SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 16 January 2020, 18:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
We're f'ing old. We should start a thread about gout, bunions, etc for us old fucks.
Is Geritol still a thing?
Old 16 January 2020, 18:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Damn. Are you feeling better? I am 52 and back in October I had a new onset of uncontrolled A-Fib with a HR of 160-230. Very dizzy with no carotid pulses. BP 60/30. Some drugs and a stint in ICU and I have stayed converted.

Scary stuff. I hope you are feeling better.
He’s got a pretty narly head wound. He can post his own mug.

Probably overnight stay.
Old 16 January 2020, 20:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
Back to normal. The night of my shot I didn't sleep worth a damn and the next day felt like I had the flue, but by this morning it was all just a memory.

And they swear I don't have to worry about ever contracting shingles. They best be right....
I got the first one at the Ann Arbor VA last month. I went to work after that, and then home shortly afterwords when I realized I wouldn't be able to drive soon. Slept 12 hours and felt fine the next morning. I wasn't worried about the 2nd one until reading your post. The worst part of the experience was dealing with my wife who was furious that I'd gotten 'another vaccine'. She thinks I'm over vaccinated at this point in my life. A couple of co-workers who've had shingles told me I made the right decision. Apparently that's an unpleasant experience.
Old 16 January 2020, 20:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 View Post
I got the first one at the Ann Arbor VA last month. I went to work after that, and then home shortly afterwords when I realized I wouldn't be able to drive soon. Slept 12 hours and felt fine the next morning. I wasn't worried about the 2nd one until reading your post. The worst part of the experience was dealing with my wife who was furious that I'd gotten 'another vaccine'. She thinks I'm over vaccinated at this point in my life. A couple of co-workers who've had shingles told me I made the right decision. Apparently that's an unpleasant experience.
Yes. It is.

Kinda like a road march with a blister and 10 miles left with sunburnt feet.
Old 16 January 2020, 20:39
Old Scroll

Had a patch of shingles on my back around 1998 or so, just below the right shoulder blade, about the size of a pack of smokes. Holy Mother of God that was about some of the worst SUSTAINED pain I've ever felt. Lasted about two weeks.

You don't want 'em. Ever.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab

Last edited by B 2/75; 16 January 2020 at 20:45.
Old 16 January 2020, 22:38
Never to old to learn

Heck all you YOUNG kids, make me feel good. Just got back from the Doc. office had a shot in my left knee. He stated it should hold me until they fix my back next month one of the screws came loose L-4 where they fused it.

So you young kids take it easy an take care of your self. This 76 year loves giving you guys a bad time.

You will Notices I was a left off the Females on the site. I don't won't to get on their bad side. My Mom didn't raise no fool when it comes to females
Old 16 January 2020, 22:40
Shakin' the bush Boss

My fishing buddy got them a couple of years ago and it scared me bad enough to get the shots. He was miserable.
Old 16 January 2020, 23:09
I reckon so. . .

My patch came two years ago last week. Lasted almost a Month to the day as far as the pain went. Scarring is now healed with just a smidgen if you know where to look.
I kept a detailed record of the event only due to polypharmacy trying to stave off the pain. Suffered 9 months of tinnitus afterward from the ibuprofen and truly nothing except a hot shower would bring relief and only as long as I was in the shower itself.
Pain came each night at 12 midnight to 0030 and abated about 0500 so I could then go back to sleep. Got pretty good at copping a nap from 2100 to pain time. Then sat with it till it went away each night. In and out of the shower probably 4 or 5 times in those hours, just trying to make it thru.

I kept a record of events so it's all still pretty fresh in my head. I was trying to keep up with when/what and how much on the meds and pain.

Patch ran from my spine all the way to my navel about 10 inches wide.
Old 16 January 2020, 23:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
My patch came two years ago last week. Lasted almost a Month to the day as far as the pain went. Scarring is now healed with just a smidgen if you know where to look.
I kept a detailed record of the event only due to polypharmacy trying to stave off the pain. Suffered 9 months of tinnitus afterward from the ibuprofen and truly nothing except a hot shower would bring relief and only as long as I was in the shower itself.
Pain came each night at 12 midnight to 0030 and abated about 0500 so I could then go back to sleep. Got pretty good at copping a nap from 2100 to pain time. Then sat with it till it went away each night. In and out of the shower probably 4 or 5 times in those hours, just trying to make it thru.

I kept a record of events so it's all still pretty fresh in my head. I was trying to keep up with when/what and how much on the meds and pain.

Patch ran from my spine all the way to my navel about 10 inches wide.

Same with me brother. Below left shoulder blade to side. Wearing a shirt created a new experience in pain every time it touched it.
Old 17 January 2020, 07:32
Confirmed User

I have sinus bradycardia according my Docs. Just a slow heart rate, or I have no heart.
Old 17 January 2020, 07:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I have sinus bradycardia according my Docs. Just a slow heart rate, or I have no heart.
It’s just 10 times too small.

In long distance runners and real fit people this is common.
Old 17 January 2020, 08:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
It’s just 10 times too small.

In long distance runners and real fit people this is common.
Hmm. Interesting.. Small.....
Old 17 January 2020, 12:53
Did...did I do that?

Going to the VA for my fasting labs and finding out once again that the care team made the appointment, but failed to actually enter the lab order. Why does the system allow this to happen?

And as I'm standing there waiting for them to fix this, the appointment rep asks if I've been to my CPAP appointment today. "What CPAP appointment?
Old 17 January 2020, 13:06
Shakin' the bush Boss

Nothing the VA does or doesn't do is really going to surprise me at this point. They once asked me how my recovery was coming from the motorcycle accident that cost me my spleen. I own no motorcycles and my spleen is largely intact, unless cheap beer effects it.
Old 17 January 2020, 14:11
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Ever have someone look at the paperwork, then at you, then back at the paperwork, then back at you, and make the comment "You are not a Vietnamese woman."?

I've been called a lot of things... but never that.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 17 January 2020, 14:33
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Going to the VA for my fasting labs and finding out once again that the care team made the appointment, but failed to actually enter the lab order. Why does the system allow this to happen?...
The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. The CBOC I go to said they would order a set of labs from a CBOC that is closer in distance. I show up for the labs appointment, and have no record of the order.
Old 17 January 2020, 18:43
Back on The Farm

You guys are scaring my with all the VA comments. I finally made my appointment (it's in freaking February!) and now I am wondering if it is going to just aggravate me even more.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John
Old 17 January 2020, 18:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
You guys are scaring my with all the VA comments. I finally made my appointment (it's in freaking February!) and now I am wondering if it is going to just aggravate me even more.
A guy in my state in Clarksburg VA OD’d 3 residents on purpose. Big Investigation of that place.

Not that I want to make you anymore anxious.

Jus saying...
Old 17 January 2020, 19:27
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
It depends on which facility you go to. The Robert J. Dole VA (Wichita) was great. Never had one issue. The ATL VAMC is the reason for most horror stories. Some of the CBOCs are better than others. YMMV
Old 17 January 2020, 21:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
It depends on which facility you go to. The Robert J. Dole VA (Wichita) was great. Never had one issue. The ATL VAMC is the reason for most horror stories. Some of the CBOCs are better than others. YMMV
Like Rosanna Rosanna Danna once said, “And that goes to show ya”. My best VA experience was at Atl VAMC circa 2003.

Our new posting rules