like Washington, Oregon, or Idaho. Well this big guy sits next to me and we start a conversation. I was probably early 20's at the time. He asked what I do and told him I was in the Navy. He said he'd been SF during Vietnam and then broke out a Son Tay Raiders coin. I had known through the reading about history what it was but didn't really have the retrospect that I have now. No idea what his name was and one other thing I do remember is that he was a truck driver at the time. Wish I'd been smart enough to have written down his name.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 7 April 2020, 16:17
Administrator

I have told the story on here a few times. As a young E4 I was healing up from a fractured leg and got detailed to drive COL James Jones around, who was CDR of the 11th Inf Regt on Ft Benning. Long story short I took COL Jones to a Change of Command reception at the O-Club and he brought me some food out to the lobby so I was sitting there eating a sandwich when this guy in a nice suit sat down on the bench next to me. I had my beret sticking out of my cargo pocket and he asked me how I liked being a Ranger etc. We had a good 20 minute conversation when COL Jones walked back into the lobby, walked up and shook the guys hand as they obviously knew each other well. He looked at me and said "I see you met Charlie". I said we really didnt get into names, we were just talking. COL Jones laughed and said yeah that's about right. The guy sitting next to you is Charlie Beckwith. I about shit my pants. They thought it was funny.

Billy Waugh. One of my best friends is practically Billy's adopted son. I have been fortunate to be able to spend a good bit of time with Billy over the last several years as a result. Legend doesn't even begin to cover Billy Waugh. Billy is in his early 90's now and still sharp but sometimes short term memory is an issue. Last time my friend was at Billy's house, they called up Jack Singlaub just to shoot the shit.

I know a few other legends as well, but I'm afraid they might read this and get the big head ego trip and I dont feel like listening to their bullshit so I'm not going to name them.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 7 April 2020, 17:55
giving you a number

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa View Post
CSM Joe Lupiyak (Son Tay Raider) on the other hand.....received and holds my eternal respect after working with him for 4 years at SWC.
Met CSM Lupiyak back in the 70s when he was CSM of 5th Group.

Also met CSM Ronnie Strahan (another Son Tay Raider) years later when he was CSM at ISA.
Old 7 April 2020, 21:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedsall View Post
Met CSM Lupiyak back in the 70s when he was CSM of 5th Group.

Also met CSM Ronnie Strahan (another Son Tay Raider) years later when he was CSM at ISA.
CSM Ronnie Strahan told me I volunteered to be a 1ST in his Battalion.
Old 8 April 2020, 14:45
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Last time my friend was at Billy's house, they called up Jack Singlaub just to shoot the shit. :
In April of 1989, while pursuing my BS, I went to a small meet and greet at school where Gen. Singlaub was the guest speaker. He and I chatted a bit and it was within days of Nick Rowe being assassinated in the Philippines. I brought it up and Singlaub mentioned he knew about it and mentioned that we lost one of our best.
Old 8 April 2020, 16:28
Confirmed User

At a speaking event several years ago this gentleman was speaking about OBL... my wife wore her small SEAL Trident to the talk consisting of approximately 500 people. After the presentation the keynote speaker came thru the crowd to us and thanked us for all the sacrifices parents endure with SF family.
I thought that was pretty outstanding that he would spot that Trident, not to mention coming to meet us.
Therefore, we have never forgotten Admiral Eric T Olson commander of the SF command.
Attached Images
File Type: png ABD5962E-82AE-4C20-A294-F83FB9385464.png (1.36 MB, 296 views)

Don't forget Easter SEAL's

"DJT 2016"... He didn't know it couldn't be done
Old 8 April 2020, 23:02
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy0834 View Post
At a speaking event several years ago this gentleman was speaking about OBL... my wife wore her small SEAL Trident to the talk consisting of approximately 500 people. After the presentation the keynote speaker came thru the crowd to us and thanked us for all the sacrifices parents endure with SF family.
I thought that was pretty outstanding that he would spot that Trident, not to mention coming to meet us.
Therefore, we have never forgotten Admiral Eric T Olson commander of the SF command.
I worked with Admiral Olsen until recently. Good man.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 9 April 2020, 03:57
BTDT

Ernie Tabata was my 18C Instructor. We would talk for hours and not about Army stuff. He had some great and sad stories about growing up as a kid. Some of my classmates would look and say "there's Ernies grand son"

When I came back to Bragg for schools, we would chat and catch up.
Old 9 April 2020, 08:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceandburst View Post
Maj. Dick Meadows.

I had the honor of meeting this stud circa '86-'87. I was with B/1/20 SFG(A) at the time and his son was serving in the unit as well. On one of our admin drill weekends, Maj. Meadows gave us a briefing with a slide show on Son Tay. After that, we spent the rest of the day hollywood jumping UH-1Hs. We knocked off early and to top it off, the USPA types in the unit hauled ass to Elberta, Al. for the final jump of the day. We made it in time make the last load and jumped into the FloraBama Lounge for the sunset jump. My team sgt's. HH6 drove us back to the armory in Mobile. Repacking my rig, having a couple more brews, and getting ready to rack out, all I could think about was how lucky I was to be able to shake the hand of such a stud- Maj. Meadows.
I don't how long it has been since you've visited Bragg. The field adjacent to USASOC is named Meadows Field. There is a statue of MAJ Meadows on one end. The other end has Bronze Bruce, various unit markers, and the Wall honoring fallen members of USASOC over the years.

Old 9 April 2020, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I don't how long it has been since you've visited Bragg. The field adjacent to USASOC is named Meadows Field. There is a statue of MAJ Meadows on one end. The other end has Bronze Bruce, various unit markers, and the Wall honoring fallen members of USASOC over the years.
Saw the different statues with a friend back in '08. When we were visiting a friend who had just graduated the Q course.

Speaking of legends, one of the memorable moments was visiting the ASOMF museum and seeing a print of an particular operation featured.

Then visiting one of the guys who took part and seeing the same print at his house. Just signed by the folks who took part..

Our new posting rules