SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 11 August 2018, 00:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
...I think we're being trolled by the PLA...
Yep, and oh yeah, fuck China.
Old 11 August 2018, 03:01
Confirmed User

Were you sent here to start this thread OP? ��
Old 11 August 2018, 04:21
Been There Done That

The real question is, how much more subtle will the second wave be?
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 11 August 2018, 04:27
I still think I'm fooling everyone

Quote:
mini diplomats
Well, when you meet someone from another country for the first time both you and that person are representatives of your respective sides and view each other's country via optics of this contact. I'll skip the immigration and how it often negatively affects POV on immigrants' country because that's another bag of potatoes entirely, worthy of a lengthy discussion. The online interactions between people from various countries are definitely not helped by the fact that many feel anonymous and safe while online. This allows them to formulate very blunt opinions which they would never dare to speak in person out of fear of legal or physical repercussions. Is it a bad thing? And should we just accept it?

That depends on how much both sides want the contact to continue and whether they are easily offended, but that's just brushing the surface of the problem. The real deal maker or breaker is upbringing because that's what often makes people spurt such blunt opinions online where they don't have to wear a mask. If someone is conditioned to hate others or feel superior to others, all the niceties won't hide the core feelings.

Quote:
I have always experienced that it is in their character, and if we Westerners attempt to apply our ways of thinking to theirs, we will be wrong
I second FKL on this. Chinese are extremely insulated and I always had the pervasive feeling of duality when talking with them. The outer layer is a polite facade underneath which there's a feeling of superiority and unwavering conviction in their own way of living fueled by ignorance the size of the Great Wall about other cultures. As one of them bluntly said to me once: Your ancestors were digging in the dirt while we already had a thriving civilization. Hear this kind of gem and you're not necessarily inclined to continue the discussion. Still, I showed him the remnants of Biskupin and asked him: Does that look like my ancestors digging in the dirt. He puffed his lips and walked away.

As to what Gentlemen here allude to, I do think you maneouver this thread in a peculiar way. Maybe it's the meandering way in which you presented your original point, maybe its something else - but all of this makes one wonder whether you are an amateur or professional sinologist interested in gathering raw data, or a sociologist trying to provoke specific reactions for a purpose of some project(what might explain the call for a free-for-all discussion), or simply enamored with China (which might explain your nick but I too like rice, so that's that). Please don't be offended by me wondering, it's just that I don't like to be baited or maneouvered. If you're pro-Chinese that might actually spark up some great discussion IMO if you present good arguments pro and contra.

Last edited by Paul85; 11 August 2018 at 04:34.
Old 11 August 2018, 06:58
Another pool cleaner

"riceeater": what is your endgame here?

"riceater": interesting screen name.
Old 11 August 2018, 07:08
Administrator

Where are you in the northeast?
Old 11 August 2018, 08:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
It really feels like you're presenting a defense for Chinese expansion. Just a feeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
Yep...

But I suspect this is part of a larger, coordinated, program.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
From Xi's lips to Confucius' ears. I think we're being trolled by the PLA's Cyber Unit 61398 in Shanghai. Meh, pass me an egg roll Charlie.

Was thinking this from the onset, his syntax tells me he/she is not a native English speaker or grew up in a ESL houshold.

My first post was going to mention that, but don't have enough juice to make that accusation.
Old 11 August 2018, 10:13
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post

It’s lacist and I’ve been triggered.

Anyone with half a brain understands what China is doing and itÂ’s ultimate goal. But no one cares because they are presently the worldÂ’s provider of the cheap (*cough* slave *cough*) labor that facilitates the consumption that the developed world has come to demand. Look at the U.S. about 130 years ago, multiple it by 10 times, add industrial robots, and you get China (at least economically speaking). Large, unskilled labor pool, a few massively wealthy and powerful individuals, and a push to industrialize and build infrastructure while selling as much crap as possible. Gain economic power to gain political power. Tale as old as time.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 11 August 2018, 10:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
Large, unskilled labor pool, a few massively wealthy and powerful individuals, and a push to industrialize and build infrastructure while selling as much crap as possible. Gain economic power to gain political power. Tale as old as time.
They've inflated the actual worth of their 'yuan' for years...if China begins to lose a portion of this 'slave' labor pool, deflation of the yuan and economic ruin isn't far behind. If NK crumbles, well...good luck to the 'rice eaters'.

Last edited by Mingo Kane; 11 August 2018 at 10:27.
Old 11 August 2018, 10:40
pumpin gas and kickin ass

Are we talking to Feinstein's driver?
Old 11 August 2018, 10:47
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceater View Post
Thought I'd try a free for all thread for questions / discussion involving someone familiar with a Chinese perspective.
I'm not as smart as these other guys but here's one.

What's your take on China's war on the open web? It's getting increasingly shitty even at the business hotels, which used to be much more open than the access the locals get.

