SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 9 October 2018, 10:31
Been There Done That

Whole 30

Gents,

Let me share something that changed my life. A few years ago I was at my lowest point physically. I couldn't sleep at night, tired all day, my gut was messed up causing me to have to shit 14 times a day, bloating.. etc..

Another TG heard me bitching and told me I ate like shit, which was odd because I didn't really eat fast food and generally didn't like sweets.

He turned me on to Whole 30 and Ill be dammed if it didn't work. I am pissed at myself for not knowing or ignoring the basic premise of eating healthy.

At any rate, if any of you are in that place I highly recommend checking it out. It took me about 8 months to fix my issues and change my habits but it has been a life changing experience.

If you have any questions hit me up.
Old 9 October 2018, 16:37
The Sagacious One

Post it here, or is it trademarked/copyrighted?
Old 9 October 2018, 16:44
Been There Done That

Sounds very similiar to Keto, Paleo or Atkins. How is it different?

No sugars, sweets, grain - plenty of vegetables, meat/fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10 October 2018, 14:06
Been There Done That

I'll dig for it.. the rules aren't any big secret, really the only cost is if you want to buy the book that explains their rationale and evidence for why it works.

Book is a little to "Pitchy" for my taste, but I was already sold on it before I read it..

The intent of the program is to let you learn how certain foods affect you and for you to decide if you need it in your life or how much of it you need in your life.. similar to testing for allergies. Do the 30 days, then one at a time, reintroduce foods you cant live without and see if it has negative effects. If it does then you know either not to eat it or eat it in limited quantities.

Basic Rules (30 Days)

No Dairy or products with any type of dairy derivative
No processed/refined sugar or substitutes
No wheat, grains or legumes
No Soy
Do not drink fluids while eating (Slows down your eating pace to allow your body to tell your brain you are full)

There are other things like don't weigh yourself... blah blah blah.. but that's all extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Post it here, or is it trademarked/copyrighted?
Old 10 October 2018, 14:10
Been There Done That

This is not meant to be a lifestyle.. just a reset to help you figure out what foods you may be eating that are causing bloating, joint pain etc.. and also to reset your sensitivity to sugar so you aren't constantly craving foods that have sugar in it.

Case in point, after no sugar for 30 days I went to eat an apple and it was damn near too sweet..

Its a really restrictive plan. I held on religiously for about a year but I had to eat the same thing, exact same thing, everyday..

Now I keep it strict for Breakfast and Lunch but I will eat some grains/legumes for dinner throughout the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Sounds very similiar to Keto, Paleo or Atkins. How is it different?

No sugars, sweets, grain - plenty of vegetables, meat/fish.
Old 10 October 2018, 14:54
?

I did it for probably 2-3 months. Had a lot of positive impacts, even the simple meal planning aspect that now I suck at again... felt good doing it after the first week and thought it was beneficial enough to hold onto a lot of pieces from it even several years later. I gave up soda almost completely now, which all started with the whole 30 program.

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 10 October 2018, 16:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by John6719 View Post
I did it for probably 2-3 months. Had a lot of positive impacts, even the simple meal planning aspect that now I suck at again... felt good doing it after the first week and thought it was beneficial enough to hold onto a lot of pieces from it even several years later. I gave up soda almost completely now, which all started with the whole 30 program.
The meal planning was the hardest adjustment. I carry my entire days worth of food in a cooler with me. Its a pain in the ass but the only way to assure I wont get caught short, cause if I'm hungry I'm eating something..
Old 11 October 2018, 06:01
Been There Done That

Sounds similiar to the 5 S plan I am trying to follow:

No sweets/sugars
No seconds
No snacks
No sodas
No starches

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 11 October 2018, 14:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Sounds similiar to the 5 S plan I am trying to follow:

No sweets/sugars
No seconds
No snacks
No sodas
No starches
Ha.. damn near the same.. although I would cave if I was limited in my food intake. I was literally stuffing my face four times a day and still lost 40 lbs..
Old 12 October 2018, 12:20
sterious scizor

The crazy stress around my previous job and family life led me to put on a lot of chunk between 2009 and 2010. I was drinking too much and eating whatever I wanted. Late 2010 I moved back to California and went on the Whole 30 for the first time. I was dogmatic about it. In 30 days I went from a size 36 waist to a 32. By 6 weeks in I was down to a size 30 waist. The whole 30 plus focusing my positive and new energy towards working out (and removing a ton of that stress) leaned me completely out.

Iíve done it a few times since and have tried to stick to a modified version. Iím definitely not as strict but the stuff works and the basic plan or idea is free. Itís meant to create a shift in your relationship to food.

Our new posting rules