SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 3 March 2015, 20:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic09 View Post
That route is a lot more writing intensive, and required participation online in fora and discussions. I didn't enjoy it much, but it did mean I could get it done in the wee hours when I had time.
I did my undergrad through Ashford University's online program, and I loved it. Each class is only five weeks long, but the upside is that you only have to take on class at a time (the downside is that you have to write a 12 - 15 page research paper every five weeks). Over a calendar semester, it's still a full load, so the GI Bill covers tuition with no problems. They also have a great veteran's program that took care of the costs of all my books, which was really helpful when it came time to pay back my student loans.
Old 4 March 2015, 23:41
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-PH View Post
I appreciate it, thanks. Do any of the schools you researched offer full time online programs? I'm a single dad, so finding time to do the brick and mortar route is a bit difficult.
I have narrowed down my search to three online-ish programs. Duke Fuqua, UNC Chapel Hill Kenan-Flagler, and Carnegie Mellon University Tepper. All three are rated as top 16 schools (different ratings depending on the reviewing group), all three have pretty solid ROI with respect to starting salaries for graduates, and all three have a pretty strong 'purchase' price as well.

Each teaching model of the three is different but the common theme is the acknowledgement of the growing online movement. Many folks who want to continue their degree can't or will not leave their job to pursue higher education.

CMU requires part-time hybrid students to visit the Pittsburgh campus every seven week for a weekend immersion filled with all sorts of learning events. The rest of the seminar is conducted online via a WebEx type platform. CMU has a strong historical reputation (think Andrew Carnegie) and differs in their teaching methodology using analytic driven modeling versus what most MBA programs use, the case method model.

Duke offers the Cross Continent MBA which takes you all over the world to globally hot market-places once ever eleven or so weeks. Like CMU and UNC Chapel Hill, the rest of the time is spent on an online platform. The total for a Duke CCMBA is right up there with Harvard, Wharton, Booth, etc. Expect the price tag for the 18 month course, international plane tickets and time away from work, to be around $150k. However, If I remember correctly, over 70% of students receive some type of financial assistance (grants, tuition waivers, etc).

UNC Chapel Hill's Kenan-Flagler school of business offers the only mostly true online program from the group I've looked into. I say mostly true because over the 20-36 months of the program you are required to attend at least two national or international conferences. All three are global in scope and have pretty solid reputations. There are many more online programs available but the ones above are the three that I've exclusively focused on. If you are any SOCNETers have questions, ping me via pm and I'll help pass along what I've learned.
Old 6 March 2015, 13:33
Find a way out

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical Cookie View Post
I have narrowed down my search to three online-ish programs. Duke Fuqua, UNC Chapel Hill Kenan-Flagler, and Carnegie Mellon University Tepper. All three are rated as top 16 schools (different ratings depending on the reviewing group), all three have pretty solid ROI with respect to starting salaries for graduates, and all three have a pretty strong 'purchase' price as well.
Great choices for the online programs you have there. I've attached a list of the online MBA program rankings and the Kenan-Flager is tied for first. CMU is not that far down the list either!

The Duke program isn't on the list but I honestly think that's in a league of it's own.

For those interested:

If anyone is interested in rankings (or any information of how the University might compare to others), I have about 8 months left of my subscription to USNews.com college review system. I could look up information regarding the University or program you're interested in.

I plan on attending a 2-MBA program next year so I'm doing my research now. In Finance, recruiting services and networking are just as important as the education you get at the school. So I'll be doing that B&M.
Attached Images
File Type: png Rankings.png (96.6 KB, 120 views)

-Michael Malice
Old 19 March 2015, 23:13
NKDA

This came up in another thread but I thought I'd post it here as well as it is topic relevant:

The George Washington University in Washington, D.C. now has fully-online Undergraduate and Graduate programs in Security-related fields.

Bachelor of Science in Police and Security Studies

Master of Professional Studies in Security and Safety Leadership

I got my Masters (in a different subject) from GWU and can't say enough good things about the university and the staff/professors. It was definitely no cakewalk BTW.

Highly regarded reputable school and known worldwide in Health, Security, and Public Policy. Ranked #54 overall in the Nation by US News and World Report.

Our new posting rules