Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 18 February 2012, 11:57

Quality Control of New SIG 1911s?

Question: Has SIG replaced their quality control staff in the past 6 months or so, and started making better products?

Reason I'm asking: Last week I was at my local gun shop, where I've known the owner for nearly 20 years. He had just received a shipment of new production SIG 1911s (December 2011 and January 2012), and he -- and all of his regular customers, many of whom are law enforcement and "gun guys" -- were all talking about how great these new guns were, that they were the finest production guns they had ever seen. These are people whose opinions on these matters I respect, and I've never seen them this excited before. It was almost like watching those old videos of teenagers at a Beatles or Elvis concert, or liberals in 2008 swooning over Obama.

The cosmetic appearance of the SIG 1911s seemed very nice, obviously better than my 13 year old Springfield Loaded, but I have a lousy eye for finer details. I can look at one and conclude, "yep, that's a gun," but would certainly not know what to look for when trying to determine the overall quality of the piece. I couldn't look at a part and tell you if it is MIM, cast, forged, or whittled from a magic unicorn horn by elves. It's probably why I carry a Glock, and keep an H&K USP on my nightstand.

Over the years, I had heard (but have no first hand experience) that the quality of SIG handguns has been declining for several years, and that the reliability of their 1911s were especially problematic since they were introduced nearly a decade ago.

I brought this up. Nobody denied this, but somebody mentioned that SIG has replaced their quality control engineers about 6 month ago. I have not been able to find any information to corroborate this claim.

I certainly don't need another 1911, but "want" has nothing to do with "need". I had been eyeing the Dan Wesson Valor -- a friend of mine has two of them that I've shot -- but the SIG 1911 is about 1/2 the price.
Old 18 February 2012, 12:57
Been There Done That

I have not owned a Sig 1911. Sig QC (or lack thereof) has also bit them with the 556 rifle. I got an early 556 and have had NO issues, but recently many friends (and the interwebs) advise they suck. I have not heard this same about their 1911's. If they did replace those QC turds, then they waited too long, as the complaints have been public for years.
Old 18 February 2012, 18:34
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

I am aware of a SIG 1911 that was a rental gun in the 2007-2009 time frame. It did not make the grade.

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".

Our new posting rules