Older article but still very relevant IME:

https://www.cnn.com/2015/10/25/asia/...all/index.html

How do you envision the desired end state for that strategery? If you need a more specific question, what's the magic VPN provider if any to get around the Great Firewall reliably? I currently have about 4 different ones on my computer, and my overall success rate lately getting to sites I need is less than 50%. Have not been able to even get on my company's web page, and we have a major base there.
Old 11 August 2018, 11:35
Been There Done That

I have said it in other forums (not webbased) that China is conducting war on the US in the form of flooding us with synthetic opioids. China is the world’s leading producer of Fentanyl and the precursors. I called it the Reverse Opium War.

If this thread is still alive I will post some research on China Monday as it is sits on a different computer.

China is not our friend.
Old 11 August 2018, 11:52
Confirmed User

Angry

^This. China is huge and just like we have illicit labs in the U.S. its hard to guess with the volume of these synthetic opoids flooding America, are they manufactured with tacit approval or completely understand the radar?

The research involved in making the fentanyl derivatives put into heroin and even cocoaine is definitely state level though.
Old 11 August 2018, 13:26
I still think I'm fooling everyone

Quote:
China is not our friend.
China is nobody's friend but themselves. Zhōngguó is exactly that, the rest is spheres of influence over barbarians.
Old 11 August 2018, 14:15
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
I have said it in other forums (not webbased) that China is conducting war on the US in the form of flooding us with synthetic opioids. China is the world’s leading producer of Fentanyl and the precursors. I called it the Reverse Opium War.

If this thread is still alive I will post some research on China Monday as it is sits on a different computer.

China is not our friend.
If this thread goes away, perhaps post in the medical section. I would really like to read it.

Thanks.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 11 August 2018, 14:22
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
That is quite a assertion. Are you basing this on anything other than opinion?
They are certainly building military bases on disputed islands, well within Japan's territory. Used to be just rhetoric, now they are taking serious steps.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 11 August 2018, 14:23
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post

Looking for potential "friends" of China?
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 11 August 2018, 14:25
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Looking for potential "friends" of China?
He (or she) is definitely sympathetic to China.

All of the positions put forth in his posts sound almost canned, like they were scripted well in advance of starting the thread.
Old 11 August 2018, 14:44
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
China considers the whole western Pacific to be their territorial waters, only a matter of time before they start to take steps to control them. They would really like to push the US back to Hawaii, maybe even further.
Quote:
That is quite a assertion. Are you basing this on anything other than opinion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
They are certainly building military bases on disputed islands, well within Japan's territory. Used to be just rhetoric, now they are taking serious steps.
The Spratly Islands are over 6000 miles from Hawaii. Six-thousand. A six, followed by 3 zeros. Miles. Six-thousand miles.

The Spratly Islands are less than 700 miles from Hainan Island. 1700ish miles from the main Japanese islands. 180ish miles from Palawan. 410 miles from Brunei. 460 miles from Vietnam.

Meanwhile, the Japanese are doing the same thing, building islands in the Philippine Sea, 850 miles from Taipei. The Philippines government is refurbishing a military base on Pagasa Island (in the Spratly Islands), and reportedly want the US to position forces once complete. The Vietnamese are reportedly considering asking the US to position forces at Cam Ranh Bay.

Yep, them Chinamen are making a big push towards Hawaii, and aim to push us back even further...hell, maybe as far as Utah. Crazy, expansionist Chinese aggression, directed solely at the US. Has nothing to do with regional power plays.
Old 11 August 2018, 15:00
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
The Spratly Islands are over 6000 miles from Hawaii. Six-thousand. A six, followed by 3 zeros. Miles. Six-thousand miles.

The Spratly Islands are less than 700 miles from Hainan Island. 1700ish miles from the main Japanese islands. 180ish miles from Palawan. 410 miles from Brunei. 460 miles from Vietnam.

Meanwhile, the Japanese are doing the same thing, building islands in the Philippine Sea, 850 miles from Taipei. The Philippines government is refurbishing a military base on Pagasa Island (in the Spratly Islands), and reportedly want the US to position forces once complete. The Vietnamese are reportedly considering asking the US to position forces at Cam Ranh Bay.

Yep, them Chinamen are making a big push towards Hawaii, and aim to push us back even further...hell, maybe as far as Utah. Crazy, expansionist Chinese aggression, directed solely at the US. Has nothing to do with regional power plays.
Nobody said they were going to arrive tomorrow, Gavin.

There's a reason they've procured one Aircraft Carrier and are in the process of building several more. My point is that they are a rising power, and they want to forge their own path without any constraints being put on them by an outside power, namely us.

The way they are going to do that is by expanding their sphere of influence, and perhaps the biggest move they make in that regard will be the expansion of their blue water navy. And yes, IMO, they want to be the ones calling the shots in the pacific, not the US.

My claim that they want to push us back to Hawaii may be tinged with a bit of hyperbole, but I don't think it's too far fetched to believe that China wants to be the ones calling the shots in the pacific.

It's clear you don't agree.

Our new posting rules