SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Company Vetting and RFI

Old 26 July 2018, 10:10

GardaWorld Federal Services

I'm looking for some information regarding GardaWorld. I have been offered a position in Afghanistan and I was wondering what the operational climate looks like over there. I know GardaWorld has been around for a while now and fairly established but I would like to hear from some gentleman with first hand experience.

Whats the attitude of most people working there current and former? What does the base utilities look like, are they pretty well established for contractor personnel? What is the shape of the equipment and what are the rules regarding bringing your own PPE?

Thanks in advance I am new to the contracting world and I am looking for any and all information that might help me.
Old 3 August 2018, 00:31
On the Extract Bird

I went through K9 training and NPSS with Garda in 2017. Decided not to deploy so I could develop my relationship at home (happily). The company has changed a tad since I left but many of my friends still work there and are happy.

Like most places there are sour apples but you make it what you want.

If you are K9 I can expand my option on the program but like I said its changed a bit. I'd still go back to Garda if the pay was more and the schedule better.

If they are offering you a slot I say go for it and stay positive!!
Old 9 August 2018, 13:03

WPS

I left the project earlier last year as PSS. The job is boring, but boring is good. They have everything covered for accommodation(good thing about most US Contracts). As for bringing your own PPE, we had to wear issued kit (policy may have changed by now, but I highly doubt it, only RSO's get to flaunt the fancy stuff). Weapons are all in good condition. It's a steady job that'll probably last a long time. Attitude is typical, you have the grumpy and the overly optimistic. A lot of good guys there, very Marine-Heavy environment. I do believe you have to pay Afghan Taxes now though...
Old 10 August 2018, 08:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haknasty View Post
I left the project earlier last year as PSS. The job is boring, but boring is good. They have everything covered for accommodation(good thing about most US Contracts). As for bringing your own PPE, we had to wear issued kit (policy may have changed by now, but I highly doubt it, only RSO's get to flaunt the fancy stuff). Weapons are all in good condition. It's a steady job that'll probably last a long time. Attitude is typical, you have the grumpy and the overly optimistic. A lot of good guys there, very Marine-Heavy environment. I do believe you have to pay Afghan Taxes now though...
Yep, we pay 20%
Old 10 August 2018, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm410 View Post
Yep, we pay 20%
you have to pay 20% of your paycheck to the afghan government?!
Old 11 August 2018, 21:49
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweRider View Post
you have to pay 20% of your paycheck to the afghan government?!
More likely you pay 20% to certain individuals in the Afghan govt.

An Afghan cannot be bought - but he can be rented.
Old 12 August 2018, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSRonin View Post
More likely you pay 20% to certain individuals in the Afghan govt.

An Afghan cannot be bought - but he can be rented.
Iíd love to know where the money goes, cause itís certsinly not being invested into the infrastructure here lol.
Old 12 August 2018, 12:08
Policeman Officer

It's being invested in infrastructure, just that infrastructure is in Dubai.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 12 August 2018, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm410 View Post
Iíd love to know where the money goes, cause itís certsinly not being invested into the infrastructure here lol.
I guess I'll need to find a CPA that knows how to handle contractor tax returns whenever I get on board with the contract I'm after.

It's probably being funneled to the taliban/ISIS.. but that's just my assumption.
Old 14 August 2018, 08:34

Which camp / FOB are you going to. I’m on R&R but I’ve been with Garda/ Aegis for a year now.. I can let you know the optempo
Old 14 August 2018, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrUSP33D View Post
Which camp / FOB are you going to. Iím on R&R but Iíve been with Garda/ Aegis for a year now.. I can let you know the optempo
I'll send you a PM. I'm starting the process with Garda

Our new posting rules