SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 6 December 2015, 21:49
Confirmed User

Udemy Hacking Course

I came across this today, curious as to what the technically inclined members think about its worth. $49 bucks is pretty easy either way.

https://www.udemy.com/penetration-te...2-ae5f254733ae
Old 6 December 2015, 22:14
Vivat Fraternitatis

Haven't taken it but from browsing the contents, it appears to be a VERY basic introduction to the field.

This book has gotten stellar reviews from others in the community, and the paperback is half the Udemy course:

The Hacker Playbook 2: Practical Guide to Penetration Testing
Old 6 December 2015, 22:27
Administrator

I was playing around with a series of videos on youtube last week ref learning to use Kali Linux. Seemed to me that it is a lot like a lot of shooting schools that teach tactics.....usually good at teaching you what to do, but not so much at teaching why you are doing it. Learning how can be done in hours....learning why, cannot. Just my REALLY NON-hacker opinion.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 7 December 2015, 07:16
Voodoo guru

Not bad material. But it falls into the telling you "what" to think, not "how" to think. No real downside to the course if you're doing it for informational purposes.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 7 December 2015, 09:31
Authorized Personnel

You don't actually get into any kind of action until Lecture 13, module 33. And there's no exploitation until Lecture 15, module 41.

Get the book MountainBum recommended and save yourself some cash. Also, pick up some of the free distros out there that allow you to exploit vulnerable machines via VMs.

Finally, the functional depth of the field is nearly unfathomable. No one reason will make you proficient. Like shooting, you have to do it over and over and over. It is a diminishing skill that exists in a constantly evolving environment.

Last edited by CV; 7 December 2015 at 09:36.
Old 7 December 2015, 09:53
Been There Done That

That course looks pretty decent imo, for 199 it depends on your experience and how you learn.
Seems fun to take the course, read the book, get a pineApple and dive right in...but that's just me.
Old 7 December 2015, 11:39
Authorized Personnel

Sorry, my reply was in the clouds. It looks like a good course for the money. If you have a way to get it for $49, then that's awesome.
Old 7 December 2015, 21:17
Confirmed User

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sadly it looks like the $49 offer has expired, but in my everlasting quest for continuing education, maybe that book is worth a shot.

ETA: Could you elaborate on the below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Get the book MountainBum recommended and save yourself some cash. Also, pick up some of the free distros out there that allow you to exploit vulnerable machines via VMs.
Old 9 December 2015, 10:49
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
ETA: Could you elaborate on the below?
Think of it as launch platforms and targets. Since you can't practice against legit targets without getting in trouble, you'll need to set up a virtual "range" on your internal network through interconnected VMs of various operating systems.

Example would be your launch platform is a Kali Linux VM. Your virtual range would be operating systems like Metasploitable (a purposely vulnerable version of Linux) and others like it all wired up together on the same virtual subnet through VMWare or Virtualbox.

Generally, the hallmark of a good pentesting course or book is either access to a pre-made range or instructions on how to set up your own. The above book instructs on the latter. Some of the higher end courses (OSCP) give you access to the former.

Hope that helps.
Old 9 December 2015, 21:45
Confirmed User

Very helpful, thanks for the clarification. In the end I chose to go with the CompTIA A+ course offered through the DHS/FedVTE program, which may be of interest to some.

http://www.dhs.gov/blog/2015/11/24/h...through-fedvte

Last edited by Atrax; 9 December 2015 at 22:10.

Our new posting rules