SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Closed Thread

Old 8 June 2011, 05:54
Cat Lover Extraordinaire.....

I think as a general consensus that if you going to be in the WPPS/Security OCONUS type of job, you need a couple of things in your go bag....

1) Solid background
2) ability to bend over ass backward for those days....
3) physical fitness

Everything else, is pretty much, given or can be taught...but you can't teach fitness or assume everyone is or will be fit and pass it, as TRIPOD had mentioned. Even some of the bigger dudes who can push 3 X the weight had to work at the stretch or Illinois Agility Run and especially 1.5 mile run.

But we all had heard of SGT ROCK's legendary feats of strength from any one who ever went through ITI in TX or VA....ROCK 's feats of strength ....especially around Festivus...the holiday where "Feats of Strength" is always a test of manhood....

Be safe everyone, good luck to you brother!
Old 8 June 2011, 10:22
Looking For Work

Thanks for the insight fellas.. Now off to the range to get some time on the Glock19.

Ax
Old 8 June 2011, 22:56
Moderator Weapons & H2H

When I took the test for WPPS II the first thing we did was the bench press. The guy ahead of me on the Universal machine could not push up his weight. I was next and walked up and they forgot to change the weight lower, I weighed about 30 lbs less than the guy ahead of me, I commenced to press the weight and do a few reps and the instructors all said out loud now thats what we want to see!!!! So right off the bat I was the oldest in my class and the smallest but I came prepared,did what was asked of me and some more and impressed the instructors. My point is come prepared not to do the minimum 70 % BS but have some pride and strive to kick ass in everything you do whether its the Physical tests, the scenarios or on the range. Your reward will be a very comfortable living and pride in yourself!

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX
Old 18 July 2011, 14:45

Excellent Info

I am currently awaiting the start of my own PSS course, and I have to say, this information has been very helpful. Thanks to all who posted.
Old 18 July 2011, 17:32
Confirmed User

My buddy had same concerns a month out from vetting. Great shape and not a lifter. I would much rather carry him, or pull him out of the drivers seat in a situation then some of the gym rats out there. I spent a whole rotation home going to the gym doing every bench workout I could think of with him. When he got there he eeked out his bench test with flying colors. Go to the gym now, and with someone who goes to the gym to help. give yourself at least 2 to 3 days rest before vetting. Good luck.
Old 18 July 2011, 19:44
Authorized Personnel

Holy Sweet Mother of Jesus.....are we stil talking about this?

Standards are standards, it is what it is. Good luck to all of you future candidates. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Tripod
Old 19 July 2011, 07:59
Looking For Work

Tripod,

Are you an instructor at the FLETC location in LA?

Also guys don't half step the PT standards, so many guys that failed the run its mind blowing.. The bench is what it is. Just get some time on a fulcrum bench and remember it starts with all the weight on your chest and goes one time up.
Old 19 July 2011, 14:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Tripod,

Are you an instructor at the FLETC location in LA?
Nope.
Old 19 July 2011, 14:34
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Tripod, are you an instructor at the FLETC location in LA?

There is no FLETC location in LA.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 19 July 2011, 16:21
Administrator

Thread has outlived it's purpose.

Closed
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules