SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 2 December 2011, 04:40
Looking For Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
Mi dos centavos after having been in the same boat as you are in now.
Thanks for the insight bro. I would love to enjoy the college experience, but I'm currently contracting, and plan too keep on contract while I get my degree. I'm also married and have children; so the brick and mortar option is a no go for me. I don't have the luxury of being able to not work, and just be a student; I have too support my family while I go to school. Its not that bad though; making six figures and going to school, it could be worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Save yourself a lot of time and money and CLEP as many general Ed classes as you can.
I have been out of school so long, I probably wouldn't benefit much from taking the CLEP option. I guess it cant hurt though, I'll look into it.

Thanks,

Ax
Old 2 December 2011, 11:04
Amaint de Merde

Granted my experience is only limited to 3 agencies and going on 7 years in the G, but I have yet to meet a fellow agent with an intel or terrorism degree. Not saying its not useful at all, but any agency is going to look at overall work and life experience equally if not more than what your degree is in. I have what probably looks like a totally useless degree but have made it through some very tough hiring processes.

Just my .02
Old 2 December 2011, 18:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Save yourself a lot of time and money and CLEP as many general Ed classes as you can.
Don't overlook DSST and ECE; a good many of those carry upper-division credit.
Old 6 December 2011, 16:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by universible View Post
Granted my experience is only limited to 3 agencies and going on 7 years in the G, but I have yet to meet a fellow agent with an intel or terrorism degree. Not saying its not useful at all, but any agency is going to look at overall work and life experience equally if not more than what your degree is in. I have what probably looks like a totally useless degree but have made it through some very tough hiring processes.

Just my .02
Yeah, I would think it would be a liability considering how easy it is to dox someone nowadays.
Old 6 December 2011, 17:57
Amaint de Merde

Definitely a concern, but I can also think of a number of other reasons I'd question such a degree for actual work in one of those fields. They seem more like degrees you'd get to prepare to teach on such subjects. I mean, intelligence management? Anyone ever put in for a gig that required an intelligence management degree? I haven't bothered to research those types of degrees too much, but it appears they didn't really exist prior to 9/11 and thus are nothing more than a self licking ice cream cone, imo of course.
Old 8 December 2011, 21:34
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Its not that bad though; making six figures and going to school, it could be worse.
Can't turn that down man. Hope I can even find a job when I finish. Besides... your 4+ semesters straight of "Study Abroad" is a win.

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 9 December 2011, 05:10
Looking For Work

Yea its adding to my "work experience" I plan on "working abroad" the whole time I am getting my degree.
Old 17 December 2011, 13:05

University of Maryland and UMUC have some great certificate and degree programs because they work directly with the Department of Homeland Security. Its good to work toward a certificate first because the same credits will apply towards your bachelors, and with a certificate you have something to show for your work earlier on. There are really a lot of perks to the programs there that give students insight and direction for the real world application of their studies so I recommend that anyone who is interested in the three letter agencies check them out.
Old 17 December 2011, 15:02
Looking For Work

I was just talking with a dude about UMUC today. He said it was a pretty good school; he also said was trying to get into the Department of Homeland Security

Our new posting rules