SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 2 March 2006, 09:39
Authorized Personnel

Question about L3 - Titan

Has anyone worked for either organization (now combined)?? Curious about work environment, etc. Position I'm being considered for is here at Bragg at USASOC (can't be too bad, lol)...

Thanks ahead of time, folks. :)
Old 2 March 2006, 13:51
Going back

Mav,
Never heard of anything bad about them and they are all over the Box. I know my company does some of your type of gigs, but I don't know if they are in your area or not.

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 2 March 2006, 14:29
Pre-Chill

I worked for L-3 overseas, no complaints.
Old 2 March 2006, 14:52
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

L3 recently bought out a company doing a gig for USASOC, but since they are now a large comapny -- versus what they were before, I do not think they will be able to compete for that gig with the smaller companies.

In fact, if your gig is the one in question, my money is on someone else (a different company). That other company is squared-away, IMO, and if we lose to them, I will not feel bad at all....
Old 2 March 2006, 15:02
Beautiful Swimmer

I heard some poor things about L-3.

A close friend worked for L-3 in a job that required authroization for export control. Specifically- permission to interact and provide data to foreign governments.

U.S. law stipulates that you must have a TAA or an ITAR exemption letter. What is new is that State Dept now requires this even if you are a contractor representing the U.S. govt. Fine is up to $1M and 10yrs.

My friend worked for a company bouhgt out by L-3 on a contract that included interaction with S. Korea. L-3 was required to obtain export control authorization....but he is also held accountable. They would not work for TAA or ITAR - he refused to talk w/ Koreans, he was fired.

...it seemed like they were willing to take a chance on the fine rather than going through the process for export control approval. He was not willing to risk a stiff fine, jail time.

....may be an isolated incident...but it is a data point.

Author: Stephen Phillips
Old 2 March 2006, 15:17
Authorized Personnel

Thanks for the response, folks.. :)

L3 did just buy out Titan who had the contract with USASOC. They actually have a few different things that they're being contracted with to include some with USAJFKWICS... Could very well be them.. Thanks for the info, A :)
Old 2 March 2006, 21:02
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
Could very well be them....
And again, it could be that they are no longer in the running as they are too large to bid competitively. Small, minority/vet owned businesses might have the edge on these things. Or at least these particular contracts you refer to. Or maybe not. We'll have to wait and see....
Old 2 March 2006, 23:55
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB
And again, it could be that they are no longer in the running as they are too large to bid competitively. Small, minority/vet owned businesses might have the edge on these things. Or at least these particular contracts you refer to. Or maybe not. We'll have to wait and see....
I got a semi-confirmation of your info from a reliable independent source, today. It wasn't a "it's gonna happen" so much as a "willing to bet my firstborn" type of thing..

Word around the block among our fellow evil CONT type folk is that this is a dead end contract, pretty much. Ah, well...

Thanks for the info, tho, guys. Truly appreciate it. :)
Old 3 March 2006, 12:30
Retired Paratrooper, 1 ea

Mav,
I know several folks who work the logistics side for L3 at USASOC. I haven't heard any complaints from them ref. the company. If you have specific questions drop me a PM and I may be able to help.
Old 8 March 2006, 17:10
Authorized Personnel

Us commo guys get trained from time to time from the L3 guys here near DC. 'bout all I know... wouldnt mind finding a job with 'em.

Our new posting rules